I want to sue target

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I am a minor and was fired from target about an hour ago. I began working there in the beginning of April and was hired for electronics. Ever since I've been hired I've been working cashier more than electronics. I was promised 20+ hours a week and have gotten much less. Nevertheless, I was told I was being let go for talking, guest complaints, disrespecting other team members while on the register, talking on the phone and wearing headphones while stocking on the salesfloor. I have never done any of these things with the exception of talking to another team member with no guests around, wearing headphones while stocking, and talking on the phone while off the clock. Really not sure where the guest complaint thing came from. I am always respectful toward guest. The only reason i wore headphones was because alot of other team members do so. I was told I was given numerous warnings but wasn't given one. I all of the reasons for my termination are fabricated and I want to know if I have a basis for a lawsuit.

- My apologies for the poorly written thread. Just really liked working there.

If you can prove the reasons are fabricated without playing "He said she said" then you might have grounds for a lawsuit. But you would waste too much money trying to sue target, a multi-billion dollar corporation, anyways.
Especially if you're a minor, I don't want to be the bad guy but it would just be best if you moved on and found another job.

You were released from spot, because of performance. Having headphones during open hours on sales floor, is a big no-no.
Payroll Hours are hard now for everyone. Spot is based on sales & business needs.
Going by what you posted, you have several weaknesses. Learn from these events. You need refocus on your training again.

What would you sue for? Being treated unfairly and for Target to change its ways with new hires? Or you're looking for some type of money lawsuit?

Either way, it would very likely cost you more time and money than you'd want it to. And being that you were still under your 90 days, they can pretty much let you go for anything they want

Target is an at-will employer. You can quit for any reason or no reason. You can be fired for any reason or no reason, especially in the first 90 days. (Or is it 180 days now? Either way, less than two months is well within the probationary period.)
File a lawsuit if you want to, but be aware that it costs money to hire an attorney. Maybe you could go on Judge Judy's TV show. I'm not a regular viewer but that's an episode I'd watch.

I want to know if I have a basis for a lawsuit.

For your particular situation, not really.

Here are some quotes from other posters in this thread that I feel answer your question:
Going by what you posted, you have several weaknesses. Learn from these events.

Target is an at-will employer.

you were still under your 90 days, they can pretty much let you go for anything they want

you would waste too much money trying to sue target, a multi-billion dollar corporation

it would just be best if you moved on and found another job

You’d have to have a lot of documentation against them to prove yourself otherwise to truly get any money.

I would spend more energy towards a new job as your young enough to start over. Only way I think you get revenge against them is to not shop there anymore.

They'll bury you in court. Not because of right or wrong, but because they have nearly infinite resources. They will close down an entire store to prevent unionization. They'll drown you in paperwork.

Last edited:
I feel for you but a law suit is probably a no go.
They probably have all the paperwork they need to prove what they told you and it will stand up in court.
I was performanced out, had proof it wasn't for performance but because of my disability and my lawyer said it was going to be a hard case to fight.
You don't even have that much.

As others have said, take it as a learning experience and move on.
It sucks and I wish I had better advice to give you.

First you would need to demonstrate that the firing was the result of you being in a protected class. Not that you ARE a member of a protected class, but that you were fired because of it. (And age only applies if you are fired for being too old.)

You also could prove that your employment was not at will employment. There are only a few states that are not at will, or you would have signed a statement saying you were not at will (though as you are a minor and not highly compensated, I highly doubt an employer would give up the right to fire you at will.)

Third, I would point out that as you were fired a hour ago and your first thought is a lawsuit, you probably do have a major attitude problem and could benefit from some self reflection.

Fourth, you were warned about all of those things in your orientation multiple times. Not Target's fault you didn't read the handbook for comprehension.

Hi I am a minor and was fired from target about an hour ago. I began working there in the beginning of April and was hired for electronics. Ever since I've been hired I've been working cashier more than electronics. I was promised 20+ hours a week and have gotten much less. Nevertheless, I was told I was being let go for talking, guest complaints, disrespecting other team members while on the register, talking on the phone and wearing headphones while stocking on the salesfloor. I have never done any of these things with the exception of talking to another team member with no guests around, wearing headphones while stocking, and talking on the phone while off the clock. Really not sure where the guest complaint thing came from. I am always respectful toward guest. The only reason i wore headphones was because alot of other team members do so. I was told I was given numerous warnings but wasn't given one. I all of the reasons for my termination are fabricated and I want to know if I have a basis for a lawsuit.

- My apologies for the poorly written thread. Just really liked working there.
You are a minor so I hope you understand this impression LMFAO

talking on the phone and wearing headphones while stocking on the salesfloor. I have never done any of these things with the exception of talking to another team member with no guests around, wearing headphones while stocking, and talking on the phone while off the clock.

what? Yeah sorry, you have no case. They can fire you for what ever reason they want under 90 days.

OP, it sucks. I get where you're coming from, and it sucks. As much as it sucks and you want to fight it, it's not going to go anywhere. You were within your first 90 days and you made some mistakes. The best thing you can do is learn from your mistakes and improve yourself. You have your whole life ahead of you, and you'll hopefully work at some better places than Target.

You can be let go no questions asked up to 160 days I believe. Pretty sure it’s different based off when you’re hired (seasonal or not) but definitely within that 90 days where they don’t really need a reason. Although it’s pretty shitty if they did fabricate the reasons but that was more to make themselves feel better about the reason. That being said I have a hard time believing you did nothing wrong.... it’s pretty hard to piss off someonethat quickly unless you’re really not good at your job.

Under 90 days? Yeah we don’t need a reason beyond ‘it isn’t working out’. Minor? That means we can use poor schedule availability against you. ‘We need closers’, welp, minors have to be out by 9:45pm. Doesn’t meet the needs of the business. Ever been late or called off? During those first 90 days, if you rub us the wrong way, 7 minutes late can cost your job.

You are over reacting. Take a deep breath, think over your own faults, learn not to do the same mistakes again and move on!

Under 90 days? Yeah we don’t need a reason beyond ‘it isn’t working out’. Minor? That means we can use poor schedule availability against you. ‘We need closers’, welp, minors have to be out by 9:45pm. Doesn’t meet the needs of the business. Ever been late or called off? During those first 90 days, if you rub us the wrong way, 7 minutes late can cost your job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back