Archived If you have transferred stores, why did you decide to do so?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaristaChick16

After 8 years, I'm officially a guest!
Hey guys. I haven't found a recent thread on this so if there is, please just move or delete this!

I'm curious to know who here has transferred stores and why you chose to do it. Did you move? Was your leadership just crazy and unreasonable?

Aside from the fact I moved quite a distance, my ETL was banging my ex and decided to treat me differently over a few months. It went from being okay to her looking at the floor when she ordered at Starbucks to her completely ignoring me when I walked by and said hi. I needed her help when I was on the sales floor and she couldn't stand to be near me. I'm not one for childish games so I took the opportunity I had to move and went with it. I grew very tired of my 22 year old ETLs acting like they knew everything when they were really running the place to the ground.

What's your experience? And if you haven't transferred, do you want to?

This might get long.

When I started everything was great! I went from softlines to doing adjacencies because my coworkers were very kind and willing to teach me. My Sr.TL saw my potential and moved me up to Brand TM and I was doing shoes, label maintenance, superzoning clearance. I felt great, accomplished, made friends off the bat!

Then all of our TL's moved up or transferred. Our SLTL position was cut and all we had was one SrTL and one ETL-GE running all of salesfloor. Hours went sour. I was the only one left of three-four to do adjacencies. We received the mannequins with no payroll to support them at the time. I never saw my SrTL and our ETL was a happy go lucky passive-aggressive boss. If I couldn't finished something she would ask why? Or try to find someway for me to get it done the last few minutes of my shift. Try to add it to my list of work the next day. She loved to micromanage to the point that I would come in a few minutes before my shift and she was already calling my name. I kept running joke that I don't get paid to hear my name that much. My hours went from 6am-2:30 with 40 hours a week to four hour shifts in the middle of the day barely cutting 25. A girl that had started a year before me was promoted to TL and only worked part time zoning shoes. My review was BS reasoning that I don't engage with guests even though our TL never worked with us in SL

At that time I moved about 40 minutes south and after a year of traffic and short shifts I decided to transfer. It was funny because I lied and told them it was for school and my HR and ETL were looking up schools that would have been DOUBLE the commute time. I was bitter about not being promoted after four years, tired of driving, broke, depressed.

The day I left my SrTL pulled me into his office and found out why I was really leaving. He cried saying he'd wish he'd known I wanted to move up.

Now that I've transferred it's been a little better. Only difficult part is that I don't ever feel like I truly belong in my new store. I offered to do logistics since the payroll has been low and because most of flow was overnight before we went 4 am and/or new it's been easier making friends and finding my place here.

Is pay better at distribution? also is it easier to move up?

Pay is better for regular TM's. But you will be working 10-12 hour days.

I don't know if moving up is any easier, but to be an actual manager of any kind you need a bachelors degree. There isn't a TL equivalent. You could work in HR or AP, but I'm not sure how hard those positions are to get. I'm very new to the DC.

Pay is better for regular TM's. But you will be working 10-12 hour days.

I don't know if moving up is any easier, but to be an actual manager of any kind you need a bachelors degree. There isn't a TL equivalent. You could work in HR or AP, but I'm not sure how hard those positions are to get. I'm very new to the DC.

alright just wondering, I have a Bachelor's, but am just the Signing TM in store.

This might get long.

When I started everything was great! I went from softlines to doing adjacencies because my coworkers were very kind and willing to teach me. My Sr.TL saw my potential and moved me up to Brand TM and I was doing shoes, label maintenance, superzoning clearance. I felt great, accomplished, made friends off the bat!

