Im locked in my store help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is the cleaning crew there with no supervision? That’s highly unlikely that an lod or maybe a overnight team is not in the building.
This. I've heard various TLs/SrTLs/ETLs talking about who had to be there overnight or super early for special tasks the cleaning crew was working on. Maybe this is something that varies by state?

If you go out the fire exit and its not and emergency you can be fired at least in my state. I wonder if this is one of those asants/different state rules

Last edited:
Nope they are locked in by themselves. Been through this where the morning LOD didn't show, Flow team locked out, cleaning crew locked in.
Um, the cleaning crew can open the doors if they need to in the event of an emergency.

If I ever got locked in I'd go out a fire exit......technically, it is an emergency. I mean, being locked in you are being kept there against your will.
Besides, I'd love hear all about how things ended up working out.

That’s wrong. The cleaning crews are one of the few vendors signed off to be in the stores alone. We lock ours in often when they do the yearly floor waxing and overnights to catch up in some work.

Can confirm, it's specifically been said somewhere in the Q4 guide for this year that they can be locked in alone.

If I ever got locked in I'd go out a fire exit......technically, it is an emergency. I mean, being locked in you are being kept there against your will.
Besides, I'd love hear all about how things ended up working out.

I mean, same, but that's not how "being held against your will" works. That implies that someone is actively preventing you from leaving, which is not the case here.

I mean, same, but that's not how "being held against your will" works. That implies that someone is actively preventing you from leaving, which is not the case here.

Seriously? Company policy says that if you go out an emergency exit and it's not an emergency you can be fired, but if you are locked in and cannot go out the emergency exit for fear of losing your job you aren't being held there unwillingly because the person who wrote policy is not physically there? So you can't leave but it's not considered to be that you can't leave?

Seriously? Company policy says that if you go out an emergency exit and it's not an emergency you can be fired, but if you are locked in and cannot go out the emergency exit for fear of losing your job you aren't being held there unwillingly because the person who wrote policy is not physically there? So you can't leave but it's not considered to be that you can't leave?

Who wrote this policy, George Orwell?😂

No not company policy.
What if you had a babysitter home w kids? What if you needed medicine left at home because your shift wasn’t long enough to need it at work?
You go out the fire exit. Go to your car and either drive away or wait for the police to explain yourself. They don’t come blaring with sirens on. Most of the time it’s a false alarm so they drive up quietly to investigate. And they wait for an etl to get there.
I’ve responded to numerous “alarm calls” where the police were waiting for me in their car. We go in and I deactivate the alarm and see which door is causing the problem. Then we go check that door. More time than not it wasn’t shut all the way or the cash office door wasn’t armed. Or receiving wasn’t armed.

If I found a fire exit open I shut and lock it. Go back home and have ap check the cameras tomorrow.

Quit thinking this is like a cop drama show.

Last edited:
No not company policy.
What if you had a babysitter home w kids? What if you needed medicine left at home because your shift wasn’t long enough to need it at work?
You go out the fire exit. Go to your car and either drive away or wait for the police to explain yourself. They don’t come blaring with sirens on. Most of the time it’s a false alarm so they drive up quietly to investigate. And they wait for an etl to get there.
I’ve responded to numerous “alarm calls” where the police were waiting for me in their car. We go in and I deactivate the alarm and see which door is causing the problem. Then we go check that door. More time than not it wasn’t shut all the way or the cash office door wasn’t armed. Or receiving wasn’t armed.

If I found a fire exit open I shut and lock it. Go back home and have ap check the cameras tomorrow.

Quit thinking this is like a cop drama show.
There is a huge difference between opening the fire door when a regular door is unlocked and opening the fire door when all regular doors are locked. Neither are an emergency, but someone locked in has no other way out. So yeah, saying that opening the fire door when it's not an emergency is a termination offense but that is the only way to leave....sorry, you are being held against your will when the threat is losing the employment that's paying your rent and food if you leave by the only means possible.

There is a huge difference between opening the fire door when a regular door is unlocked and opening the fire door when all regular doors are locked. Neither are an emergency, but someone locked in has no other way out. So yeah, saying that opening the fire door when it's not an emergency is a termination offense but that is the only way to leave....sorry, you are being held against your will when the threat is losing the employment that's paying your rent and food if you leave by the only means possible.
I agree with you. There is NO policy stating you will be fired for opening a fire door.
It’s absurd.

If you go out the fire exit and its not and emergency you can be fired at least in my state. I wonder if this is one of those asants/different state rules
That statement sounded to me like it was policy with law supporting it. Glad to hear it's not policy.

Technically I got locked in once though they got me out fast enough that I didn't realize it. I did think it odd that when I got in TSC after going to the bathroom the LOD was coming in from outside. Found out much later that I got locked in but the LOD saw me through the doors while I was walking towards TSC.

If you’re locked in the building only go out an exit that will lock behind you if you plan to just abandon the scene.

Best scenario: exit and let it secure behind you. Wait for the police or an ETL to explain the situation.

Not great scenario: go out a door that secures behind you but have a good reason why you just had to run out.

Worst case: bail out a fire exit that does not secure and leave the store behind.

Use the thing between your ears before making a choice because some situations will leave you unpunished and others will get you fired, even if you were in the right initially.

When we close there aren't any other stores open in our strip mall. It makes it easy........three people walk out.....four cars in the TM parking area.....no one leaves until the fourth car is identified.

Helps to explain why no one has gotten locked in in 12 years.

Shoot at my store its every rat for themself fleeing the ship. Wr had an older tm whose csr was frzen shut one winter and everyone including the ap etl who closed bailed. I didnt even know about it til she came in the next day
. Poor gal was terrified our area is definitely not safe at night (like any area actually is safe ever). I mean she didnt try tp flag anyone for help but still.

During my front end years the guys would always offer to walk the young girls out but I never even got an offer & I parked further out than most.

When I was closing GSA, myself, the LOD, and the closing TM's always left together, we never locked anyone in, but we did spend close to ten minutes scouring the store one day looking for a TM in the store to make sure we didn't leave someone behind once.

The closing TM left, he didn't realize the LOD wanted him to wait for us to finish in the cash office. We came out and didn't see him and realized there were still three cars in the lot so we decided to scour the store to make sure he'd left. He had. The car was apparently a guests as it was still there the next morning, likely someone who had car problems and got home via alternate means.

Most closing TMs at my store are out by the time we close. We rarely have regular tms in the store after we close. Lod usually walks someone to see if the stores officially clear and they leave. No chance for anyone to get stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back