Archived how to make the time go by faster

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a cashier and some days just drag on and seem like they will never end, to my fellow cashiers or anyone else how do you make the day more manageable and quicker? I feel like part of the issue is I keep staring at the clock so I usually take some receipt paper and cover the time but that only works for so long . Tips are appreciated :)

I wedge a gift card into the edge of the computer screen to cover up the time. If it's slow, I go do go-backs at The One Spot, zone the front end, collect stray items, empty the hanger bins, clean registers by collecting all the loose bags and making sure they're well stocked. Sometimes I stock the candy. I go to guest service and get the go-backs for the front end. I vacuum the carpet at the entrance. I help guest service sort their go-backs.

Last edited:
What size store are you in? ULV? Pfresh?
Pfresh, I actually stared out on the sales floor but they thought that because I vibe well with guests and got red cards on backup that I would make a better cashier, they didn't really give me a choice was either that or another job, sometime I feel like I would be better off somewhere else , but I need the money.

Yeah, they'll do anything to meet that quota. If you have down time see if they will let you do certain projects or some reshop maybe. Maybe they will let you zone a few aisles close to the front of the store until they need backup. Sometimes doing a little extra work like that will make time go faster. I know some of our cashiers get away with it sometimes.

I am a cashier and some days just drag on and seem like they will never end, to my fellow cashiers or anyone else how do you make the day more manageable and quicker? I feel like part of the issue is I keep staring at the clock so I usually take some receipt paper and cover the time but that only works for so long . Tips are appreciated :)
Hum songs talk to guests vibe face the front dollar spot card wall.

Vibe with guests, vibe with team members you haven't really met yet, ask for feedback from your leaders (gstl) so you'll have a goal you can focus on, and what everyone else said!!

If you don't have any guests, there is always something you can be doing. When in doubt, clean your lane.

I clock watch too, but not because of lack of guests.
I find a 5.5 hr shift with only a 15 min. break to be mentally challenging. My store tends to not give you a break until at least 3, or 3.5 hrs in. With as busy as we are without adequate cashier staffing, I have a hard time staying 'fresh' for each guest. Makes it difficult to whip out the salesman skills to get those RedCards. I know there are other people that need breaks, but even our 1st cashier in for the day has to wait that long for theirbreak.

Any ideas how I can not clock watch and be fresh for all of my guests?

I cover the clock with a piece of receipt paper and just drape it over the monitor, it helps for at least a couple hours, I try not to move the paper until the last half hour or so, it helps but it isn't perfect

Sloooooow what's that. All I hear on the walkie " team I need another hardilnes TM for guest first"
LOD: team who's responding soft lines please send someone.

We are so under staffed and still making sales last night we did 160,000 on a Thursday. Is it Christmas in July ?

Show them where it says break needs to be at middle of four hour period.

Show them where it says break needs to be at middle of four hour period.

Where can I find that, don't have access to workbench?
I don't want to be labeled a 'complainer' either. Just want to survive my remaining time at Spot and be considered rehireable.

And most of my shifts are 5.5 or 5.75 hours because those apparently work best for Spot.

Never heard of them requiring breaks at certain times (exception of lunch, and bureaucratic breaks for O/N).

OT: Pass time? Zone one spot. Problem solved.

I clock watch too, but not because of lack of guests.
I find a 5.5 hr shift with only a 15 min. break to be mentally challenging. My store tends to not give you a break until at least 3, or 3.5 hrs in. With as busy as we are without adequate cashier staffing, I have a hard time staying 'fresh' for each guest. Makes it difficult to whip out the salesman skills to get those RedCards. I know there are other people that need breaks, but even our 1st cashier in for the day has to wait that long for theirbreak.

Any ideas how I can not clock watch and be fresh for all of my guests?
I agree, I prefer 7-8 hour shifts with a 45 minute meal in between. Those seem to pass by more quickly, and you get paid more!

Never heard of them requiring breaks at certain times (exception of lunch, and bureaucratic breaks for O/N).

OT: Pass time? Zone one spot. Problem solved.

My state is very strict about breaks/lunches. Anyone scheduled over 3.5 hrs must take a break, and anyone over 5 a lunch. Last break is anyone scheduled over 6 hrs. The state also 'recommends' that the first break be taken between 2 and 3 hrs into the shift, no later than 3 hrs.

Where can I find that, don't have access to workbench?
I don't want to be labeled a 'complainer' either. Just want to survive my remaining time at Spot and be considered rehireable.

And most of my shifts are 5.5 or 5.75 hours because those apparently work best for Spot.
Do you have that meal/break policy by the schedule? It says on there. The only problem is that they added an "as is practical". I could maybe see that as a problem for cashiers. A lawyer couldn't though.

When you're zoning as hardcore as they want us to at my store, you're too focused to even notice time. I had a 7 hour shift the other day that literally felt like half an hour. I have to set timers on my phone so I don't miss breaks. Maybe I'm just crazy, but I don't think about time unless I have a reason to. And I guess in the strange thing that is my mind, breaks aren't important enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back