How long do transfers take?

This isn't me, but for one of my GM TL's. A few weeks ago, I overheard her in a conversation and while I couldn't quite make out everything being said, I could gather that she was talking about here at work. Then there was a point when I clearly heard her say "I'll put in my transfer tomorrow." I'm keeping in mind that she could very well have been referring to a non-work related transfer of sorts, but I'm just going to assume that she was indeed talking about transferring to another Target store.

I heard that conversation on December 12th and that means that she would've put in a potential transfer on the 13th, exactly three weeks ago today. I'm only asking because I'm a GM Team Member who's in development for leadership and I obviously want this leader to leave so that the role can open up. This GMTL was promoted back in late August/early September and I'm just really hoping that she's already out the door. It really feels like some of my leaders have been really stepping up my development in the past few weeks and I'm hoping it's because they're prepping me for this role opening up in the event of a transfer. I just really want the role to open up and now I'm curious as to how long her transfer is suppose to take, assuming she put one in like she said she did.

If a position is open, 2 weeks or 30 days. If you did well in your area without being told what to do, exceed goals & beat their expectations. Along with fixing past mgt conflicts.
Spot doesn't forget the event you had with your Etl.
Then add a political factor where spot has someone else in mind for the tl job.

Last edited:
If a position is open, 2 weeks or 30 days. If you did well in your area without being told what to do, exceed goals & beat their expectations. Along with fixing past mgt conflicts.
Spot doesn't forget the event you had with your Etl.
Then add a political factor where spot has someone else in mind for the tl job.
I already said that this isn’t for me. It’s for one of my GM leaders. Read the whole post instead of just the title.

They take however long they take. If there’s no position open at the other store it could be months. If the other store doesn’t want that person they don’t have to take them.

They take however long they take. If there’s no position open at the other store it could be months. If the other store doesn’t want that person they don’t have to take them.
Well I have my worries that she may not be transferring at all. Last night during our closing shift, our closing TL was doing her closing walk and the GMTL tagged along. It was clear that the closing TL was showing the GMTL the basics of how to do a closing walk around the store. Why would our closing TL be showing the GMTL how to walk our store if the latter was indeed transferring?

Well I have my worries that she may not be transferring at all. Last night during our closing shift, our closing TL was doing her closing walk and the GMTL tagged along. It was clear that the closing TL was showing the GMTL the basics of how to do a closing walk around the store. Why would our closing TL be showing the GMTL how to walk our store if the latter was indeed transferring?
They could be preparing her to be a closing TL at the other store.

Transfers can take anywhere from a day to several months. There are just too many unknowns.

I already said that this isn’t for me. It’s for one of my GM leaders. Read the whole post instead of just the title.
Well you are hoping that they transfer so you can take their job. I don't think a few weeks after being passed over for another TL position that all of the sudden you are now ready to take on the promotion.

Well you are hoping that they transfer so you can take their job. I don't think a few weeks after being passed over for another TL position that all of the sudden you are now ready to take on the promotion.
It’s not like I was passed up by any of the leaders at our store. Like I said in my other post, this new GMTL was just dumped on us by the district director and nobody in our store could do anything about it.

And I genuinely feel like I’m in a better place now in terms of development. I’ve spent the past few weeks closing and basically being a designated leader on the sales floor. My GM ETL has phrased it as “owning the closing team” and she’s been adamant about me taking up some typical leadership duties. I’ve been doing things like carrying a grid with me, logging into the leader phone, keeping an eye on OPU’s, calling out price audits, running my own huddles, assigning roles for DBO’s, tagging along for closing walks, taking notes on MPM, and a whole bunch of other things that leaders normally do.

I know that I still have plenty to learn and there’s always room for improvement, but I feel like my leaders are finally giving me more to do in terms of developing me for leadership.

It’s not like I was passed up by any of the leaders at our store. Like I said in my other post, this new GMTL was just dumped on us by the district director and nobody in our store could do anything about it.

And I genuinely feel like I’m in a better place now in terms of development. I’ve spent the past few weeks closing and basically being a designated leader on the sales floor. My GM ETL has phrased it as “owning the closing team” and she’s been adamant about me taking up some typical leadership duties. I’ve been doing things like carrying a grid with me, logging into the leader phone, keeping an eye on OPU’s, calling out price audits, running my own huddles, assigning roles for DBO’s, tagging along for closing walks, taking notes on MPM, and a whole bunch of other things that leaders normally do.

I know that I still have plenty to learn and there’s always room for improvement, but I feel like my leaders are finally giving me more to do in terms of developing me for leadership.
Good luck and remember it's not the end if you don't get promoted this time around. Just keep doing what you stated above and you will eventually get there.

Maybe GMTL is going to start closing weekends. Maybe GMTL was talking about transferring merchandise to another store.

