Archived I want to quit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering the type of employees who are employed with target, it's hilarious that you all take it to heart thinking it's directed to every single employee.11. Not a place for anyone with self-confidenceIt's hard to judge yourselves accurately when there's never been any other experiences to compare it to.You have all ragged on target way harder than I ever could.
You use a lot of words to say absolutely nothing. Literally, you have four individual sentences with no relation to one another, and none are made in response to anything specific. It's like you're pissing in the dark. I would question your level of intellect, but seeing as that would be me feeding a troll, I can only recommend you purchase an English for Dummies book and get on with your life.
what spotbane says is pretty clear. I find It funny too that you all insult him and defend the company so hard when he posts. itsnot even directed personally at anyone since it's a generalization. retail has a pretty bad public opinion of workers there. and I have been with target for 12 years and im pretty stupid and a slow learner and most people I have worked with just about fit spotsbanes description so I agree. I have worked in about 5 different stores for lengthy amounts of time and the majority of employees have various disabilities and are pretty bad at what they do even though its really easy work. when I unloaded a truck and stocked shelves that was the only truly hard work that took ethic and physical ability and little bit of planning and organization. now I just do starbucks, food, and cashiering and we have two people who suffer from cerebral palsy who do all that too. one employee is in their mid twenties and is legitimately retarded who won't ever mentally grow passed a childhood mentality but he his very nice and can still cashier and stock shelves, just very slowly. Its good that target gives these people employment along with myself because I would be awful at anything else like cooking or anything that takes skilled education. we have many people who do not suffer from a disability and they are still bad at their jobs and do things completely wrong even after being there for years. this isn't hard work at all and that's why retail doesn't give anyone a living to do it anymore because there are tax breaks for hiring the disabled to do it all. some of them make a lot of money too since they been there for a long time. most new people quit very soon because the are embarrassed to work in retail along side those that are disabled and can do the job as well. I like retail environment and I am not ashamed to admit I am not a smart person and that's why I am in retail. even though I don't make very many hours thanks to the cuts and everything I still live with my parents but I could probably get a full time job in a restaurant or something but I might be bad at all that and take a long time to learn it. overall I thank target too for takeing people like me in and giving us employment because I would be in the way of others in the world if I went elsewhere. if target got rid of all the special people, then where would they go? retail is the perfect environment for us because its really easy, even children could do the job if they were allowed to work there. sometimes even my store leader can be a real air head over the simplest things and she roams around the store and tries to help but we have to remind her constantly of why certain things cannot be done when she gets weird ideas. this is why a lot of management is mean to their employees because they don't know what to do or they don't want or have the ability to learn, so they get embarrassed and decide to try to dictate instead acting like they know what they are doing but they do not. my favorite saying about target from some of the longer workers are when we make fun of ourselves for being in retail and say "Our only skills are showing up on time." we laugh about it because its basically true, anyone can do this job, as long as they are trained properly and have the energy. we have about 5 mentally disabled people working in our store and sometimes they out perform the "normal" people who come in. but what is normal anyway. I like the job though because I couldn't do anything else and I havn't tried anything else.I just wanted to chime in because I always visit thebreakroom website and my coworkers had a good laugh at the list spotsbane made and was disappointed when you all removed it because we wanted to show it to other teamembers. it was really funny.if you feel like you are being treated like an idiot at work though, just remember anyone can do this job and its not hard it just takes some effort to learn it and once you do its really childs play work that anyone can do. if people are being mean to you when you are new its because they are miserable and mad at their own lives because they are in retail and they have yet to understand how to laugh at ourselves for all being in retail. we occasionally get team members who make a mistake and feel stupid and ashamed but we remind them we all work at target so we are all dummies really. its good fun. one time we had a new team member who would make fun of himself for working at target too and a guest asked him about ounces or liter conversions with the plastic tubs and he said "I don't know, I am a high school drop out" then we laughed at him and he said, "What's your excuse for not knowing?" it was hilarious because we didn't know and we all graduated high school.sorry I wrote a lot, I don't eat lunch because I am fat so I had nothing else to do

I like the job though because I couldn't do anything else and I havn't tried anything else.

