I'm a New Seasonal Hire - Need Help

So I am a new seasonal hire for the holidays coming up.

My first week on the clock, I was given three 8-hour shifts. The next week I have ZERO shifts. The week after the week with ZERO shifts, I have 2 5 hour shifts.

Does target routinely hire people and then not give them any hours for an entire week?

What gives?

This happens at my store from time to time. Talk with HR and see if there is something glitching. We have had team members with the same problem and when they go to HR they find out there is an issue with the availability so make sure your availability is correct and didnt somehow get changed in the system.

ETL told me to call the store and see about picking up some shifts, but every time I call..I get hung up on.

Very annoying.

Yes, at my store they hired and gave people training hours for the week of/ week after orientation, and then gave no hours. Sometimes it was because they had no hours to give, sometimes it was a mistake, sometimes no one told the person making the schedule that there were new hires to be scheduled. ASANTS, but Spot apparently likes to hire early to get seasonals locked in and trained, (if you can call telling someone the bare basics of using a zebra and sending them off to sink or swim “trained”), and then string them along with very few hours until business picks up and they actually need to schedule them. Then there’s hours everywhere until the holidays are over, Heaven help you if you request a day off during the period from Thanksgiving week until December 27th, after which many seasonals are let go, and everyone else gets starvation hours from late December until business picks up again, which if you are lucky is Easter week, but hours don’t really pick up again until late July/ August for back to school. At least that’s how it usually goes at my store...🙄

I started at Target last year just for seasonal. When I first started I barely got any hours but then it picked up. Now I get about 30 a week.

We had a solid seasonal hire we kept on after BTS. Essentially they were training to be a new DBO, which we desperately need. After our hours were cut back a bit in Sept, they were left off the schedule. HR told them it was a mistake and gave them a few shifts that week. Next schedule, they were left off again.

They quit shortly thereafter

The super nuts thing is WE ARE STILL HIRING LIKE CRAZY. WHY HIRE PEOPLE ONLY TO NOT GIVE THEM HOURS? WHY LEAVE GOOD EMPLOYEES OUT TO DRY?

We had a solid seasonal hire we kept on after BTS. Essentially they were training to be a new DBO, which we desperately need. After our hours were cut back a bit in Sept, they were left off the schedule. HR told them it was a mistake and gave them a few shifts that week. Next schedule, they were left off again.

They quit shortly thereafter

The super nuts thing is WE ARE STILL HIRING LIKE CRAZY. WHY HIRE PEOPLE ONLY TO NOT GIVE THEM HOURS? WHY LEAVE GOOD EMPLOYEES OUT TO DRY?

Survival of the fittest or some bullshit. Winner gets more hours...up to 25 whole hours a week! That's SUUUUUUUUUPER generous! /s

I realize it’s all about target, targets all that matters. But it drives me nuts that we hire people, promise them the world, they quit their full time jobs expecting to get 40 hours at target, and don’t. It’s SO RUDE to upheave people’s lives making false promises. They have bills to pay just like we do. Tell them the truth. Don’t hire people that want 40. Look for the type of person that wants 20-30. Recruit on campuses.
I could never do hr cause it’s so fake during 4th quarter.

I have never had zero hours. When I was seasonal, I was actually getting scheduled for more hours than some of the regular TMs. Now that I am a regular TM, I've only got 20 hours on the new schedule and I am kind of pissed about it. I'd suggest talking to your team lead. Also check the swap board. Calling won't do any good unless you want to pick up a shift for that day. When you call, press 9 to get a leader.

the same reason we only schedule our regular "full time" employees shit hour but if you latch yourself to a lead human centipede style you get all the hours. this company has fallen and we are the dead and decaying corpse left to rot in the sun

I got 2 days when seasonal, I asked the Etl if I was sound something wrong. He said no. After that I got cross trained and 40 hours until they kept me on.

I'm new at Target, cashier, probably seasonal, but asked for 40 hrs. So far, I've gotten 33, 29, 29 and NOW just 12; what's that about, does anyone know?

original.gif

Welcome-Aboard-Devid-Tennant-On-Doctor-Who.gif

I realize it’s all about target, targets all that matters. But it drives me nuts that we hire people, promise them the world, they quit their full time jobs expecting to get 40 hours at target, and don’t. It’s SO RUDE to upheave people’s lives making false promises. They have bills to pay just like we do. Tell them the truth. Don’t hire people that want 40. Look for the type of person that wants 20-30. Recruit on campuses.
I could never do hr cause it’s so fake during 4th quarter.
I know! They should be upfront about hours; one of my coworkers was working part time at spot and had a full time job elsewhere, she asked if she would get 40 hours if she opened up her availability and they told her yes because we were going through a remodel, but two weeks into it and she was already getting the shaft.

They know that if they’re honest about hours no one would want to work there.

I have never had zero hours. When I was seasonal, I was actually getting scheduled for more hours than some of the regular TMs. Now that I am a regular TM, I've only got 20 hours on the new schedule and I am kind of pissed about it. I'd suggest talking to your team lead. Also check the swap board. Calling won't do any good unless you want to pick up a shift for that day. When you call, press 9 to get a leader.
From what I remember from my store is newer team members would always start out with a lot of hours to give them a better chance at staying.

Back