Archived How have the after-holiday hours affected your store?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, let me start this off!

Our backroom has gone to Hell. We're lucky to even have 3 team members upstairs pulling MyFA, Location Checks, CAF, Plano, Price Change and Curbside! We've been having pallets of overstock sit around for a few days because we just don't have the team to finish it. I checked the CAF Monitor today, and one of our hourly pulls equaled to 12 hours! Not to mention an average of 15 MyFAs constantly dropping. The fact that everyone in the backroom has got their hours cut has definitely screwed us over, big time. Although, our team has been cut in half due to everyone putting in their two weeks. How's your backroom been doing after the holidays?

Our backroom is spread pretty thin as well, however we're only doing the bare minimum. We have 5 TMs throughout the day, no more than 3 at one time. We have a lot of TMs, so we're each only getting scheduled about 3 days a week/just under 20 hours. However, we also have 4-5 TMs who have only been around for a month or two, so it leaves those of us with more experience to pick up a lot of the slack.

Our back room is a hot mess. The chances of them getting caught up before Easter seems slim. The ETL told the TL that she was tired of the "we don't have enough hours" excuse and that they needed to get it done. When he asked how, she turned around and walked away. I think she's lucky he didn't turn around and walk out.

On top of all of this, it's been mostly new people pushing the truck, because our ETL-HR finally announced the new vacation policy a week before Christmas to our store by putting a sign in the breakroom. Yes, it was mentioned in the LOD meeting in September, but it was considered confidential then because they wanted to talk to the affected TMs personally. Only they never did. So that means all of our TMs who have been there forever who didn't want the payout all put in for vacation time last week and this week.

I hear they are having a boatload of fun back there right now.

The backroom at our store is crazy too right now. I work on the sales floor and I've started to put back my own backstock/scanning it back to backroom location just so they don't have that extra crap laying around but it really isn't making a dent either.

Our back room is a hot mess. The chances of them getting caught up before Easter seems slim. The ETL told the TL that she was tired of the "we don't have enough hours" excuse and that they needed to get it done. When he asked how, she turned around and walked away. I think she's lucky he didn't turn around and walk out.

On top of all of this, it's been mostly new people pushing the truck, because our ETL-HR finally announced the new vacation policy a week before Christmas to our store by putting a sign in the breakroom. Yes, it was mentioned in the LOD meeting in September, but it was considered confidential then because they wanted to talk to the affected TMs personally. Only they never did. So that means all of our TMs who have been there forever who didn't want the payout all put in for vacation time last week and this week.

I hear they are having a boatload of fun back there right now.
When you saying the tms who had been there forever and didn't want the payout ...what do you mean?

what is the new vacation policy?
Policy is changing. All vacation accrued as of January 1st will no longer be paid out upon parting with the company unless your state requires it. Vacation earned before the 1st of the year will still be paid out, but that vacation will be used first when you use vacation. You can now only hoard up to 1.5 times the annual amount of your accrual limit. If you are over that now, you will receive a check for the difference.

Thanks
Retail girl

Our backroom is a bit of a mess, but we were actually staffed well enough to start to recover. We had about 4 BRTMs in the morning, along with the BRTL and 2 ETLs helping out. Plus, we finished with our SFS workload a bit early so we had me and one other SFS TM backstocking while the other got started on tomorrow's workload.

Relieved that my store isn't the only one whose backrooms are out of control. You literally have no room to just walk down aisles in both light-duty and steel. Forget about pushing a 3-tier, tub, or flat down them. Not that there are any available because the great majority of them have backstock on them.

The hallway next to the HBA stockroom is literally jam packed with product. So much so, that the only way to get to the fire door is by climbing on top of and across the loaded 3-tiers, flats, and pallets shoved in there. The Fire Marshal would have a field day. It is so jam packed that there are full vehicles over flowing onto the sales floor just sitting there.

I won't even describe the hell hole the Electonics backroom is.

The problem is, we are a push all store. Once the Autos are pulled, the backroom team goes out on the floor to help Flow push. Even then they can't complete pushing the truck, so all the backstock (and un-pushed freight) just piles up in (and out of) the backrooms.

Our STL is great, he pitches in where ever it is needed, but they just aren't giving him the hours needed to do what must be done.

Back in the day, stores would still have sufficient hours in January to "bounce back" from the mess of the holidays. Now, they want those hours to prop up the revenue so Target can say they had a successful season and fiscal year. Current January hours are more like February hours used to be.

And, once February gets here, look for more cuts.

