How safe is my job?

I was hired on a few months ago. Enrolled in benefits, vest-free. However I've noticed quite a few people getting fired since my start date, including seasoned vets. I signed a lease and move-in is mid-January. I'm one hell of a worker, but I'm scared I'll be one of the ones weeded out. Perhaps I should get out of my lease before move-in and continue living in my cheap little crap apartment.
Thoughts?? I'd like to continue working at Target for years, however the turnover rate is quite high. I don't feel secure.
To add, I've yet to call out. My productivity is good. Positive attitude. But I do swear like a sailor when I'm joking around sometimes, so there's that.

Be aware, if you aren’t a TL, that hours drop DRAMATICALLY in January, February, and into March. Make sure you have a way to cover your expenses for those months. To be safe, don’t curse. People have been termed fir it.

Be aware, if you aren’t a TL, that hours drop DRAMATICALLY in January, February, and into March. Make sure you have a way to cover your expenses for those months. To be safe, don’t curse. People have been termed fir it.
This may change from DC to DC ive never been forced to vle and always been able to get at least 40 hours per week.

Edit I just realized you said TL and likely are speaking from a retail store perspective.

Turn over rate has always been high at my dc and the turn over rate in outbound is higher than most other departments at my dc. If you show up and work you should be fine on job security.

Last edited:
Literally just show up. I have had to term so many people simply because they don't show up to work. Its the easiest thing to fix and they don't.

The rest is just be safe and do your job. I will take a safe 95 percenter who's at work every day than someone at a 130 who's only at work once or twice a week.

I wouldn't worry about losing hours. In 10 years I've heard rumors of forced flex down but I've never seen it. Can't keep enough staffing for that.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it once you’re out of the vest. Fluke things happen so there’s always risk, but not so much that I’d be concerned.
I’ve had my hours cut before, but that was only for a few weeks at the worst part of the recession (2008?) and even then was still working 32+hrs/wk.
At least at my DC, knowledge (or even the illusion of it) goes a long way toward security. So keep learning new things and getting better at what you do know and you’ll become irreplaceable to an extent.

Act like you want to be there, Don't be annoying (we let go of people who preformed well but didn't respect their TL-that kind of annoying), learn your job, do your job, help guests, get along with others

I wouldn’t worry too much about it once you’re out of the vest. Fluke things happen so there’s always risk, but not so much that I’d be concerned.
I’ve had my hours cut before, but that was only for a few weeks at the worst part of the recession (2008?) and even then was still working 32+hrs/wk.
At least at my DC, knowledge (or even the illusion of it) goes a long way toward security. So keep learning new things and getting better at what you do know and you’ll become irreplaceable to an extent.
That was before my time, but I heard they did 4 9’s instead of 10’s for a couple weeks. They did make a point to tell us last February about the “no work available” call. If no one vle’s then they make people leave but you get 3 hours of pay. It was slow, and they never enacted that, just made us sweep.

I was hired on a few months ago. Enrolled in benefits, vest-free. However I've noticed quite a few people getting fired since my start date, including seasoned vets. I signed a lease and move-in is mid-January. I'm one hell of a worker, but I'm scared I'll be one of the ones weeded out. Perhaps I should get out of my lease before move-in and continue living in my cheap little crap apartment.
Thoughts?? I'd like to continue working at Target for years, however the turnover rate is quite high. I don't feel secure.
To add, I've yet to call out. My productivity is good. Positive attitude. But I do swear like a sailor when I'm joking around sometimes, so there's that.
Target unironically will bend over backwards to keep as many female workers in the building as possible.
We had a girl say she wanted to quit because of how physical the job is so they bumped her to train on the PE a month early. Ahead of people that had been here longer.
As a more specific factor to us OB workers, step stool use is the quick route to can-town.
As long as you are using your stepstool they will never touch you. Right now they may not care because of how busy we are but after Q4 is over they watch for it like hawks.

If you're female they will move you around and work with you to try and keep you. That time of the month excuse gets used quite a bit. If you're used to working jobs making $10 an hour and are excited because you are now working a job making close to double that I would not jump the gun and change my lifestyle as it might be short lived. It takes a toll on you and the ones around you especially when you have mandatory OT for most of the year. A few years before I started working at the DC I am at they were working mandatory OT for over a year. With COVID right now and states going back into lockdown nothing is certain. We have new hires still in their 90days not hitting expectations yet think it's a good idea to take out a car loan for a $30k car. Live below your means not at or above it.

Reliability vs productivity is equivalent to the tortoise vs hare. No matter how fast someone is, if they don't show up, it doesn't mean squat and overall their average prod accounting for all the ZERO days they called out will be equal to that of a reliable team member.

Back