Archived "I'm sorry, I'm off the clock"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sucks when someone asks you to find something and you say you're on break, so they ask if you can find a worker on the clock... and you can't find a single salesfloor person

The whole predicament can be avoided if you make damn sure to wear a jacket covering your red shirt on your break! I have a black Mossimo hoodie that has done me wonders.

I'd try that if my store wasn't so @#$!! hot.
They oughta be glad I even wear a shirt!

So many guests were complaining about how hot it was that I just started telling them that Target was taking the lead in energy conservation for our city so as not to overload the grid.
Some folks were impressed. I just hope they don't contact corp to compliment them & blow my story.

That's something I freaking hate is working somewhere that the HVAC is controlled from somewhere else.

What?

It's hot/cold in your store?

No it's not.

The thermometer that we're reading, from 300 miles away, says it's perfectly comfortable.

That's something I freaking hate is working somewhere that the HVAC is controlled from somewhere else.

What?

It's hot/cold in your store?

No it's not.

The thermometer that we're reading, from 300 miles away, says it's perfectly comfortable.

ironically that's how Target is. It's always too hot or too cold.

I can understand they don't want every random employee playing around with the thermostat, but...

When the customers are complaining it's too hot/too cold.

The employees are complaining it's too hot/too cold.

The manager should be able to override it and turn the thermostat up or down.

Not only that but the same store I worked at where our front end people were melting and running down in their shoes because of the sun coming in the windows.

The very same store, you could walk through the frozen/dairy aisles and they had the freaking heat running, on an 80 degree spring afternoon, but wouldn't turn on AC for the front end.

We have space heaters in the pharmacy. Personally, I HATE them because I'm always too hot and I ROAST whenever I'm near them :(

The whole predicament can be avoided if you make damn sure to wear a jacket covering your red shirt on your break! I have a black Mossimo hoodie that has done me wonders.

That doesn't actually work for me. When I'm on break, and I need to shop, I always take off my polo, and I always wear a non-red shirt. About once a week, someone will just walk up to me and start asking where things are.

But then again, this also happens to me when I'm in other retail stores before or after work. Best Buy, Grocery stores, a library, even a Value Village. I think people automatically equate the khakis with retail drone.

Try being on the sales floor wearing a shirt and tie.

The assumption then isn't just that you're a "retail drone," it's that you're the retail drone in charge.

Telling them that you aren't is pointless.

Customer, "Are you the manager?"

Me, "No, I'm not, but can I help you with something?"

Customer proceeds to *************** to me about something I have no control over, about someone who is actually above me and often times, about something that not even the manager can do anything about because it's company policy.

I find that it's sometimes just quicker to show them where the item is than to find an "available team member". Like Imerzan said, if I'm on break, I usually just add a minute or two to my break and if I'm on lunch, I'll punch back in and THEN go to the bathroom/put my purse away/refill my drink/whatever instead of doing it before.

My comp shop TM is often asked to help customers at Walmart find things. She often just points them in the direction of the item. If they need more assistance she tells to look for a Walmart employee. One person started to argue with her and she finally told them I only allowed in the stockroom at Target. Customer walked away and mumbled "see if I shop here again."

My comp shop TM is often asked to help customers at Walmart find things. She often just points them in the direction of the item. If they need more assistance she tells to look for a Walmart employee. One person started to argue with her and she finally told them I only allowed in the stockroom at Target. Customer walked away and mumbled "see if I shop here again."

Haha! I love it!!!! I guess I am assuming that she wears the Target badge and uses the palm pilot thing?.. Meaning to a person of moderate intelligence that the lack of a blue shirt and the little bullseye might mean she doesn't work there, yet the customer doesn't want to shop at wally world anymore cuz a Target employee would not go to an employee only area of a competitors store... Gotta love people! ;)

Haha! I love it!!!! I guess I am assuming that she wears the Target badge and uses the palm pilot thing?.. Meaning to a person of moderate intelligence that the lack of a blue shirt and the little bullseye might mean she doesn't work there, yet the customer doesn't want to shop at wally world anymore cuz a Target employee would not go to an employee only area of a competitors store... Gotta love people! ;)

My Target had comp shoppers and when they went out do do a comp shop, they wore regular clothes, not red and khaki.

My Target had comp shoppers and when they went out do do a comp shop, they wore regular clothes, not red and khaki.

Sounds like a dream. I would walk around with patched pants and a Toxic Holocaust band shirt so people would *avoid* me.... MUAHAHAHAHAH!

One time, I was punched out with my coat on and carrying a purse, standing next to two ETLs pushing a trend run. A guest came up, turned directly to ME, not the two people who were clearly working, and started asking me where things were. Seriously?!

One time, I was punched out with my coat on and carrying a purse, standing next to two ETLs pushing a trend run. A guest came up, turned directly to ME, not the two people who were clearly working, and started asking me where things were. Seriously?!

The guest must have realized they were ETLs and probably had no idea where things were!:pfft:

The guest must have realized they were ETLs and probably had no idea where things were!:pfft:

If the guest was smart enough to know what an ETL is/does, you'd think they'd be smart enough to recognize that itsamutiny was off the clock. (rolls eyes)

If the guest was smart enough to know what an ETL is/does, you'd think they'd be smart enough to recognize that itsamutiny was off the clock. (rolls eyes)

Saying a guest knows what an ETL does is like...... Brain meltdown...................

Lol kidding :)

This is why I rarely shop at my store when I'm not on the clock. On the very rare occasion that I have had to pick up a thing or two before I head home, I make sure my jacket is covering my entire red polo.

Helping guests......in my store if you are on the way to a break/lunch/returning to TSC/going home and the guest asks where something is, we're kind of expected to at least tell them what area in the store they need to go to. If you don't know the answer then we can just direct them to guest services. But we do not tell guests that we're "off the clock"....sometimes a TM will say that they don't know the answer and direct the guest to guest services. It's not hard to do and this isn't "working off the clock." Like it or not, when you are dressed in red & khakhi and are at your store, you STILL REPRESENT Target and people must remember this, but sadly, many do not.
'

Someone earlier in this thread commented on "you reap what you sow." I believe that with all my heart.
If people (Target team members & others) would be polite to others then perhaps this world would be a better place.

I have to say that I am glad that I don't know where some of you work because if I asked an easy question and got some of the answers I've heard then I would find the manager on duty and complain. I would do this at Target or any other store....and I have.

I am saddened that many people today have forgotten how important it is to have manners and be polite.

This is why I rarely shop at my store when I'm not on the clock. On the very rare occasion that I have had to pick up a thing or two before I head home, I make sure my jacket is covering my entire red polo.

Exactly what I do after punching out at the gas station I now work at.

I always make sure that I am wearing a jacket during my breaks. People usually don't bother me and other team members always assume that I am going home it's that good of a disguise. If it is not clear that I am on my break then sure I will help the guest but if I have a jacket on or I'm on the phone, you as a guest should use common sense and ask someone who actually looks like they are working at the moment.

I'm all for being polite and helping the guest but there is a line.

I have to say that I am glad that I don't know where some of you work because if I asked an easy question and got some of the answers I've heard then I would find the manager on duty and complain. I would do this at Target or any other store....and I have.

I agree with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back