Archived How to deal with call outs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Planosss

User friendly.
I am a new TL and I have TMs that call out EVERY week. This one guy has called out twice this week!
How do I approach them about it? What are my options for coaching and CA’s?
Has anyone other leaders come across rampant absences?
How many call outs are excessive? To me even 1 a month is too much, but the store and ETLs dont seem to mind it too much.

I'm not a TL but my workcenter had a huge issue with attendance in the past. My leaders had conversations with everyone who was late or called out and then they documented each time. I think once a month is excessive but twice in a week is ridiculous.

I am a new TL and I have TMs that call out EVERY week. This one guy has called out twice this week!
How do I approach them about it? What are my options for coaching and CA’s?
Has anyone other leaders come across rampant absences?
How many call outs are excessive? To me even 1 a month is too much, but the store and ETLs dont seem to mind it too much.
Have a seek to understand with each of them. Coach if poor attendance continues. After 2 or 3 coachings, CA.

I'm not a TL but my workcenter had a huge issue with attendance in the past. My leaders had conversations with everyone who was late or called out and then they documented each time. I think once a month is excessive but twice in a week is ridiculous.
The thing is these TMs are awesome workers, but the attendance is overshadowing their performance. I will have to seriously talk to them and let them know ill be documenting their further actions.

As a Leader you have to have some level of tolerance toward call-outs. Life happens.... people get sick; their kids get sick, etc; their family dog dies, whatever the case is, you need to be "human" and tolerate a call-out periodically.
However, if there's a "pattern" to the call-outs..... ie: Dick calls out every other Saturday. That's BS. Dick is just enjoying the time off. Dick is a jerk. Dick needs a "talking to"; and possibly a PDD.
But Dick also needs to feel the "pressure" that his call-out is putting on his Teammates. (Most TMs think they are punishing the Company or their immediate boss, not their co-workers.) So, I emphasize to Dick that he put his Teammates in a bind; and they all had to work extra hard to make up for his absence. I encourage Dick to "thank" his Teammates for picking up the workload in his absence. This is certainly not a fool-proof system; but hopefully, Dick gets the picture. Also..... when another Teammate calls-out; it's important that Dick feels the extra workload of someone else's absence. Then, hopefully, again...... the Golden Rule kicks in: Do Unto Others.

As a Leader you have to have some level of tolerance toward call-outs. Life happens.... people get sick; their kids get sick, etc; their family dog dies, whatever the case is, you need to be "human" and tolerate a call-out periodically.
However, if there's a "pattern" to the call-outs..... ie: Dick calls out every other Saturday. That's BS. Dick is just enjoying the time off. Dick is a jerk. Dick needs a "talking to"; and possibly a PDD.
But Dick also needs to feel the "pressure" that his call-out is putting on his Teammates. (Most TMs think they are punishing the Company or their immediate boss, not their co-workers.) So, I emphasize to Dick that he put his Teammates in a bind; and they all had to work extra hard to make up for his absence. I encourage Dick to "thank" his Teammates for picking up the workload in his absence. This is certainly not a fool-proof system; but hopefully, Dick gets the picture. Also..... when another Teammate calls-out; it's important that Dick feels the extra workload of someone else's absence. Then, hopefully, again...... the Golden Rule kicks in: Do Unto Others.
Sometimes I wish i could rewire some of these TMs brains. They are Comatose. The words hard work and pride doesn’t exist in their vocabulary. I lead a work center that is a “ specialty” and training new TMs takes alot of time. It might be time well spent though. Today two of my TMs called out ,Two! I wasn’t able to complete some of my tasks because of it.

Sometimes I wish i could rewire some of these TMs brains. They are Comatose. The words hard work and pride doesn’t exist in their vocabulary. I lead a work center that is a “ specialty” and training new TMs takes alot of time. It might be time well spent though. Today two of my TMs called out ,Two! I wasn’t able to complete some of my tasks because of it.

Rewiring is really what it is about but it takes time.
I managed restaurants and the way you make sure every member of your brigade was going to show up was that they were loyal to you and the team.
They might not give a shit about the company but they didn't want to let you or their team down.
That kind of response takes work and patience to develop.
It should also never be taken for granted.

As a TL you can compliment them when they do something well, bring in cookies or snacks, back them up when the shit hits the fan.
My daughter is the head loan officer for a credit union and has the best attendance record for her crew.
She swears it is because she makes cookies and lemon bars for them.
But seriously, let them know you are there for them.
That generates loyalty.

The thing is these TMs are awesome workers, but the attendance is overshadowing their performance. I will have to seriously talk to them and let them know ill be documenting their further actions.

Can't be a good worker when you don't show up. I'll take a solid team member who shows up every shift then a rockstar who calls out once a week.