Then all of our TL's moved up or transferred. Our SLTL position was cut and all we had was one SrTL and one ETL-GE running all of salesfloor. Hours went sour. I was the only one left of three-four to do adjacencies. We received the mannequins with no payroll to support them at the time. I never saw my SrTL and our ETL was a happy go lucky passive-aggressive boss. If I couldn't finished something she would ask why? Or try to find someway for me to get it done the last few minutes of my shift. Try to add it to my list of work the next day. She loved to micromanage to the point that I would come in a few minutes before my shift and she was already calling my name. I kept running joke that I don't get paid to hear my name that much. My hours went from 6am-2:30 with 40 hours a week to four hour shifts in the middle of the day barely cutting 25. A girl that had started a year before me was promoted to TL and only worked part time zoning shoes. My review was BS reasoning that I don't engage with guests even though our TL never worked with us in SL

At that time I moved about 40 minutes south and after a year of traffic and short shifts I decided to transfer. It was funny because I lied and told them it was for school and my HR and ETL were looking up schools that would have been DOUBLE the commute time. I was bitter about not being promoted after four years, tired of driving, broke, depressed.

The day I left my SrTL pulled me into his office and found out why I was really leaving. He cried saying he'd wish he'd known I wanted to move up.

Now that I've transferred it's been a little better. Only difficult part is that I don't ever feel like I truly belong in my new store. I offered to do logistics since the payroll has been low and because most of flow was overnight before we went 4 am and/or new it's been easier making friends and finding my place here.
If that's you in your profile picture is recommended removing it ASAP. This site isn't liked by corporate so we try to stay anonymous as possible here

alright just wondering, I have a Bachelor's, but am just the Signing TM in store.

I have a bachelors as well and working towards being a manager was discussed immediately after my interview, but they wanted to see how I did on the floor. I may be able to comment further at another time.

I transferred a couple states away because we moved for my spouse's job. The process itself was really easy for me.

It was definitely an adjustment for me. I'm not very outgoing and most people annoy the shit out of me so feeling comfortable and getting to know people has taken me a while. The frustrating part is there is so much different between my two stores even though they're both high volume supers, how they do things, what they call things, the leadership is so different too. My old stl and etls were present on the floor, on the lanes, with team members, they'd work pulls. Where I'm at now I've seen my stl on the floor, just walking and talking, less than 10 times in the year I've been there and all but 1 or 2 etls are clueless. The team leads aren't much better.

i tried to transfer, but sadly the position was for 3am and i wasnt having that. no more of that!

however when my ETL found out that i was trying to escape, boy was he butthurt! lol its funny how nice he is to me now though. of coarse he is also avoiding me like i have the black death .... not that it matters as i can do my job without him more often than not.

My first transfer was due to hours. I went from an ULV store working 10 hours/week to the busiest and worst store in the area and always got 40 forced on me (even during school when I was wanting 25-30ish).

All other transfers have been because I was "offered" positions at other stores... which you have to take!

I transferred too after a certain amount of bullying... And I have to admit it happened a little bit again. I must appear weak or maybe I give off the wrong VIBE! It has seemed some sort of initiation. Unbelievable.

My first transfer was due to hours. I went from an ULV store working 10 hours/week to the busiest and worst store in the area and always got 40 forced on me (even during school when I was wanting 25-30ish).

All other transfers have been because I was "offered" positions at other stores... which you have to take!

Curious, how were you offered by other stores? I have a friend who's currently a Sr.TL and wanting to promote as ETL-LOG/Replenishment because of the degree thing. Unfortunately, the current O/N ETLs at the store have no plans of switching roles as of now (been at the same role for 3-4 years). There are other stores that has openings for the position he wants. How would he go about that?

Curious, how were you offered by other stores? I have a friend who's currently a Sr.TL and wanting to promote as ETL-LOG/Replenishment because of the degree thing. Unfortunately, the current O/N ETLs at the store have no plans of switching roles as of now (been at the same role for 3-4 years). There are other stores that has openings for the position he wants. How would he go about that?

you look on ehr for job postings or even indeed or other job posting sights.

I transferred when I was promoted from TPS to APS at another store in the district. My first store I started off as seasonal and worked my way up to SR TPS. Now I'm a SR APS and travel to different stores when needed.

I passed on APTL because the paygrade is the same as SR APS. My STL is now pushing for me to interview for SR TL. Unless they offer a lot more money I think I'll pass on that also.

