Archived How hard is packing as compared to loading/unloading trailers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean as far as how physical it is. I'm planning on applying to a DC but know I wouldn't have the stamina for trailer work considering how out of shape I am so I'm going to apply for a packing position. What is the work like and how physical is it? Heavy lifting isn't a problem but will I be doing a lot of going up and down step stools all night like they do in the trailer and running around or are you mostly in one spot? Do people generally like working in packing? Thanks

Hmm, searched under his username but nothing came up as far as what packing is like. Hope he sees this thread.

It's much less physically demanding then Outbound. The Physical Ability Test is not required and 95% of packers are women. You will be standing in a packing module with 3-5 other packers taking items from vendor cases and tossing the SSPs into repack boxes bound for the stores. The most physically demanding part of the job is lifting the full repack boxes and placing them on the takeaway line.

Like any job at the DC, you will have to meet productivity expectations - I think the standard is around 300 SSPs per hour. Packers are also the least likely to get overtime and often have their hours reduced. They earn about 83% of a warehouse workers wages which is still almost double what you would make in a store.

ok, ok, I'm up. Now lets start with what my DC has as requirements for packers. luck for you guys i managed to write a couple of notes on the back of the interview structure and FAQ'S for packers!

Lift up to 30 pounds.
Verify and pack merchandise from cartons to store cartons in quantities more readily sold by stores.
accurately scan labels.

Please note that we do NOT require the physical abilities test for packer positions. I'm not going to disclose exact starting pay, but it's in the neighborhood of $11 at my DC, about $2 less than most team members. Of course this like all hourly positions is a progression pay, meaning you'll receive pay raise every six months till you top out after 24 months in the neighborhood of $14 then your stuck with the annual wage survey raise.

Now the way packing works at my DC! Warehouse workers will feed freight into the packing modes from cage carts till the non-powered conveyor is full. Hardlines on one side of the conveyor and softlines on the other, there are designated mods for "high value sku's " that are under constant surveillance by assets protections. Each of these case packs is opened and scanned. A "put to light" system , check you tube you'll find videos that explain the technology, will direct you where to put the product. Each side of the individual packing module, a mod for short, has pre-designated locations for boxes that will be going to each store your DC supports.In my DC this means that we will be at peak packing out 48 cartons to head to any store we support. Once the original carton is emptied it's tossed over the take away line and into the trash line. Once a store carton, you've seen these come in on your inbound trailers, is filled it will be pushed out onto the take away lane to head off to the shipping sorter. Should you forget to tape the store carton closed, close it out in the put to light system, ect there is a green cord to pull. this will stop the take away line but PLEASE remember to pull it again and make sure the line starts moving again. Most of the day will be spent in a packing mod. As more buildings get the "tiny burden" system there is also residuals processing, it functions on a very similar basis with a few differences. but it's also staffed by packers.

Hatemyjob was correct about hours, there WILL be ot in fall season and if the backlog of freight to process is to big, however you will be the first department to VLE or flex down once volumes drop.

I think I covered most of the basics.

Sorry, Just re-read your original post. Packing is no where near as physical as most of the other positions, like I said the qualifications are for lifting 30 pounds. It will be a very rare occurance that you even see a step stool. The packers at my DC tend to stick around a while, there will always be those who just don't fit in and manage to wash out. Generally speaking at present there's a bit of malaise in the mods dragging down the packers #'s according to the most recent DMA. However generally there is a certain Esprit de corp , just no where near what we've got in Fac Ops.

I can ask a few packers tonight what there thoughts are if you'd like.

Sorry, Just re-read your original post. Packing is no where near as physical as most of the other positions, like I said the qualifications are for lifting 30 pounds. It will be a very rare occurance that you even see a step stool. The packers at my DC tend to stick around a while, there will always be those who just don't fit in and manage to wash out. Generally speaking at present there's a bit of malaise in the mods dragging down the packers #'s according to the most recent DMA. However generally there is a certain Esprit de corp , just no where near what we've got in Fac Ops.

I can ask a few packers tonight what there thoughts are if you'd like.

Yeah, if you don't mind that would be nice. I checked on pay for here (midwest, wont say which state just in case) and last I knew pay for packers started at a little over 13 and hour. Not trailer pay but **** better than what I'm at right now. Haven't heard much about hours but from my buddy who works at the DC he's never heard of packers here at least that got anything less than 40 hours. I suppose every DC is different..

Asked a couple of our packers but the timing sucks, way to close to bts to get honest answers. and as you pointed out the pay at older established DC's does vary from newer prototype DC's. I can tell you I like working for Target, it's a totally different culture from every job I've had before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back