How do you know you can't do anything else if you haven't tried?

one time we had a new team member who would make fun of himself for working at target too and a guest asked him about ounces or liter conversions with the plastic tubs and he said "I don't know, I am a high school drop out" then we laughed at him and he said, "What's your excuse for not knowing?" it was hilarious because we didn't know and we all graduated high school.

~33.8 fluid oz per liter. It's actually very easy to learn that when working in grocery (bottled water and sodas).

RedTemplar, you must be spotsbane. You know why I think that? Because it takes a lot of effort to be that self-deprecating. You say that retail is an easy job and that children can do it, and yet you also say that there are many people who are bad at it. So you would admit that there is some degree of difficulty then, if it's possible to be bad at it?

I would be awful at anything else like cooking or anything that takes skilled education.
Somebody was absent on career day.

we all graduated high school
I seriously doubt that.

I don't eat lunch because I am fat so I had nothing else to do
:huh:

I hope things get better for u producer. not sure what theres to accomplish by trying to pick a fight with me. I look on the brighter side and find humor in my life but we never had a career day in my school since I grew up in rural areas where there wasn't much work. and I don't know if everyone at my store did graduate high school or not its just what they say as we talk so maybe u are right. im trying to lose weight which is why i don't eat lunch on the lunch break so i don't know what is confusing about that. it seems u don't understand things very well but that's okay we are here to help u if u want help.all the best!

Considering the type of employees who are employed with target, it's hilarious that you all take it to heart thinking it's directed to every single employee.11. Not a place for anyone with self-confidenceIt's hard to judge yourselves accurately when there's never been any other experiences to compare it to.You have all ragged on target way harder than I ever could.
You use a lot of words to say absolutely nothing. Literally, you have four individual sentences with no relation to one another, and none are made in response to anything specific. It's like you're pissing in the dark. I would question your level of intellect, but seeing as that would be me feeding a troll, I can only recommend you purchase an English for Dummies book and get on with your life.
what spotbane says is pretty clear. I find It funny too that you all insult him and defend the company so hard when he posts. itsnot even directed personally at anyone since it's a generalization. retail has a pretty bad public opinion of workers there. and I have been with target for 12 years and im pretty stupid and a slow learner and most people I have worked with just about fit spotsbanes description so I agree. I have worked in about 5 different stores for lengthy amounts of time and the majority of employees have various disabilities and are pretty bad at what they do even though its really easy work. when I unloaded a truck and stocked shelves that was the only truly hard work that took ethic and physical ability and little bit of planning and organization. now I just do starbucks, food, and cashiering and we have two people who suffer from cerebral palsy who do all that too. one employee is in their mid twenties and is legitimately retarded who won't ever mentally grow passed a childhood mentality but he his very nice and can still cashier and stock shelves, just very slowly. Its good that target gives these people employment along with myself because I would be awful at anything else like cooking or anything that takes skilled education. we have many people who do not suffer from a disability and they are still bad at their jobs and do things completely wrong even after being there for years. this isn't hard work at all and that's why retail doesn't give anyone a living to do it anymore because there are tax breaks for hiring the disabled to do it all. some of them make a lot of money too since they been there for a long time. most new people quit very soon because the are embarrassed to work in retail along side those that are disabled and can do the job as well. I like retail environment and I am not ashamed to admit I am not a smart person and that's why I am in retail. even though I don't make very many hours thanks to the cuts and everything I still live with my parents but I could probably get a full time job in a restaurant or something but I might be bad at all that and take a long time to learn it. overall I thank target too for takeing people like me in and giving us employment because I would be in the way of others in the world if I went elsewhere. if target got rid of all the special people, then where would they go? retail is the perfect environment for us because its really easy, even children could do the job if they were allowed to work there. sometimes even my store leader can be a real air head over the simplest things and she roams around the store and tries to help but we have to remind her constantly of why certain things cannot be done when she gets weird ideas. this is why a lot of management is mean to their employees because they don't know what to do or they don't want or have the ability to learn, so they get embarrassed and decide to try to dictate instead acting like they know what they are doing but they do not. my favorite saying about target from some of the longer workers are when we make fun of ourselves for being in retail and say "Our only skills are showing up on time." we laugh about it because its basically true, anyone can do this job, as long as they are trained properly and have the energy. we have about 5 mentally disabled people working in our store and sometimes they out perform the "normal" people who come in. but what is normal anyway. I like the job though because I couldn't do anything else and I havn't tried anything else.I just wanted to chime in because I always visit thebreakroom website and my coworkers had a good laugh at the list spotsbane made and was disappointed when you all removed it because we wanted to show it to other teamembers. it was really funny.if you feel like you are being treated like an idiot at work though, just remember anyone can do this job and its not hard it just takes some effort to learn it and once you do its really childs play work that anyone can do. if people are being mean to you when you are new its because they are miserable and mad at their own lives because they are in retail and they have yet to understand how to laugh at ourselves for all being in retail. we occasionally get team members who make a mistake and feel stupid and ashamed but we remind them we all work at target so we are all dummies really. its good fun. one time we had a new team member who would make fun of himself for working at target too and a guest asked him about ounces or liter conversions with the plastic tubs and he said "I don't know, I am a high school drop out" then we laughed at him and he said, "What's your excuse for not knowing?" it was hilarious because we didn't know and we all graduated high school.sorry I wrote a lot, I don't eat lunch because I am fat so I had nothing else to do

