Archived I'm stumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a new GSTL in a low volume store. I've raised the YTD conversion by 40% since I came on board. We're close to the top every week in our district. BUT...when I'm not in the store, we fail miserably. What can I do to motivate my team when I'm not there? Clearly I don't have much in the way of peer help. Clearly I don't have much in the way of GSAs. One would think that they'd want to do a good job every day, not just when I'm there, looking over shoulders. Any suggestions?

I'm struggling here. Is it a lack of accountability from the other GSTL? Or should the ETL GE be more to blame? He has so much more to do, as ETL SF/GE but shouldn't he be doing some thing while I'm not there? Where should I turn for help?

My weekends off kill us. I can't imagine what it would be like if I took a week of vacation. AAARRRRGH!!!!!!!

I'm a new GSTL in a low volume store. I've raised the YTD conversion by 40% since I came on board. We're close to the top every week in our district. BUT...when I'm not in the store, we fail miserably. What can I do to motivate my team when I'm not there? Clearly I don't have much in the way of peer help. Clearly I don't have much in the way of GSAs. One would think that they'd want to do a good job every day, not just when I'm there, looking over shoulders. Any suggestions?

I'm struggling here. Is it a lack of accountability from the other GSTL? Or should the ETL GE be more to blame? He has so much more to do, as ETL SF/GE but shouldn't he be doing some thing while I'm not there? Where should I turn for help?

My weekends off kill us. I can't imagine what it would be like if I took a week of vacation. AAARRRRGH!!!!!!!
Start writing your GSA's up

What is it that you have done to raise the conversion? Do the cashiers enjoy working with you? Or is it the time of day? Sometimes we will only have 1 or 2 cards in the morning and by later in the day we will end up in the high double digits.
Does the other gstl and or GSA's know the importance of conversion?
I would suggest talking with the other GSTL and ask her what she does to bring conversion up.

Write. Your. Staff. Up.

My store had this same issue. A Sr. GSTL who was the Conversion queen. But when she wasn't there, it all went to hell. So we did the "matching game". This is how it works:

Sr. GSTL - Morning Shift
--- Works until about 4:45PM -- Got 8 Red Cards

GSTL / GSA -- Afternoon / Night Shift
--- Must match or come within one of what she got in the morning. If they do, they are rewarded with the usual Requisitions and prizes. If they don't, then they start analyzing the staff and who isn't pulling weight, then writing people up.

It's heartless, but it worked. We went from 9 to 10 red cards a day to about 16 to 17 on average.

Accountability and set expectations. You can't be the only one doing their job.

Side note: You seem like an awesome TL. Keep it up!

I am in the same boat in the role of new(est) gstl. I walk into 2-5 redcards and leave with 18-20. Constantly lowest in the district, I am pulling my weight driving the redcards. When I'm not there, the number stays low. I can hold the GSAs accountable, but the GE needs to step up and make the other GSTLs accountable. It is frustrating.

If you begin this process by writing them up or coaching them, you might as well just find new GSAs. You will lose their buy in completely, and they will never be completely on your side again. Remember...GSAs are severely overworked and underpaid...they're doing much of the same job you are and being held to the same expectations in many ways for about half of the money.

Now...first...look at their routines. You said you are low volume...this generally means your GSAs have more grunt work to do than the higher volume stores. Of course these are generally things TLs don't have to do, and can find someone else to do, but the GSAs are expected to do.

Are they expected to get carts? ETLs who foolishly think we can run the lanes and be sure all the cashiers are asking about the REDCards while we spend half our shift in the parking lot are just plain goofy.

Are they jumping on for first responder for back up before calling the salesfloor? My TLs can get away with calling for back up first, but we had better have a really good reason for not jumping on ourselves, first. This means less time working with the cashiers and supporting them.

