Archived I'm an electronics team member, but I'm scheduled as a cart attendant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOD, the cart attendant called out because it might rain today and we're out of carts but I don't feeeeel like going out there to grab some myself, sooo...

I always try to think of the positives when faced with situations I feel are going to be unpleasant, and I can definitely understand where you’re coming from regarding the heat and performing a task that’s a bit more physically demanding. Having said that, it’s never bothered me a bit to go grab some carts in a pinch if we would have a gap in coverage, or any other reason at all really. So if I were you, I’d be excited that I was going to be able to wear shorts to work that day! In all honesty, it’s up to you how you handle this. I’m scheduled different workcenters semi-regularly even though my job title is GSA. I’m actually looking forward to the next couple months, because I did quite a bit of SFS last year and really liked it. I think you should rock a pair of shorts, and go get carts that day. I’m not familiar with the luck of the draw CA thing, since we have 3 TM’s that only do carts, but I wouldn’t worry about them making it a regular thing considering how many TM’s a Target store has, and the fact that you are primarily an electronics TM, which isn’t something that any ole person can do. But as others have mentioned, it might raise a flag in someone’s head to see to it that you do work a CA shift. Hopefully they aren’t that spiteful, I don’t think ours are, but you never know. I mean, I’ve seen cashiers throw hissy fits over having to work a lane when they had been scheduled for SCO, which isn’t quite the same kinda situation you’re in, but it all falls back to the same principle of helping out the team when needed. Just my opinion, if you feel that strongly about not going through with it, then do what you feel is appropriate.

1. Electronic payroll may be down. And you store is getting you hours in another workcenter.
2. They need someone to take over cart shifts for a bit.
3. Mistake on the schedule
4. Re-evaluation of store's business needs.

Target's thinking: You are a TM, you work at the needs of the business and you are not guaranteed hours or workcenter.

Technically, in order to do carts you have to be given the training and signoff, cart machine (if your store has one), max number of carts.

I would ask questions but don't be aggressive about it.

The whole issue is that it ISN'T my responsibility lol. Luckily for me, I don't really care if you think it's embarrassing, but you care enough to keep commenting on this thread and yet somehow keep missing the point. That is embarrassing.
If I was your GSTL I’d give you a reason to call the hotline.. you sound like an absolute TWAT.

Talk to your store mgt about the concern. Disagreeing with us does not solve the schedule issue.
4th qtr, you become global. Anywhere & everywhere. Business needs is where you go.

I'll re-quote this, to also mention, (from the outside looking in). 4th Quarter this year, will probably also come with the most overtime allowed, in probably at least a decade. The more you know, the more possible overtime you can get. Which means you will more than likely get to earn more money per hour, than your ETL.

In OP's defense, there are some team members who don't have to work carts at my store because they say they don't want to, or in one team member's case, he said he tried once 10+ years ago, but he didn't like it and he hasn't been scheduled as cart attendant since.
I get that life isn't fair and sometimes you have to deal with inconveniences, but it doesn't seem just that some team members avoid working carts but others are expected to without complaint.

The 2019 tm is different from a 2018 tm. SPECIALTY teams have gone away. Modernization is an operating model that requires each individual to perform multiple different tasks. Gone are the assembly line tasks of doing the same thing all day. We are ALL expected to meet the needs of the business as the leaders see fit. It is unfortunate that there are tm's excused from certain tasks because everyone should now be available to do everything.
Could it be that the excused tm are skilled in other areas and more valuable spending their time doing something else ? Can you do what they do so they can get carts ? If you are not fully crossed trained maybe you are the tm most available for carts because others are covering the things you can’t do ?

That is not a question that they asked me and I doubt it's a question that they ask at all during an interview.
Almost certainly, it's on the employment application. It's standard. (Typed that before reading they'd deleted their account. Silly from the get-go.)

The question has ALWAYS been there: ‘Are you willing to work/train in other areas of the store ‘
Unless your interviewer skipped it, but they would have needed to answered it for you because our HR makes sure there is an answer to everything so nothing is skipped.
I’ve done hundreds of interviews and never skipped it. In fact, i’ve elaborated and made certain the applicant knew what I was asking.

The question has ALWAYS been there: ‘Are you willing to work/train in other areas of the store ‘
Unless your interviewer skipped it, but they would have needed to answered it for you because our HR makes sure there is an answer to everything so nothing is skipped.
I’ve done hundreds of interviews and never skipped it. In fact, i’ve elaborated and made certain the applicant knew what I was asking.
"Willing to work/train in other areas" never came up in mine, and that was 5 years ago. Although my case isn't saying much.

If it were me I would wrap myself in saran wrap and hope to lose at least 5 pounds. I also live in the heat.

Not anymore though, right? Modernization outright bans TMs from working in a workcenter that isn't their own, or so we've been told.

The new interview packets still include it. Even with modernization being what it is right now, I'm sure they still want to include that caveat. Who knows what the future holds for operations at Target?

The 2019 tm is different from a 2018 tm. SPECIALTY teams have gone away. Modernization is an operating model that requires each individual to perform multiple different tasks. Gone are the assembly line tasks of doing the same thing all day. We are ALL expected to meet the needs of the business as the leaders see fit. It is unfortunate that there are tm's excused from certain tasks because everyone should now be available to do everything.
Could it be that the excused tm are skilled in other areas and more valuable spending their time doing something else ? Can you do what they do so they can get carts ? If you are not fully crossed trained maybe you are the tm most available for carts because others are covering the things you can’t do ?
I agree that theoretically, all team members should be able to work in multiple areas, for example front end team members should be able to work as a checkout advocate, self-checkout, and guest services. It seems like some of the checkout advocates only cashier and don't have to learn guest services, maybe they strongly prefer cashiering. At my store at least, most of the cashiers have limited availability and view Target as a part-time job and don't desire to be cross-trained or work close to 40 hours, but we're bleeding team members right now, so we can't force them to be cross-trained. This is why the few team members who are available to work at night are asked to work carts in my view.

The new interview packets still include it. Even with modernization being what it is right now, I'm sure they still want to include that caveat. Who knows what the future holds for operations at Target?
Interview guides are all on Workday now. Hopefully the future for Target is better than the Phase 2 rollout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back