How to acquire my own zebra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You all do realize the Zebra will eventually sign you out and I can pull up the MyDevice equipment report to see who last had the device and how long it's been off the network.

With the new location based pathing for ePick I'm sure they will soon have a way to track down the location of the device within a couple feet.

A TLs is the worst offender in my store as they sign in to a device then give it to someone else without signing out suddenly it's "lost." I'm letting the ETL for Guest Services handle those problem children.

As for the walkie we've had multiple ETLs say they have 5+ walkies in their car because they forget to take them off and don't sign them out.

You all do realize the Zebra will eventually sign you out and I can pull up the MyDevice equipment report to see who last had the device and how long it's been off the network.

With the new location based pathing for ePick I'm sure they will soon have a way to track down the location of the device within a couple feet.

A TLs is the worst offender in my store as they sign in to a device then give it to someone else without signing out suddenly it's "lost." I'm letting the ETL for Guest Services handle those problem children.

As for the walkie we've had multiple ETLs say they have 5+ walkies in their car because they forget to take them off and don't sign them out.
Hate to break it to you, but we tried a locator for deivces and it just didn't work that well. I was told it's being retired (and the app no longer works) and the company would be switching back to asset tagging and signing out.

Sorry bud, this won’t happen. The applications on our Zebras are controlled by VMware Airwatch Agent, and I doubt you’d ever be able to get it installed, even if you were to buy a TC51 (which are incredibly expensive, and they’re meant to be bought in bulk).

But none of that would happen because if your device got lost that exposes a lot of internal data to outside sources, and that’s the last thing HQ would ever want, so don’t count on getting permission to do this.
Actually airwatch is in the App Store and of you log in (and have a target email) with your email it’ll give you access to targets mobile apps. It’s how the etls get email and such

@tmap98 the other day @mobilelady said they are working on Move pathing being based on the device location in the store. I can't imagine they would actively be working on that process if there was no way to know where a device was within a 10-15 foot area in the store.

@tmap98 the other day @mobilelady said they are working on Move pathing being based on the device location in the store. I can't imagine they would actively be working on that process if there was no way to know where a device was within a 10-15 foot area in the store.
Yes they are currently doing that. But the ability for stores to track the device has since been shelved.

Actually airwatch is in the App Store and of you log in (and have a target email) with your email it’ll give you access to targets mobile apps. It’s how the etls get email and such

My company uses different MDM software. One for corp/field employees, one for store devices. An ETL can't login to airwatch and get access to anything other than office-type stuff like Outlook. They can't get the in-store apps.

My company uses different MDM software. One for corp/field employees, one for store devices. An ETL can't login to airwatch and get access to anything other than office-type stuff like Outlook. They can't get the in-store apps.
Except MPM2

If anyone who’s not salaried does this it’s working off the clock and you could be termed
Not true since it only allows you to log into the apps you’re allowed to use. For example I can’t log into email since there’s no need to use my phone for email but I can log into myTech which is a nicer version of the myhelp app on the my devices. If you don’t know what that app is it’s a fantastic app that allows to check the status of equipment mainly registers. It lets me check online/offline status, status of individual register parts like the card reader, keyboard, screen and such and my favorite part is it allows you to see any open ticket number, who called it in, when it was called in, and the estimated time for a technician to arrive. Thanks for your input but I’m well aware of what I’m allowed to use and not use... I’d be a pretty shitty TL if I didn’t

Not true since it only allows you to log into the apps you’re allowed to use. For example I can’t log into email since there’s no need to use my phone for email but I can log into myTech which is a nicer version of the myhelp app on the my devices. If you don’t know what that app is it’s a fantastic app that allows to check the status of equipment mainly registers. It lets me check online/offline status, status of individual register parts like the card reader, keyboard, screen and such and my favorite part is it allows you to see any open ticket number, who called it in, when it was called in, and the estimated time for a technician to arrive. Thanks for your input but I’m well aware of what I’m allowed to use and not use... I’d be a pretty shitty TL if I didn’t
The target handbook says otherwise. I will leave it at that.

Develop the “stink eye”. I would recommend something from the action adventure movie genre. Tilt your head when possible. Growl if you can carry it off. Then secure device on your person.

With the new location based pathing for ePick I'm sure they will soon have a way to track down the location of the device within a couple feet......As for the walkie we've had multiple ETLs say they have 5+ walkies in their car because they forget to take them off and don't sign them out.

Or do what I did and put an RFID tag on every zebra. I just searched for a DPCI that was discontinued and low value and used that. When I notice a zebra has been missing for a few days I'll have whoever signed it out last take the RFID gun and scan the backroom. You lost it, you're going to spend the time finding it. Can't find it? Tough, you're going on a final. We stopped losing so many zebras.

Do ETLs at your store not have their own walkie? Every store I've been at all ETLs and the STL have a walkie with their name on it that they keep.

Or do what I did and put an RFID tag on every zebra. I just searched for a DPCI that was discontinued and low value and used that. When I notice a zebra has been missing for a few days I'll have whoever signed it out last take the RFID gun and scan the backroom. You lost it, you're going to spend the time finding it. Can't find it? Tough, you're going on a final. We stopped losing so many zebras.

Do ETLs at your store not have their own walkie? Every store I've been at all ETLs and the STL have a walkie with their name on it that they keep.

that's not a bad idea... why aren't they ALL just RFID tagged in the first place??

also i think that punishment is totally fair. do you still give them a PDD or CCA even if they find it?

@LearningTree The only issue with using a discontinued one is it will still come up on the RFID reject report scan.

And no only AP and the STL have their own walkies.

Right but I figure whatever issues it causes with the scan is worth it to recover lost zebras. They're very expensive and very difficult to replace so...

Our ETL's have walkies but they also have chargers in their offices. One ETL's walkie always ends up back on our chargers for whatever reason- their name is just on it from a label maker. Otherwise, AP and STL have to have their own with those fancy channel 5 and 6.

Also, it's super embarrassing to tell your AP to go to channel 6 when you mean 4. Oops.

that's not a bad idea... why aren't they ALL just RFID tagged in the first place??

also i think that punishment is totally fair. do you still give them a PDD or CCA even if they find it?

If they find it I'll just do a PDD for poor equipment control. At the end of the day the zebra's been recovered and (hopefully) I've scared them enough that they won't repeat it. I figure if I put them on a final regardless, what incentive do they have of trying to find it?

Right but I figure whatever issues it causes with the scan is worth it to recover lost zebras. They're very expensive and very difficult to replace so...

CSC can ping the missing device and tell you what area of the building to go listen for the ping.

What DPCI did you use? The thought crossed my mind but couldn’t quite figure out how to do it.

Let's stay on topic... the question was if you can have your own personal Zebra scanner.

The answer is no, as Target loads proprietary software and you wouldn't be able to join the in-store wireless for those devices without the proper certificate file.

Feel free to use the Target app on your own phone, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back