It is really frustrating when you are looking up an item for a guest, and the system says we have more than a few but there are none on the floor and none located in the backroom. I really don't know how Flex and SFS find most of the items they need to fulfill an order.

I have NEVER seen it this bad before.

Last edited:
Wow, we aren't anywhere near that bad. We do have some pallets of overstock in and around the steel. our Womens/Mens stockroom as well as the Infant stockroom are terrible as always, but nothing insane. Our Electronics stockroom is actually really good right about now, we had two people in there on Friday clearing out all of the backstock.

Our backroom is hanging on by a thread. Our hours have been cut by like 90%. Next week I work a half day shift for the entire week. It's good stuff. Almost feels like I'm on an episode of Punk'd.

@Firefox and @Hardlinesmaster: Good to know some stores have it under control. Other factors contributing to our mess: our Hardlines ETL is a jerk and doesn't pitch-in to help, the STL-Logistics is relatively new and laid back, our Backroom STL isn't scheduled enough in the Backroom, and our new ETL-Logistics is young, brand new (started in November after Thanksgiving), and thinks he knows more than the TMs who have been here for years. He's basically this:
image.jpeg

We're not looking that bad either though that might change this week since Im temporarily on another workcenter this week and the other BRTM is off the whole week so you pretty much lose the two best TMs on a week with 5 trailers.

Fuck

It is really frustrating when you are looking up an item for a guest, and the system says we have more than a few but there are none on the floor and none located in the backroom. I really don't know how Flex and SFS find most of the items they need to fulfill an order.

Are you looking at how many are on the floor? Or are you clicking the item name and actually viewing on hands? On hands is the accurate number, not on floor.

Last edited:
@Firefox and @Hardlinesmaster: Good to know some stores have it under control. Other factors contributing to our mess: our Hardlines ETL is a jerk and doesn't pitch-in to help, the STL-Logistics is relatively new and laid back, our Backroom STL isn't scheduled enough in the Backroom, and our new ETL-Logistics is young, brand new (started in November after Thanksgiving), and thinks he knows more than the TMs who have been here for years. He's basically this:
View attachment 1670
Backroom Stl? Stl-logistics? Do you mean team lead?

Time for me to chime in. Our dayside backroom hours were slashed to around 200-250 hours. We have to split those hours among 8 people, with 3 people going to school and another with another job. So imagine trying to handle the BT routines consistently with 3 people, today. Mondays usually consist of Sweep, POGs, CAFs, Guest Orders, Walkie Calls, and various clean up.

Thank Goodness, my (LoD) ETL-Op understands the importance of the Backroom.

Relieved that my store isn't the only one whose backrooms are out of control. You literally have no room to just walk down aisles in both light-duty and steel. Forget about pushing a 3-tier, tub, or flat down them. Not that there are any available because the great majority of them have backstock on them.

The hallway next to the HBA stockroom is literally jam packed with product. So much so, that the only way to get to the fire door is by climbing on top of and across the loaded 3-tiers, flats, and pallets shoved in there. The Fire Marshal would have a field day. It is so jam packed that there are full vehicles over flowing onto the sales floor just sitting there.

I won't even describe the hell hole the Electonics backroom is.

The problem is, we are a push all store. Once the Autos are pulled, the backroom team goes out on the floor to help Flow push. Even then they can't complete pushing the truck, so all the backstock (and un-pushed freight) just piles up in (and out of) the backrooms.

Our STL is great, he pitches in where ever it is needed, but they just aren't giving him the hours needed to do what must be done.

Back in the day, stores would still have sufficient hours in January to "bounce back" from the mess of the holidays. Now, they want those hours to prop up the revenue so Target can say they had a successful season and fiscal year. Current January hours are more like February hours used to be.

And, once February gets here, look for more cuts.

Time for me to chime in. Our dayside backroom hours were slashed to around 200-250 hours. We have to split those hours among 8 people, with 3 people going to school and another with another job. So imagine trying to handle the BT routines consistently with 3 people, today. Mondays usually consist of Sweep, POGs, CAFs, Guest Orders, Walkie Calls, and various clean up.

Thank Goodness, my (LoD) ETL-Op understands the importance of the Backroom.

This pretty much describes how our backroom is 10 months out of the year. We actually started to make some progress in December, but it ground to a halt and started reversing by the week of Christmas.

Our problem, as always, is ETL-LOG incompetence and the inability to hire and retain new TMs.

Our backroom hours got slashed pretty badly. We only come clean on the quietest weekdays, and of course, overnight gets pissed if we don't get through everything. Like it's my fault that Spot cut payroll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back