Archived HRTM potential new hire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
Interviewed for a position as a HRTM this week and was given a conditional offer on the spot. I'm pretty much overqualified for this position with several years of management experience but I recently completed my MSc in HR and I want to enter the industry. I'm going to have to take a big payout but I'm hoping the experience and the opportunity to progress with the organization will make it worth it in the ends.

I would really like your input....am I nuts. How long before you're considered for a raise/promotion/full time hours? I was really happy to be given the opportunity to learn the inner mechanics of HR but I just hope that if I work hard and impress I'll be given a chance to progress.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks

So not so much? Any input from current HR would be much appreciated!

You've come in a basically an entry level position.
What you should be aiming for is an executive TL position but the majority of those are outside hires these days.
As you have just finished your Master's, I'm surprised they didn't offer you an exec position.
As some will vouch for on here, it's difficult to move up the ranks from TM to ETL.
Some TMs who finished their degrees found it easier to leave Target then reapply to the business school.

I would probably turn it down if you have your masters. It is so hard to move up from TM to ETL. I would try applying on the website for an ETL position. Redeye is 100% right. You will have better luck applying outside for a higher position, than sticking it out for a promotion.

@Sickofspot....are you in HR? Do you think the experience might be a plus though? I graduated last year it's a tough market for entry level hr positions....lots of competition and no one willing to train. The ETL-HR really sold the opportunity of growth and progression. Thank you for your input so far!

Plenty of ETL threads on here confirm that many of our current ETL hires are external.
Some are ex-military, some have experience but many are straight out of college with NO experience whatsoever.
Quite a few sign on to get experience (particularly HR) then move onto non-retail jobs.

@Minister , I worked about 15 years of my Target life in HR. Believe me and redeye when we say that it is damn near impossible to promote to ETL internally, especially since you are starting as a TM.
Did you try applying just for a specific location or did you try applying for anywhere in that area?

I've been in HR for a few years. You can learn a lot being an HRTM, but it's more store level operations than larger scope human resources functions. A lot of what we do is managed by the human resources operations center, so our job us mostly clerical work.

Like others have said, HRTM doesn't translate outside Target. Outside employers are more likely to see the position as a glorified receptionist than a human resources professional. You'd need to be a ETL-HR or HRTL (which hardly exists anymore) to have relevant HR experience to parlay into another job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back