934020.jpg

you can do it

u guys r really weird when u try to gang up on peoples opinion of things. my colleagues have read ur commontes and suggested there r serious issues with the regulars who frequent this webpage and I can understand that percpective. but replying n making a comment on a very funny thread has been very fun for myself and friends who read the forum durning break and lunch. they have mentioned the proof is in IP addresses that I am not spotban n a moderator can look that up, so I guess that must be embarrassing for all of u. there seem to be some good people and I am glad this has been an enlightenment of ur true natures in work and under anonymity of a web forum. it does not get me down because I do not take some random people on internet as seriously as some of u do and rage against innocents. anyways I don't have a ban date or know what that means because I don't go on internet much but I wanted to comment since I visit a lot anyway during breaks. we had fun at work today talking about this web forum n our leaders told us that thebreakroom is filled with the worst members and ex members who cannot find life after target which made us laugh . even the HR was talking about how old the webforum is n how most people don't give accurate advise n we should always ask in our stores for any help and not trust the internet but it seems to be place for fun. one sweet girl I work with in starbucks says she signed up for this webform too one day n everyone was mean to her here n she decided to stop posting and we concluded why there r so many views but only the same people responding to the threads which is why no one new joins in. it is still fun to read some things here but its not open community like u all make it out to be and I think it would be miserable working with all of ur negativity and insulting demeanors so glad some of u are not in our store. I have a learning disability so I cannot keep up with the fancy terms u use and understand a lot of what u all comment which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. some team members say they are going to join this webforum soon for fun too and they think it will help others join because some of u regulars r very negative and mean to new people just like the topic creator of this thread feels in the store. its very common for team member to get frustrated with new members and training all the time but its no excuse to make people feel bad n hurt on there opinions and comments. some of u say its a place to join and vent but then u get mad and say the venting is bad and insult people but when u regulars do it it is okay for some reason. I like reading the topics though but the new members of webforum r constantly attacked and treated poorly most of the time. I see over 1,000 views but only the same people posting in thread and no one joins because it is a closed community n u just want people to read only ur opinion of target and never others. but we read the forum n understand how u all act with a little bit of ego but its okay. u all can attack me if u want if it helps stop insulting other new people. that colleague I worked with says she was treated poorly on here one day n she was in tears but that was a long time ago and she decided to never try to join in and post anymore and that was heartbreaking that some of u treat people like that. we have had leaders who r rotated through the store that are very mean and condescending towards us in the same manner. I can accept people for who they r and I see the good in some of u that others do not and I hope the coping mechanism of online bullying anonymity could stop one day since this is a very special webforum that a lot of target team member read. if it was more accepting of others it may be more fun for all of us but like most in the thread here are very hostile it seems. I hope u find some happiness even if its trying to bully me which is fine because I don't take anonymity comments personal n don't really understand what u all r saying sometimes. I also hope owl has some good days ahead at work because it can be hard being new and feeling like u don't fit, but remember we were all new and there is some good advice I can share if u want. a lot of those mean n hostile people like the ones insulting each other in this thread and in the store u work in r just unhappy. and those that r hardest to love need it the most.

Sigh..Where art thou enter button? �.�

I know computers very well and in this time it's easy to change one's IP or have it think one is using a different one. There is one invention though and it's been around forever I used it earlier in this post to break it up.

