Archived If Amazon buys out Target, will you stick around?

Would you stay at Amazon-Target?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If rumors are to be believed, TGT execs are trying to artificially boost share value so they can get more cash in the eventual buyout. Who knows what the future will hold, but with Jeff “Rockefeller” Bezos on track to become the wealthiest person in human history, nothing would surprise me at this point. If the buyout goes though, what’s your plan?

Personally I was planning to dip eventually anyway, but a buyout would make this decision even easier. I assume Lord Bezos will be paying team members with Amazon gift cards instead of cash (perhaps the employee discount is a free Prime subscription) but perhaps I’ll get lucky and he’ll also buy out the real estate company that owns my apartment so I can use these gift cards toward my rent. At least until the Amazon worker bots reach the production stage, that is.

The day it is announced will be the day I put my two-weeks in. I will not be a red Amazon warehouse slave for SFS.

Assuming I'm still around if and when an acquisition happens, I'd give the new evil overlords time to see how the culture changes.

If Target sells out to Amazon then I'm definitely moving on. No way will I work for a company that monitors their employees every move. I heard about the working conditions for Amazon and they make it sound so appealing with all the incentives they offer but working there is like saying you give up your freedom to become a slave for Satan himself. No thank you. Hopefully Target is smart enough not to make this bad business move.

Target, even if part of Amazon, would love to see Walmart in the rearview mirror for good.

I needed a quick home DIY item, ran into Walmart yesterday.
Clean and zoned. How many Targets are zoned today?

Target, even if part of Amazon, would love to see Walmart in the rearview mirror for good.

I needed a quick home DIY item, ran into Walmart yesterday.
Clean and zoned. How many Targets are zoned today?
How many have more product on shelves vs in the back or on a vehicle not worked yet is the real question.

I'd probably consider the day it happens to be a loss. That would make Amazon the top-dog and the Rockefeller mention made me laugh. It'd be similar to Luxicotta, except Amazon wouldn't own literally 90% of all retail. It'd just be Amazon, Whole Foods, and Target, there's probably others I don't know about.

I don't really like Amazon's CEO at all, either. Target has something good going for them and if they sell out to the #1 competitor I'd be a little embarrassed. Oh, and yeah, Amazon wants to put YOU out of work because in the next few years with the acquisition of Whole Foods, they're opening up to 3,000 stores that are CASHIER-LESS and Jeff's had interest in robotic stocking.

What I find so fucking funny about Jeff Bezos is if he wants something, he just outright BUYS the whole company that makes what he wants. He wanted more robots in his warehouse? Bought a whole fricken company called KIVA Robotics and changed it to Amazon Robotics.

Jeff wants to dabble in the grocery industry? Easily shells out $13.7 billion to acquire Whole Foods.

What's that? Jeff likes live streamers? BUYS TWITCH.TV

Hire people to invent for me? What the fuck? -spends $350million buying a microchip company for Amazon electronics-

Fun aside, I'd probably leave if Amazon bought out Target.

As far as I can tell there aren't really rumors of this happening. Back in January one analyst predicted it would happen this year. Now, there are a few stories noting the prediction did not come to pass and the analyst is saying that he still thinks it makes sense for Amazon to purchase Target. But, it really doesn't make sense. Amazon purchased Whole Foods to solve its fresh food distribution problem. What problem does acquiring Target solve for Amazon?

Target would give Amazon a big brick and mortar presence, but it would also give them all of the headaches associated with it. I imagine the cost to fix Target's inefficiencies and to retrofit stores would be gigantic. If they really want the B&M presence it would make more sense to design their own stores from scratch, which they are already doing. Or, they could make a deal that gives them the benefits of B&M without the hassles. Oh, Amazon did that too. They partnered with Kohls earlier this year to pilot a program where Kohls will display Amazon products in stores and accept Amazon returns in store. It seems to be working for both companies as they've already announced an expansion of the pilot.

I can't even see Target partnering with Amazon. I think Target should remain as stand-alone as possible in it's own endeavors

I’d nope out of Target even faster than I’m tempted to already. I’ve heard stories from hell from former TMs that went on to work at Amazon’s warehouses, and can tell you my friends that stuck with Whole Foods after the acquisition by Amazon saw morale and worker treatment tank further than they thought possible. Used to be Whole Foods was actually a solid gig around here before Amazon got involved.

as others said I don't see this happening. Amazon is so successful because it doesn't have the overhead of brick and mortar.
They partnered with Kohls earlier this year to pilot a program where Kohls will display Amazon products in stores and accept Amazon returns in store. It seems to be working for both companies as they've already announced an expansion of the pilot.
Going more into this seems very likely. Kohl's manages stores, but sells amazon items.

If Target sells out to Amazon then I'm definitely moving on. No way will I work for a company that monitors their employees every move. I heard about the working conditions for Amazon and they make it sound so appealing with all the incentives they offer but working there is like saying you give up your freedom to become a slave for Satan himself. No thank you. Hopefully Target is smart enough not to make this bad business move.
It’s the same working for UPS. I needed an in between job until a better one starts in January. Anyways a new facility opened in my area. They made the job sound so appealing and how you can promote fast and you can get a bunch of hours during the holidays but I’d be lucky to get 6 some days.

To show how disorganized they are. The pay rate that was suppose to take effect in August hasn’t been reflected yet though there are promises of back pay. To take it even further I signed up for Driver Helper and got entered in the system but it’s been over two weeks and still haven’t been on a route and I’m not the only one this has happened to. No wonder there is turnover which allows for the fast promotions they promise.

Anyways they don’t allow phones unless your supervisor but even then that rule is not truly enforced as some in my work center have been allowed to get away with it and they don’t have any extra power than I do. Can’t wait to start the new job in January.

It’s the same working for UPS. I needed an in between job until a better one starts in January. Anyways a new facility opened in my area. They made the job sound so appealing and how you can promote fast and you can get a bunch of hours during the holidays but I’d be lucky to get 6 some days.

To show how disorganized they are. The pay rate that was suppose to take effect in August hasn’t been reflected yet though there are promises of back pay. To take it even further I signed up for Driver Helper and got entered in the system but it’s been over two weeks and still haven’t been on a route and I’m not the only one this has happened to. No wonder there is turnover which allows for the fast promotions they promise.

Anyways they don’t allow phones unless your supervisor but even then that rule is not truly enforced as some in my work center have been allowed to get away with it and they don’t have any extra power than I do. Can’t wait to start the new job in January.

It's so stupid to say "FAST PROMOTION OPPORTUNITIES!!!" if there's thirty different people being hired for the same position. Corporations are just weird.

Replace "Whole Foods" with "Target" and it's literally the same story.

Yeah.....

The employee added the short staffing and reduction in labor has fostered an environment at Whole Foods where employees are struggling to complete all their assigned duties, and unable to take the time required for customer service throughout the work day. “Even stopping to help somebody feels like a burden and it shouldn’t be that way.”

It do be like that.

Isn't there a way to organize without forming a union? Why should it work that we pay a middle man to ensure we have basic, decent treatment? How do you go about organizing....but with the intent to update labor laws that benefit everyone?

Oh, and yeah, Amazon wants to put YOU out of work because in the next few years with the acquisition of Whole Foods, they're opening up to 3,000 stores that are CASHIER-LESS and Jeff's had interest in robotic stocking.

yup, exactly like I said. I think Amazon is kind of toxic for our economy. They're not as bad as Luxicotta which I think should just be straight up illegal, but Amazon could get to that point. Amazon may one eventually own so many companies and drive any of the remaining stores they don't own to go bankrupt because no one goes to those stores anymore, and then they would truly own the entire retail and online retail market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back