Archived I have returned!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well well the break room has not changed a bit, love it! For those of you who know me, I once went by the name filmer88 but I forgot my login stuff and what not so changed it to jfilmer88. You may also know me as the person who started the thread Go out with a BANG! Well I went from spot to a call center and now to a new job. About a couple years ago I posted the pros and cons of my new job as opposed to Target. Well let me say this to be clear, CHECK A COMPANY"S ETHICS BEFORE YOU AGREE TO WORK FOR THEM! needless to say there were mass terminations going on for hourly employees for what I would call "lets make up something so general that they won't be able to ask questions". Unfortunately I was in this group, However this job taught me something and that is, if a company tells you what they are going to do for you, make sure to get it in writing! Just a few things to point out:

-Overtime was good for a while, but it got old real fast
-PTO even put in way in advance still had as much chance of being approved as a person who put it in 5 days ago
-Getting free cable was not worth the stress
-I am not a quota meeting kind of person especially when those quota's are unrealistic
-Payroll was constantly incorrect

This being said, I have moved onto another job where I get to actually choose where I work, what days and what hours (no it is not working from home just in case you were wondering), but I will say that I get to work at many different institutions and with those who are smaller than I, want to take a crack at what my job is?

Anyways, I would not consider going back to Target (unless if I had absolutely hit rock bottom), but in conjunction with this job I might work for a smaller store in the evenings.

So how has everyone been, any new jobs, comparisons of new jobs as opposed to target, etc....?

Good to see you again.
Congrats on the new job.
Sorry the last one didn't work out.

Currently unemployed and looking myself.

Hey Commie, have you tried seeing if perhaps your school district is in need of substitutes (aka that is what I do now plus any production work I can pick up)? If you have a Bachelor's Degree in virtually anything and a good work history (can be in retail or whatever) and no criminal history then you can easily apply. Depending on how your county operates you will get paid a daily wage, work practically at a new school everyday and get your weekends to yourself! right now I make roughly about $10.00/hr. doing that (but they just tell you a daily wage (which can be anywhere from $75-$90) depending on your state and the more you work, the more you get paid!

Great suggestions.

The problem is that my wife is on the school board here and there are laws that say I can't work in the district.
I've been trying to get a job in the district she teaches in but her union activity has managed to piss off enough of the administration that it's unlikely.

yikes :/ any temp agencies? I know that seems like a cry for help, but hey sometimes temp jobs lead to permanent positions.

Been looking for full time up till now but with Congress putting its finger up its ass on unemployment, I'm heading for the temp jobs now.

really looking to get out of retail i've been applying at universities for admin positions, but they are slow to go from hr to the correct people, and even by then it may have been filled internally by the time it hits their desks. considering applying for a new store (specialty) store in an asst. mngr position, but staying in retail makes me cringe, though maybe it is just target that should get the cringe.

really looking to get out of retail i've been applying at universities for admin positions, but they are slow to go from hr to the correct people, and even by then it may have been filled internally by the time it hits their desks. considering applying for a new store (specialty) store in an asst. mngr position, but staying in retail makes me cringe, though maybe it is just target that should get the cringe.

Don't give up. Pm me. I maybe able help you, at my 2nd job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back