Archived How to become a team lead

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyCynide

Cosmetic Brand B*tch
I'm just wondering how long I need to have been working at Target before I can apply for the open Team Lead position in my store. My leadership team seems to like me (save for 2 TLs who openly hate everyone), and I've been moving up in workcenters steadily since I started (HL-Electronics-Cosmetics Brand TM).

It's not a "how long have you been at Target" kind of thing, it's more about where you are in your development. Get a TL mentor who can start developing you...giving you leadership projects, teaching you the "lingo", and basically giving you team lead work to see if you can take it. You should go through a round of mock interviews, get that feedback, and really dial in your situations/behaviors/outcome stories.

But if you haven't talked about any of this before applying for that position, you'll most likely get destroyed during the interview process. TL interviews are more harsh for internals than externals, since it's assumed you've done all this prep work already. And if you end up making a terrible impression to your DTL or other STL, then you probably won't get promoted for at least a year.

it is tooo much interviews and pressure for a $11.00 / hour job. Don't be to smart or your will surely be turned down.
Most TLs only last 1 to 2 years, while TMs seem to last 5 to 20 years. So just stay a TM you will last longer and enjoy your time better at Target.

It was just after my 90 days that leadership started talking to me about TL interviews - so how long all depends on the person. One of the best pieces of advice I can give is learn as many of the work centres as you can. As a TL it will really be helpful if you understand how the other areas of the store run and how they affect the business. Not only does being able to speak to it make you look impressive, but it really helps you as a leader. You better understand how to run your own work centre because you understand how everything fits together, and it also makes you a better shift leader because you can assist other work centres and delegate effectively in collaboration with the other leaders and LOD. For instance, at my store, there was nothing more frustrating than when one of our process TLs didn't know anything about running service desk and a TM needed guest assistance or an override - it was certainly a pain for both the team and the LOD.

it is tooo much interviews and pressure for a $11.00 / hour job. Don't be to smart or your will surely be turned down.
Most TLs only last 1 to 2 years, while TMs seem to last 5 to 20 years. So just stay a TM you will last longer and enjoy your time better at Target.

Eh, it's only 3 interviews. Current STL, other STL or ETL-HR from another store, then DTL.

While the pay isn't *that* great, you at least get guaranteed 40 hours a week. There are very few positions in Target, at the TM level, that can regularly give you that many hours.

Every store I've been in the interview process went....

First interview with ETL who is over the TL position your going for. Second interview with STL. And if you make it past that, third interview with DTL.

Every store I've been in the interview process went....

First interview with ETL who is over the TL position your going for. Second interview with STL. And if you make it past that, third interview with DTL.
Me too, except ap-tl. That was etl-hl, etl-sl, stl, then would have been dtl.

Our leadership structure has been stagnant for five years. Turnover is extremely low. We have several people benched and there is no room for promotion. You'll only get promoted if you have a sob story that plays to the STL's heart. In that case, the "worst" TL will get shipped to another store so they can be replaced. It's cut throat and ridiculous.

The nice thing about being a team member with team lead responsibilities is that you can't get fired if you mess up.

So I was recently promoted to GSA and I am curious what I'd need to do to be considered for a TL position in the future. Like if I'm still with Spot a year from now, ideally I would like to be in leadership. We have two previous GSAs who promoted to TL and my store is fairly good with internal promotions. So, yeah. What are some tips y'all have to put my foot out there and be looked at for development later on?

Just be yourself and work your butt off. Spend time with your leadership team. Get to know them on a personal level of you're comfortable with that. Be great at vibing. Take care of all the issues you can without having to call over the LOD (trust me, they'll notice that they don't have to help you all the time). Be eager to learn new things and do what you can to contribute to the success of the store. IF you feel comfortable enough, ask one if your TLs or ETLs to be a mentor to you. Let them know you want to focus on your development so that you can continue to move up in the company. You have he perfect opportunity to address all this when you get your review here in a month or so.

You would have interviewed with at least one more person (the APBP). Mine was ETL-Log, ETL-HR, STL, APBP, then HRBP (would have been DTL but she was out). Yes, five interviews for a TL job. Target sure loves their conga line of interviews :)

You would have interviewed with at least one more person (the APBP). Mine was ETL-Log, ETL-HR, STL, APBP, then HRBP (would have been DTL but she was out). Yes, five interviews for a TL job. Target sure loves their conga line of interviews :)
Meh. I got paid overtime to stay late to do the three that day. Worked for me. It was way easier than the food ave interviews.

A TL position has been open for a month at my store and I'm only about 120 days in my days at spot. I've thought about asking about the position, rather than just applying since I'm not sure I'm ready to be a TL.

A TL position has been open for a month at my store and I'm only about 120 days in my days at spot. I've thought about asking about the position, rather than just applying since I'm not sure I'm ready to be a TL.
Talk to your ETL about it. And if the position is under another ETL talk to them also.

Somehow I find that hard to believe.
That I got paid overtime to interview or that they were easier?

I found the questions for food ave tl odd. Which made them hard to answer, cause my brain would be thinking what they could possibly be illustrating instead of an example. I had no issues with the aptl ones, even though I had to do more of them.

We've had a tl opening since November. I said if it was still open after AE, I'd try for it, but... I have t done anything. Having every other weekend off sounds nice, healthcare is nice, 40 hours is nice, but the TLs always look so stressed and beat up and that scares me lol. That's a bad reason to not try to get a better-paying job. My coworkers think I'm capable and my sr TL implied that she believes I am once haha. You should talk to your tl about the job, though.

I've only been GSA for a little over a month now, and a GSTL position just opened up at another store near me. I'm extremely tempted to apply for it. Should I bother?

I've only been GSA for a little over a month now, and a GSTL position just opened up at another store near me. I'm extremely tempted to apply for it. Should I bother?
Not yet. you can still apply to get interview practice. If you can get into Starbucks, do it.

Last edited:

Gotta get pass your 90 days in new position first and have the backing of your stl and etl also. So give it 2 months or so and the position still open then go for it. Yes you do have a 90 day evaluation if you move to new position at my store but like commie says A.S.A.N.T.S so i could be wrong in your situation but good luck all the same.

This is interesting, to see the difference in groups/districts/regions. We had to get our direct TL and ETL's approval, but our formal interviews went:
1- ETL-HR
2- STL
3- DTL

This is interesting, to see the difference in groups/districts/regions. We had to get our direct TL and ETL's approval, but our formal interviews went:
1- ETL-HR
2- STL
3- DTL
That was before we only had one etl for salesfloor via ae2014 as well. It would differ now I imagine.

i wouldn't unless you're overqualified. target experience doesn't matter unless you can say hey every shift i've been green on every metric.

Talk to your ETL about it. And if the position is under another ETL talk to them also.

Yeah I spoke to the ETL and my TL about it. I got the leadership expectations sheet, along with the leadership definitions and routines guide. My TL said I could shadow her for a day to see if I really want to be a TL.

As I understand it, it would be for the bench.

I was also offered the opportunity to cross train in Price accuracy/price change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back