Archived How many call-offs are alright?

How often do generally you call off?

• Once a week or more

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twice a month

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Once a month

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • Once every few months

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • A few times a year

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • Never

Votes: 23 26.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought it was from the dog's name.

Just don't make it a habitual thing. One person seems to call in every pay period and trust me, they notice. If you're truly sick, all you gotta do is say I'm sick and can't come in. They may try to abuse your right to remain silent. Being too inebriated to work doesn't qualify as being sick, which was the case of a former coworker.

Been at spot 2 1/2 years .. no call outs from me! It's a little discouraging though that I got the same raise last year as the girl who called off 2-4 times a month and I have never called off. It really doesn't matter at my store if you show up or not I guess.
Serious question: What the hell do you do when you get sick? Do you just go in anyways? I feel like that's so irresponsible and just leads to other team members catching whatever you have. Wouldn't it make the store look bad too? "Geez, they wouldn't even let their sick as hell employee stay home, this store is run by dicks" etc?

---

Also, it's worth noting that my store might be more lenient on call-offs. During training it was stressed a LOT that if you're sick, they absolutely don't want you in the store. I previously assumed that was every store, but judging from all the people saying they've never called off, maybe that was just my store.

Serious question: What the hell do you do when you get sick? Do you just go in anyways? I feel like that's so irresponsible and just leads to other team members catching whatever you have. Wouldn't it make the store look bad too? "Geez, they wouldn't even let their sick as hell employee stay home, this store is run by dicks" etc?

---

Also, it's worth noting that my store might be more lenient on call-offs. During training it was stressed a LOT that if you're sick, they absolutely don't want you in the store. I previously assumed that was every store, but judging from all the people saying they've never called off, maybe that was just my store.
Part of it is good habits to keep from getting sick, part is luck, part is taking medication when you do get sick, and part is going to work sick. Some people seem to get sick every 2 or 3 months; others can go years without even getting a cold. The latter group has the people who are saying they haven't called off in years.

Why isn't there a 'Never' option to this poll?

Surely I'm not the only one here who has never called out... right?

We're in the same boat.

I, too, like to live dangerously have never called in. I've been erroneously charged with a NCNS because dumb HR TL (back when that position still existed at my store), but I've never called in. I've only been sick beyond a cold once since I was hired; this was, of course, on a day off.

---

If you work in a food area, you have no business coming into work sick. You have a responsibility not to pass germs to the guests via food.

Part of it is good habits to keep from getting sick, part is luck, part is taking medication when you do get sick, and part is going to work sick. Some people seem to get sick every 2 or 3 months; others can go years without even getting a cold. The latter group has the people who are saying they haven't called off in years.

Orange juice and LOTS of hand sanitizer. And occasionally medicine if it's that bad.

August 1st, 2012- January 1, 2014 I had 0 call outs while working 40hrs a week.

January 2, 2014-May 31, 2015 I had two call outs. Both due to illness.

April 1, 2015-Today I've had 7 call outs. 4 due to illness that left me bed ridden leading into a 3 day weekend so I had 7 days off, but damn near death for 6 of them. 2 of those I was put at another store for a month and wasn't at all motivated to show up at 8AM on consecutive Mondays. 7th call out was this past Wednesday due to heavy snow.

I know some people can call out twice a month and never get corrective action.

If you work in a food area, you have no business coming into work sick. You have a responsibility not to pass germs to the guests via food.

I do not, I work cashier. To be fair, that's also handling food in the case of groceries, though.

---

I don't get sick that often. The most I will ever get is a runny nose. Trust me, if I was puking or had a fever I wouldnt be going in. I havent been sick like that though since I was 8.

I don't do that. I let them get up and find their own cart.

Once or twice a year. I called out for the snow storm over the weekend, which was my first callout since May. The store ended up closing 2 hours later. As far as I'm concerned, I'm still in the clear to call out again in the near future.

I worked two shifts back in September with a fever of 102 and didn't know it. I never get sick other than just the general crud that goes around (stuffy/runny nose, slight congestion), but that's it. I had no clue that's what a fever felt like. I just thought I was weak and delirious. Still got the men's adjacency and tables set one day and all of shoes purged the next.

I average calling out about twice per year. More times than not those call outs are weather related Ie icy roads etc. .I don't judge others who call out . The reason being you never know what they care going through.

Is the ETL allowed to ask why we're calling out? I thought I heard they aren't supposed to...yet I've heard most of the ETLs at my store asking TMs why they're going to be late/calling out. Not making a big fuss over it, just curiosity.

Is the ETL allowed to ask why we're calling out? I thought I heard they aren't supposed to...yet I've heard most of the ETLs at my store asking TMs why they're going to be late/calling out. Not making a big fuss over it, just curiosity.
Ask your hr, that question. Every store is different.

I called out once in my first year with Target. (Not really a call out - my dad died and I had to go out of state to the funeral.) But I have called out twice this month. Once I was legitimately unable to work - but the other time I was just sick of working and didn't want to go in. It felt wrong to do it - but it was so nice to take a break. Working 2 jobs was starting to drain the life out of me.

I was at my last job for 10 years and called out twice. :D

For real. I never get sick. :eek:o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back