Archived HR is starting the "How do you deal with change?" walking chats...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Introduction to AE2015 is already starting. Right now HR is prepping TLs and up for dealing with more cuts and higher expectations with no improvements in processes...while preaching that "change" equals progression

Leadership positions likely to be cut in 2015.....

Most AP positions. ETL-AP likely to be cut in stores where it is not necessary, more so than in 2014. APS position cut entirely

ETL-GE - To be merged into ETL-Salesfloor. TL-Cafe/Starbucks will be merged with a GSTL.

ETL-HR - To be consolidated on a district basis. Most likely to have one ETL-HR per 2 stores.

Pharmacy Leadership Structure - A highsales area where best practices haven't fluctuated in awhile. Expect major changes in order to consolidate leadership and streamline chain of command. Positions will be cut where determined not needed.

Consumables - Changes in the way sales contribute towards consumables have already happened..."Center Grocery" was the first step towards differentiating between "Hardlines" consumables sales and "Softlines" consumables sales. myTime is already starting to separate Infant Consumables from Hardlines Consumables. Expect the line between Softlines Team Lead, Hardlines Team Lead, and Consumables Team Lead to blur even more. With 2015, there will be 1 Hardlines Team Lead, 1 Softlines Team Lead, and 1 Consumables TL.

Honestly, I expect store closure announcements in 2015. 2014 was internal consolidation...2015 will continue that along with physical assets consolidation. 2016 will depend on how Target approaches Target Canada.

Introduction to AE2015 is already starting. Right now HR is prepping TLs and up for dealing with more cuts and higher expectations with no improvements in processes...while preaching that "change" equals progression

Most AP positions. ETL-AP likely to be cut in stores where it is not necessary, more so than in 2014. APS position cut entirely

ETL-GE - To be merged into ETL-Salesfloor. TL-Cafe/Starbucks will be merged with a GSTL.

ETL-HR - To be consolidated on a district basis. Most likely to have one ETL-HR per 2 stores.

Pharmacy Leadership Structure - A highsales area where best practices haven't fluctuated in awhile. Expect major changes in order to consolidate leadership and streamline chain of command. Positions will be cut where determined not needed.

Consumables - Changes in the way sales contribute towards consumables have already happened..."Center Grocery" was the first step towards differentiating between "Hardlines" consumables sales and "Softlines" consumables sales. myTime is already starting to separate Infant Consumables from Hardlines Consumables. Expect the line between Softlines Team Lead, Hardlines Team Lead, and Consumables Team Lead to blur even more. With 2015, there will be 1 Hardlines Team Lead, 1 Softlines Team Lead, and 1 Consumables TL.

Honestly, I expect store closure announcements in 2015. 2014 was internal consolidation...2015 will continue that along with physical assets consolidation. 2016 will depend on how Target approaches Target Canada.

Interesting. I'm assuming you either work in HR or are an ETL or above?

The cut out of the APS is an interesting move. I currently work as a Sr Tps. Is my job in danger for 2015?

The cut back on one HR ETL per two stores sounds like any HR ETL should just say fuuuck this and get out of dodge.

And I thought the Team Leads were already just sales floor team leads with no specific work center in the title.

We just got a new etl-hr two weeks ago. Can't see that happening if they were just gonna cut her down the line...

Most tl-salesfloor have an area assigned to them to be responsible for, even though they are over the whole salesfloor.

I thought aps just got re introduced again in august so that cant be cut again so soon. Its on workbrench when you sign in to the left of the page at the bottom

I would think that most of those changes would depend heavily on store volume. Most stores still have separation of Starbucks and cafe TL. I can see those positions being combined across the board.

I've heard the GE/Salesfloor ETL rumor. But again that one would depend on volume of store.

As for HR ETL most are being combined with AP with a APTL under them from what I've seen. Except for high risk stores.

ETL-HR shouldn't be an in store position unless they are removed from LOD duties. You can't effectively manage and represent TMs as a third-party. A TL-HR and HRTM can handle most of the duties with an ETL-Hr overseeing them from another store. Have 1 ETL for 2-3 stores and only deal with HR tasks

We just got a new etl-hr two weeks ago. Can't see that happening if they were just gonna cut her down the line...