Last edited:
I transferred out of necessity thanks to moving, but in the year I've been at my new store, everything has been fairly positive. I'm not as close with some work centers like I was at my old store but everything else has been good. Before hand, I'd get maybe 20 hours on average and 30 once in a blue moon between multiple work centers. Now I get between 30-40 on average and was placed on POG (which I didn't ask for, but have been liking it). Between the hour increase and getting away from a poisonous ETL at my old store, it's been positive. Only negative that has occurred is from my drive to and from work as I hate driving behind tractor trailers and that happens much more now.

I'm thinking of transferring to a closer store. I'm getting scheduled 25hrs per week (so far I'm getting lucky turning it into 32hrs). It's just a matter of time til I use up all my vacation hours to cover my hours. My current store is 12 miles away while the closest store is 6 miles. Also the ETL HR on the closest store knows me

We had a cashier try to do a shady transfer and do it without telling anyone, she had spotty attendance and didn't get any Redcards and her speed was horrible....we let it slide but then she NCNS on the last day she was supposed to work so we called the other store and denied her transfer....if you do think of transferring give at least a month or two of your best work so you won't have anything against you for your leadership to deny it

I'm thinking of transferring to a closer store. I'm getting scheduled 25hrs per week (so far I'm getting lucky turning it into 32hrs). It's just a matter of time til I use up all my vacation hours to cover my hours. My current store is 12 miles away while the closest store is 6 miles. Also the ETL HR on the closest store knows me
Ask them

I'm thinking of transferring to another store because my etlhr has started scheduling me for 4 hour shifts doing instock and I'm only getting 20 hours a week and I didn't ask to do instock; my availability is open and yesterday was the first time I've ever called off, I can't Pay my bills on 20 hours a week and I hate instocks and I started as a cashier so I'm really not understanding why she's scheduling me for instocks. I have oodles of cross training but she keeps scheduling me for instocks and I don't know how to get her to stop scheduling me for these short shifts....any and all advice is welcomed.

I'm thinking of transferring to another store because my etlhr has started scheduling me for 4 hour shifts doing instock and I'm only getting 20 hours a week and I didn't ask to do instock; my availability is open and yesterday was the first time I've ever called off, I can't Pay my bills on 20 hours a week and I hate instocks and I started as a cashier so I'm really not understanding why she's scheduling me for instocks. I have oodles of cross training but she keeps scheduling me for instocks and I don't know how to get her to stop scheduling me for these short shifts....any and all advice is welcomed.

I see where you're coming from, but 20 hours comes closer to paying the bills than 0 hours.

Transfer if you want, but in the meantime ask to be trained in other workcenters. Try and get logistics hours because they are usually more plentiful in the long run. Though if you hate instocks, then...

You may want to consider getting another job or a second job as well.

Have you talked to her and asked why she isnt scheduling you elsewhere?

HRZone no, I didn't ask her why she wasn't scheduling me elsewhere, I will next time I see her and smashandthrash, I have started putting in applications elsewhere, I'm interested in an GSA position at another store but I have to get TL & ETL-HR approval to apply and I don't think she's going to give it to me, I've applied for positions in my store and received no interview nor any acknowledgment of my application, when I asked for a status on my application she said that she would have the ETL for Hardlines talk to me, that was two weeks ago...I'm not sure but I'm starting to suspect that I'm experiencing some age or racial discrimination because nothing else explains why I'm applying for positions but that they're being ignored; in the 13 months I've worked for target I've only called off from work once, this past week, never been coached, no CCAs or complaints but for some reason unbeknownst to me I'm getting the run around and lousy hours....

I feel you on that but it is a part time job they can schedule you 20 to 35 hours. Plus keep in mind you can also pick up shifts with LOD approval...that you should be able to do especially since you are crosstrained in everything. In state of california if you are low income you can apply for cash aid and if are working you can join welfare to work and then they will help you with food stamps so you can save money and they also help you with school or training to get a better paying job....maybe inquire programs like this for your state...many people in my store doing the same. They also pay for child care as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back