Million dollar question Gl

Last edited:
I've only worked here for about a month and a half and I can already tell I'm not happy/attractive/smart/outgoing enough to work here. The LODs look at me like I'm completely stupid. I hate putting milk out (I'm in market). There are things I like working about target, but for the most part I can't wait until my seasonal time is up. I honestly wish they'd just fire me now...which they might, because I put in a time off request for like five days after the 26th.

I have a ten hour shift today and next week we start staying open until midnight (why?? it's dead after 9:30). I'm tired and discouraged. :(

Sorry for my mini rant... :x it's just upsetting to have everyone treating me like an idiot all day at work. I actually had a really good shift yesterday, though, if anyone cares. It passed really fast and I did probably the best zone the freezers at my store have ever seen (no one bothers to zone the freezers or the candy aisle except me apparently). Everyone was really nice, too, including guests. I'm almost looking forward to my next shift. :3

now, back to original topic. owl, how did your shift go today?

I was actually off Monday and Tuesday, but my shift so far tonight has been okay. I have one of least favorite LODs, though. He's kinda laid back, but he's the one that looks at me like I'm stupid. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive but it's driving me crazy that he freaking stares at me all the time. It's not in like a "you're cute/attractive" way, either. It's more like he's trying to figure something out...idk. I find it intimidating haha

Anyway, thanks for asking :)

Stare back sometime. Keeps 'em guessing.
Hopefully the job will get better over time.

I've started starting back because I don't know what else to do. I'm not confrontational enough to actually say something, so I'll just wait and see if he ever decides to give me a reason for it I guess.

It's actually okay, I was just upset the day I started this thread. The only other thing that really truly bothers me about working here is using the walkies. Im shy and I have this tiny little lisp that I'm sure the walkie just accenuates. Otherwise things are a lot better already :)

Actually, the walkies tend to garble speech....a LOT.
In fact, there was a thread on just that.

In response to RedTemplar,

Some of what you say is true. In fact, I would say it is more true of retail/food service workers than other sectors.

With that said, there are still a good number of retail/food service employees who actually *could* do more... and I think that is where you missed the overall point. The problem with retail workers is that a lot of them get "stuck" for years in retail and never move on. Part of this is because they believe they can't do more, some of them get comfortable, etc.

When I was a TL, I had a few TMs that I would always think to myself "Dude, WTF are you doing here?"... it was clear they would be capable of doing higher skilled work, but for the reasons noted above, never left retail.

I'm super self conscious on the walkie. And it's been accentuated the past couple of days since I've had to repeat call outs over and over and over again because phone calls aren't being picked up the first, second or third time and people aren't/can't respond to calls for guest assistance. It doesn't help that one of the LODs I work with told me that no one likes hearing me on the walkie. But she's the only one that has ever said anything and she is gone from our store, now....so it's better.

That's the other thing...in the past year and a half that I have worked there, every single ETL/STL that was there when I starts is now officially gone from my store, either having been fired or transferred or promoted. Only three of the SrTLs are the same, one starting at my store the same week I did. I honestly wasn't sure if I believed it at first or not, but leadership changes quickly at the stores....so getting too frustrated with someone who likely won't be around isn't worth it.

That's a good point. Everyone at my store seems to have been there so long, it's weird to consider that he might actually just leave.

Side note: do your LOD's ever talk bad about other TMs? There is one girl at my store who makes snippy remarks sometimes about people when they ask questions over the walkie and it makes me wonder if she does the same thing to me when I'm the one needing help...

Another side note: are ETLs the only people who can be an LOD? Or are those different?

Side note: do your LOD's ever talk bad about other TMs?

Obviously I can't speak for all ETLs, but at my store they do. It's not just ETLs who speak poorly about TMs;
TLs and TMs do their fair share. I think people forget that when you work in a store, you're constantly surrounded by people.
It's best to have those kinds of conversations in a more discrete location.

I overheard two of my ETLs talking about a team member, while I was zoning in the aisle over.
One of them turned red and tried changing the subject when they noticed I was there the whole time.

Another time, I was frustrated at a certain workcenter and I told another TM about my frustration.
I went on and on with my ranting, then I realized that the TL for that workcenter was standing next to me... she was shopping and overheard everything.
Moral of the story, don't talk about other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back