Maybe GMTL is going to start closing weekends. Maybe GMTL was talking about transferring merchandise to another store.

I was just going to say this. Our TL's all rotate weekends to close, they might've been learning that.

I've also heard that there have been issues with TM transfers. IDK what it is or why, just overheard that we've had 2 TM's that transferred in from another store in early December that they still haven't been able to get into the system. So, maybe this new GMTL put in the transfer to be at your store but it's held up somehow. She may have been telling someone how long it's been and that she'll "re-transfer" tomorrow. Who knows. If it got screwed up they might have to start everything over to actually get her into your stores system.

I was just going to say this. Our TL's all rotate weekends to close, they might've been learning that.

I've also heard that there have been issues with TM transfers. IDK what it is or why, just overheard that we've had 2 TM's that transferred in from another store in early December that they still haven't been able to get into the system. So, maybe this new GMTL put in the transfer to be at your store but it's held up somehow. She may have been telling someone how long it's been and that she'll "re-transfer" tomorrow. Who knows. If it got screwed up they might have to start everything over to actually get her into your stores system.
This GMTL isn't a transfer from another store. She's a 19 year old who started out as new to the company as a whole back last January and was internally promoted back in late August/early September.

Also, she's been a lead for roughly four months now. Why would they wait to have her closing weekends? Why not just have her closing weekends right after her promotion?

Also, she's been a lead for roughly four months now. Why would they wait to have her closing weekends? Why not just have her closing weekends right after her promotion?
Seems like a good way to ease someone into the position, especially if she hadn't been with the company for very long. The closer will likely be by themselves for a significant portion of their shift. If they give her all mids, they are making sure she is never alone while she is learning her role. Or maybe they did have her as the opener for a while and waited until after Christmas to have her learn closing.

Seems like a good way to ease someone into the position, especially if she hadn't been with the company for very long. The closer will likely be by themselves for a significant portion of their shift. If they give her all mids, they are making sure she is never alone while she is learning her role. Or maybe they did have her as the opener for a while and waited until after Christmas to have her learn closing.
That doesn’t make any sense. Why would they not include this as part of her development? My closing leader and GM ETL have included me on some of their closing walks and I’m not even a leader.

That doesn’t make any sense. Why would they not include this as part of her development? My closing leader and GM ETL have included me on some of their closing walks and I’m not even a leader.
They did include it in her development. They just delayed it so they could focus on more important stuff first.

They did include it in her development. They just delayed it so they could focus on more important stuff first.
So I take it she's not transferring then. If they're training her on closing, then they're obviously expecting her to stick around for a while.

The latest responses from you, are saying that you want the tl job. Plus, that tl is a 19 year old.
Please ask that tl if they are transferring or not.

You are way overthinking things.

If she just got promoted a few months ago they are very likely not transferring her out.

Development takes months and years, not a few weeks. You will not be promoted this quarter and based on what you’ve shared here I would not promote you at all.

Training for a new role takes months, not a few weeks. This is a new TL who has likely never had a lead role before. They will learn and be trained on new things through the next year. If this TL has aspirations to be an ETL they will receive intense and continual training.

This GMTL isn't a transfer from another store. She's a 19 year old who started out as new to the company as a whole back last January and was internally promoted back in late August/early September.

LOL They're not going to throw in closer training on top of TL training in the midst of Q4. There isn't time for that. Closing is a whole different ball game and there is WAY more to it than the "development" they're having you do. She likely didn't even have a full set of keys through Q4.

Things take time. Training takes time. You don't just get word that you're promoted and BOOM you know everything.

Every single post/thread you make in this forum and on Reddit is a glaring, flashing, noisy as hell neon sign as to why you haven't been promoted.

TL;DR - the best thing you can do for yourself is to ask your SD/ETL what is going on - in the nicest, most professional way. Practice it at home first.

LOL They're not going to throw in closer training on top of TL training in the midst of Q4. There isn't time for that. Closing is a whole different ball game and there is WAY more to it than the "development" they're having you do. She likely didn't even have a full set of keys through Q4.

Things take time. Training takes time. You don't just get word that you're promoted and BOOM you know everything.

Every single post/thread you make in this forum and on Reddit is a glaring, flashing, noisy as hell neon sign as to why you haven't been promoted.

TL;DR - the best thing you can do for yourself is to ask your SD/ETL what is going on - in the nicest, most professional way. Practice it at home first.
They literally had me do closing training in the midst of Q4. We’re talking less than a week before Christmas and my TL’s were training me on closing the store and doing walks.

And why the quotes around “development”? Do my duties the past few weeks not sound like they’re prepping me for a lead role?

Great. I just found out that she’s just been given her own set of keys officially, meaning that she’s staying at this store and probably not transferring.

I’m never going to get promoted.

Back