Archived I finally quit, but what's next for my store?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayDots

Instocks TM
About a year ago I moved pretty far from the Target store where I've been working. Far enough that it took about an hour to drive there from home and public transportation was not a viable option. As a TM, my pay was hardly worth it, and my shifts were often only four hours long, so I repeatedly tried to transfer to several stores closer to home, but it never actually happened. Well, now I've finally got a job close to home with another company, so I put in my notice at Target and I recently worked my last scheduled shift there. But I'm worried about the way things have been going there, and I'm questioning whether the store can last another couple years. For one thing the store has severe understaffing issues stemming from payroll trouble. This causes conflict among team members competing for hours and requires people to cut corners to get the job done. As a result, the store's team member safety is bad -- ranked at the bottom of the district -- and we have enough trouble coping with surges in guest traffic that sometimes, even with all available backups on the registers, guests give up and leave without purchasing anything. Lately people have been quitting in droves. The entire consumables team quit one week not long ago, and much of the backroom team is gone. In my last weeks at the store, I was the only daytime backroom TM for several hours on a few days, even though my primary work center was instocks and I had no idea how to use the Wave or the pallet stacker. And now that I've left, there's only one instocks team member left, so that person now has to work six days a week for a while, including a day when she is listed as unavailable. (I don't know what they're doing for the seventh day, but my guess is that nobody will do the research then.)
ETLs quit this place pretty frequently too.

I thought that, despite all this trouble, at least a few people still believed in this store, but as I was clocking out for my last shift, the most active member of the HR team, the one person I thought was most invested in the store's success, wished me luck with the new job and told me she hoped it would be "better than this."

I don't know that any of this means the store is about to close, but I have to wonder how corporate is going to deal with the downward spiral in store metrics and stability.

Last edited:
We have a store like that in my district. We all lovingly refer to it as the black hole. People transfer there and never come back. That's where ETLs and STLs go right before they leave the company. It is seriously a death sentence. I don't know how it stays open. It isn't busy except for when it is way too busy. They're in a strange location and always understaffed. The revolving door of ETLs and TMs means that no one has a firm grasp of what is going on or what needs to be done. The store is a very weird shape. I can bet that you've never seen a store with this layout.

I'm glad you finally got out. Sorry that it took so long.

I'm glad you've found a better fit. Good luck I'm sure your former tms will miss you. Corporate will follow its historical pattern. o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back