Most tl-salesfloor have an area assigned to them to be responsible for, even though they are over the whole salesfloor.
I have worked for companies where people have been hired and or promoted only to have job cuts the following week and their position and job became history..No job is ever permanent

There are enough openings within the district or group that newly hired ETLs could fill if their positions were eliminated.

The way you describe the changes is exactly the changes my store went through a few months ago (I recently quit in favor of a much better job so I don't know what other changes have been made). Throughout my last seven months with the company a lot jobs were consolidated in my store in an effort to stop the bleeding from the bad PR last November/December, and the money pit Target Canada has become (Last article I read about it in WSJ pretty much summed up that in total, Target is expected to loose about 6 Billion on that investment before the end of the year). Store closures should be expected within the next year, I remember telling people in 2010 that my store would be closed within ten years (2020) I stand by that claim. I would expect there will more major shake ups at the store level coming after Q4 depending on what happens and if the new CEO can pull a turn around. I fully expect Target to declare bankruptcy within 25 years, I say 25 to give myself a large margin of error. These changes though could totally free up some money to be pumped elsewhere within the company if spent wisely, but the reality is management/personnel consolidation is not the only change that should be expected. There are a lot of jobs that could be eliminated to save money and practices that could be eliminated as well.

Do you know if these cuts are for just ULV or specific org charts?? I can't see this being an across the board change for AE 15.. Just as certain stores going to 6am or 730 flow process happened but is not for every store

I doubt we'll see a consolidation of SBUXTL/FATL/GSTL, if only because there would be howls from Sbux corporate about protecting their brand. FATL/GSTL I could see.

Doubt there'll be TSP reductions, since they've made a ton of noise about bringing back AP positions.

There are no HLTL, SLTLs anymore. All TLs that work on the floor are already classified as salesfloor. It's up to the store level to assign them departments, or not. CTL was eliminated in AE14. Any remaining CTLs were grandfathered in, and their position will be replaced with a SalesfloorTL if they leave the company or move. (This one I'm positive about, since I was a victim of AE14 when I was promoted from PA.)

Overall, I smell a lot of bull in this post. Maybe some grains of salt, but a lot of bull.

We still have a SLTL and currently no HLTL, he transferred to SuperT as a ETL and we are a ULV.

I my store I know by the end of January we're consolidating a ton of TL positions. I believe we're losing 3-4 from what I have been told. The HR ETL however is apparently taking over the AP ETL position while we have a separate AP TL and AP. Also I am extremely against ETL HR's moving between two stores on a day to day basis. That will be a self destruction on a whole other level imo.

I my store I know by the end of January we're consolidating a ton of TL positions. I believe we're losing 3-4 from what I have been told. The HR ETL however is apparently taking over the AP ETL position while we have a separate AP TL and AP. Also I am extremely against ETL HR's moving between two stores on a day to day basis. That will be a self destruction on a whole other level imo.

Sounds like your district may be behind the curve. Most groups gutted their TL ranks earlier this year.

My store seems to be bucking the trend though. I know my A, nearly A+, volume pfresh now has:

Backroom TL (senior)
Flow TL
Salesfloor TL x4 (1 senior that plays etl all day long so never gets TL work done)
Sbux TL
Food Ave TL
GSTL x 2 (both internal promotions, new to position, myself being one)
POG TL

We also just added a Salesfloor TL, bringing our count to 5, and benched a promising TM who may take over my old position as Salesfloor TL over market/pfresh.

Having a decentralized ETL-HR is better for us as employees, oddly enough. HR is supposed to be a position that acts as a firewall between management and grunts. They're supposed to act in the best interest of the grunts, when possible. Having HR be present all the time and intimately involved with the ETL team and the STL opens up a lot of conflict of interest, especially if they're chummy with the ETL team.

I'm not surprised if the HR-ETL is cut.

