If you could build a Zebra/MyDevice what hardware features would it have?

If you could build a Zebra what hardware would it have?

My ideal device would have
  • Built in battery so it doesn’t turn off when changing the external battery
  • 5g (obvious reasons)
  • RFID scanner
  • Rotatable or 2nd scanner on the back
  • Customizable button to launch any app
  • Wallow talkie (so the current ones can still be used)
  • Largest screen that’s in the same (or slightly larger) format as the current devices
  • Magnet key for tech

If you could build a Zebra what hardware would it have?

My ideal device would have
  • Built in battery so it doesn’t turn off when changing the external battery
  • 5g (obvious reasons)
  • RFID scanner
  • Rotatable or 2nd scanner on the back
  • Customizable button to launch any app
  • Wallow talkie (so the current ones can still be used)
  • Largest screen that’s in the same (or slightly larger) format as the current devices
  • Magnet key for tech

Why would you want a built-in battery and an external battery? Hot-swappable batteries are meant to ensure rapid resume.
You would need cellular repeaters inside every store.
That's an option on almost all Zebra devices.
3rd party cases have swivel mounts
The TC21 had a yellow PTT button that could be remapped
See previous answer
Larger screen = more expensive to replace when broken, also can't fit in pockets
Magnets near electronics = broken electronics

Built in battery so it doesn’t turn off when changing the external battery
this is on GOD the straight-up worst idea I've ever heard. Zebras have a battery swap feature where it goes into this SUPER low power mode giving you time to hot-swap the battery.
What do you do when the battery degrades? send it to zebra for a year?
What if the port is broken?
this is on god the worst thing I've ever heard lol.

"Yet, according to the Gizmodo story, one of the biggest factors in Target’s adoption of the device may have been its easily removable and replaceable battery pack. Apparently, store associates equipped with previous devices didn’t have time to charge them and couldn’t easily swap out new batteries."

5g (obvious reasons)
What's the reason when we don't even use cellular data?
RFID scanner
good idea but I wonder how the tech would fair compared to the zebra one. they're considerably larger and use a lot more power if I remember correctly.
Rotatable or 2nd scanner on the back
another point of failure. scanner is fine as it is.
Customizable button to launch any app
this exists. target just doesn't bind the button to anything.
Wallow talkie (so the current ones can still be used)
Not the worst idea but I just don't like the idea of explaining something to a guest using my myDevice then hearing "ELECTRONICS COME IN"
Largest screen that’s in the same (or slightly larger) format as the current devices
agreed. larger screens with thinner bezels are a must.
Magnet key for tech
Never going to happen.
As a backup not full time use
Cellular connectivity for thousands of devices as a "backup" is EXTREMELY expensive. That's why target Wifi is meant to be rock solid. Even during an outage, we have wifi for this exact reason.

Not part of the Zebra, but within the pick app: Store INF'd items until the batch is closed so that if item is found after INF'd (because it has been shelved incorrectly or left somewhere random by guest and you see it as you continue batch or on a vehicle that is moved from the backroom before you get back there to look for the item and is stocked after you INF) you can go back or revisit and add it to your cart before stow.

this is on GOD the straight-up worst idea I've ever heard. Zebras have a battery swap feature where it goes into this SUPER low power mode giving you time to hot-swap the battery.
What do you do when the battery degrades? send it to zebra for a year?
What if the port is broken?
this is on god the worst thing I've ever heard lol.
It only turns on when you tell it to turn on or the swappable battery is at 3% or less. It would only be used to find the device if the swappable battery is less than 3%. In that mode the screen doesn’t work and only the buttons would work to silence the “Find My” alert. All unnecessary features would be turned off, like drive up notifications

What's the reason when we don't even use cellular data?
Anyone who gets a white walkie would get cellular data in case of an emergency. Let’s say the Wi-Fi goes out because of weather they can communicate in private without being overheard by any TM
good idea but I wonder how the tech would fair compared to the zebra one. they're considerably larger and use a lot more power if I remember correctly.
It could be a different battery attachment sort of like the MyCheckouts

this exists. target just doesn't bind the button to anything.
Why? It would be useful for switching to certain apps
Not the worst idea but I just don't like the idea of explaining something to a guest using my myDevice then hearing "ELECTRONICS COME IN"
It could be a separate battery attachment sort of like the MyCheckouts. Basically a Zebra battery with a walkie attached to it. So you could theoretically turn it off or use a regular walkie if needed

I just want the functionality of the camera, flashlight, and notepad back. The memory used for the camera and notepad can be wiped upon logout. And remove the phone app from it.

Back