Also if you let them get away with poor attendance they will continue to have poor attendance.

Have a PDD after 3 attendance issues (call out or late in/out). be clear that you will be following up with them regarding their attendance in two weeks. Make sure you say failure to improve their attendance will result in further corrective action.

If they have another 3 instances ask them if there's anything you can do to help. If they need time off to ask. Tell them that they work in a specialty center that requires additional training so it has a huge impact on the team and your business when they call out. Reference your last conversation. Tell them the next time you need to speak to them about their attendance may be a corrective action. Ask them if they think it's fair? If not, why not? Of course everyone has a personal life but once it starts negatively impacting your business then be bold and ask them if there's something you can do. Document everything. Tell them their schedule is posted two weeks in advance and of course life happens but if they know they cannot make a shift they should let you know.

Partner with your HR but there might be a third PDD and that'll make it a corrective action. It's so much paper work and might take weeks or months that's why it's important you're on top of it as soon as you see a pattern and they know you won't put up with it. Sorry for thI lengthy post lol

Have a PDD after 3 attendance issues (call out or late in/out). be clear that you will be following up with them regarding their attendance in two weeks. Make sure you say failure to improve their attendance will result in further corrective action.

If they have another 3 instances ask them if there's anything you can do to help. If they need time off to ask. Tell them that they work in a specialty center that requires additional training so it has a huge impact on the team and your business when they call out. Reference your last conversation. Tell them the next time you need to speak to them about their attendance may be a corrective action. Ask them if they think it's fair? If not, why not? Of course everyone has a personal life but once it starts negatively impacting your business then be bold and ask them if there's something you can do. Document everything. Tell them their schedule is posted two weeks in advance and of course life happens but if they know they cannot make a shift they should let you know.

Partner with your HR but there might be a third PDD and that'll make it a corrective action. It's so much paper work and might take weeks or months that's why it's important you're on top of it as soon as you see a pattern and they know you won't put up with it. Sorry for thI lengthy post lol
I didnt mind your lengthy post. You and others have confirmed what a tenured TL told me about dealing with TM issues. It requires patience, leniency and persistence.
I believe in earning respect and loyalty, and that too takes patience, which I have to develop as a leader.

I didnt mind your lengthy post. You and others have confirmed what a tenured TL told me about dealing with TM issues. It requires patience, leniency and persistence.
I believe in earning respect and loyalty, and that too takes patience, which I have to develop as a leader.
Trust me I was a new TL working in FA with a small team. I know what it's like to be a new team leader and working along side the team all day. A lot of times you might feel like another team member and they might see you that way. You just have to be firm about things to show them that you're their leader. Sometimes it felt awkward for me when the team knew more and I wasn't knowledgeable about my authority as a leader but that'll come with time. Something you'll learn though is you really want to document everything because you never know when you'll need it as sometimes performance worsens. Even if you just make a note on your phone.

Trust me I was a new TL working in FA with a small team. I know what it's like to be a new team leader and working along side the team all day. A lot of times you might feel like another team member and they might see you that way. You just have to be firm about things to show them that you're their leader. Sometimes it felt awkward for me when the team knew more and I wasn't knowledgeable about my authority as a leader but that'll come with time. Something you'll learn though is you really want to document everything because you never know when you'll need it as sometimes performance worsens. Even if you just make a note on your phone.
Comfort, hope and a smile is what you just gave me. Thank you.

As other people had posts, look for patterns from the tm's. (Are they calling out only on your shifts, Weekends, etc.) You might have to partner with not only your peers to performance out some team members, but your Etl leadership team as well. The longer a cancer stays, the worse it will spread. Hopefully after you have the seek to understanding, it will not have to get to PDD's and CA's. If it has to get to those stages, always remember it's on them, NOT on you. Good luck ;)

You could say exactly that when talking to your TMs. It's like some people forget that they can change their availability. Maybe bring that up with them, if doing so will help them better manage their work/life balance.

How to deal with call-outs???

chuckpunch1.gif

How to go about getting an attendance report?

Just for shits and giggles, attendance reports should be posted for all TM's to see.

Just for shits and giggles, attendance reports should be posted for all TM's to see.

Man after 2 years mine would almost be perfect, rarely miss days, just things happen but even still when I was just a TPS working the closing shift and then driving 30 mins to my other job at 11pm til 4am never called out the next day I enjoy what I do.

You can set the expectation for attendance. If some etls don’t care, well that’s on them but it’s your work center, your results at the end of the day. Start having these conversations and team members will talk and either improve, quit, or be fired. I don’t believe in the “they are great workers but just don’t show up.” That’s inconsistency in their performance and they need to know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back