At my previous job, the HR function was just completed by a full time hourly position. They just interviewed, trained, managed paperwork, and completed payroll/scheduling duties. During my time at Target, I didn't see why a store needed both a salaried HR manager AND an HR assistant. I could see it in larger stores, but the store I was in only had 75 people. Seemed redundant. And if anything, the HR clerical person did more then the ETL-HR. With theworkload of scheduling moving to myTime, could be a perfect excuse to try to move area from dual HR positions.

I could see Target going towards a similar model... A single HR TM or Sr. HR if they want/need an extra key carrier.

I know Sears has gone toward model that was mentioned by the OP. Store level HR was eliminated.... Scheduling, payroll, corrective action all went to the store manager. All hiring and new employee orientations is done by a district "HR Consultant." When someone new needs hired, trained, or fired, the SM partners with the Consultant who travels to the store to interview, train, or conduct the termination interview.

Sounds like your district may be behind the curve. Most groups gutted their TL ranks earlier this year.

My store seems to be bucking the trend though. I know my A, nearly A+, volume pfresh now has:

Backroom TL (senior)
Flow TL
Salesfloor TL x4 (1 senior that plays etl all day long so never gets TL work done)
Sbux TL
Food Ave TL
GSTL x 2 (both internal promotions, new to position, myself being one)
POG TL

We also just added a Salesfloor TL, bringing our count to 5, and benched a promising TM who may take over my old position as Salesfloor TL over market/pfresh.

Having a decentralized ETL-HR is better for us as employees, oddly enough. HR is supposed to be a position that acts as a firewall between management and grunts. They're supposed to act in the best interest of the grunts, when possible. Having HR be present all the time and intimately involved with the ETL team and the STL opens up a lot of conflict of interest, especially if they're chummy with the ETL team.
I agree with the HR aspect of this. Although I feel I'm 'friends' with her, I feel if I said something about any of my ETL's she'd immediately relay the message lol... Having a separate HR would be nice.. but again with ULV that wouldn't work well for my store we only have 3 ETL's anyways counting her... So we would need another to either fill AP/maybe something else role or SOME other type... but to save money they could do another Sr... lol (3 of our 5 TL's are Sr's already...)

I saw this "change" training, but it only talks about how we react to change and how to support it... It is part of the "connections" and did not make any references to AE15? I am not sure where your leadership team would have gotten this information? I am honestly fine with cuts if they do happen in some stores. I do not know how many TLs everyone has on the floor now, but I know that our TLs take up almost ALL the hours for their areas, and therefore never have TMs. SP's should be transitioning to presentation and the focus of the salesfloor seems to be going directly towards "great looking store" which means zoning and recovery. There are tons of tests going on trying to reduce (or totally get rid of ) the CAFs so you hardly worry about replenishment. A TL should be able to handle all of "Hardlines" or "Softlines" by next year if these transitions in workload take place.

I saw this "change" training, but it only talks about how we react to change and how to support it... It is part of the "connections" and did not make any references to AE15? I am not sure where your leadership team would have gotten this information? I am honestly fine with cuts if they do happen in some stores. I do not know how many TLs everyone has on the floor now, but I know that our TLs take up almost ALL the hours for their areas, and therefore never have TMs. SP's should be transitioning to presentation and the focus of the salesfloor seems to be going directly towards "great looking store" which means zoning and recovery. There are tons of tests going on trying to reduce (or totally get rid of ) the CAFs so you hardly worry about replenishment. A TL should be able to handle all of "Hardlines" or "Softlines" by next year if these transitions in workload take place.
One TL already does in my store, with still doing the SPLN's... I'm technically keyed as JUST café, but I'm over the electronics team at my store just to spread the workload a bit...

To my knowledge Starbucks TL doesn't count in the TL Headcount because Starbucks requires every store with a Starbucks in it to have a TL for Starbucks and Starbucks only.

HR is not there to help the employees or be any sort of buffer. They are there to help the employer keep things kosher and legal. Most people find out the hard way that in the end, HR is not on their side.

QFT

To my knowledge Starbucks TL doesn't count in the TL Headcount because Starbucks requires every store with a Starbucks in it to have a TL for Starbucks and Starbucks only.

Ours is SB/FA TL...so I'm not sure how accurate this is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back