Are they expected to have dollar spot zoned, check lanes zoned and instocks done, the front end look presentable 100% of the time, etc while jumping on for back up and getting carts and covering breaks? If so, you have eaten their entire day away. The cashiers know the GSA can't watch the lanes much at all when they are doing all of these tasks, so they stop asking.

Next, are your GSAs feeling supported and recognized when they do a good job? My guess is the answer is no. It doesn't matter what you think their answer should be. Their perception is their reality. They need to know how much you appreciate them. If you don't appreciate them, get GSAs you can work with. And dear God, recognize other strengths and achievements outside of REDCards. We're more than walking REDcard robots. Make sure they know they can come to you or another leader with any issues and concerns.

Do they feel and see they supported by the LODs in the building? When my LOD for the night starts ignoring the front lanes, it becomes obvious to the entire team. It's not because I say anything, but it's because they hear me calling and being ignored or disregarded. And then things start to fall apart. Everyone up front stops caring and simply goes into survival mode to try and get through the night.

Make sure the GSAs feel they have the time and tools necessary to work with the cashiers and make sure they are asking. Make sure they know how important it is for the company, so they can at least pretend to care on their shifts. Make sure it's a team effort. Yesterday every time they got a REDcard at the lanes, my GSTL came ovr and high fives me at guest services. Why? Because I am part of the overall culture that makes it happen, period.

Heck, if needed, give them prizes if the store can get so many REDCards on their shift. Make it something worthwhile. That will show them it can be done, so it can happen when it's just a normal day.

Check to be sure your GSTL and ETL are on board and supporting you. This culture has to come from everyone...not just you.

And then when you have done all of this, only then, can you consider coaching or writing them up. Because your front end suffers when your leaders suffer. So unless you can replace them, do everything you can to support and lift them up before you start tearing them down.

I've never seen one of them pushing carts or zoning. They make the cashiers do their grunt work or if I'm there, I do what needs to be done. Before I came, no one held them responsible for anything except change requests and banking the lanes. They pretty much leaned against the wall at Guest Service and chatted with softlines TMs. When I came, I implemented routines for opening and closing GSA/GSTL. We are treated the same, except that the GSTLs are supposed to coach and do paperwork, order supplies, status with the Team, but so far I'm the only one who has done any of that.

I guess it's time to lean on the ETL GE for more support. He's supportive, but he doesn't hold them accountable. I just get, "Yeah, great idea - run with it." We are low volume and he is ETL GE/Sales Floor so he's got lots on his plate but I can't coach my peer and coaching the GSAs is unproductive if they aren't held accountable in my absence.

They're great when I'm there, but I can't be there all the time. Nor should I have to be.

I guess what I need are ideas to motivate them in my absence. I hate the idea of performancing them out but I can't run the front end alone.

RG, I respect your opinion and see you as a peer. What would you do in my situation?

I really think your store has overstepped the GSA boundaries and you probably are in the wrong store. But it's common for those who are above average intelligence and who have good work ethic to be taken advantage of. Lucky for you, there's another tunnel (not named Target) with a light at the end of it.

Your issues run way deeper than conversion. That or I'm in the wrong store. I can't decide.
At my store the GSA is the front lanes "bitch". They backup, zone , get carts , clean the restrooms, get red cards, do carry outs, cover breaks at Starbucks and food ave , Etc etc

Your issues run way deeper than conversion. That or I'm in the wrong store. I can't decide.
At my store the GSA is the front lanes "bitch". They backup, zone , get carts , clean the restrooms, get red cards, do carry outs, cover breaks at Starbucks and food ave , Etc etc

Ours do most of that. Never seen ours clean the restrooms, or cover starbucks breaks, but the rest is common, except for getting carts, only the one new GSA does that, the others send me, but I don't mind since the other GSA is 60+ and female, and the GSTL is 30 and has back injuries that cause him to walk with a limp so I don't mind getting the carts if needed since I'm certainly far more physically able than either of them are.

I do all of the above, as well as ordering supplies, coaching cashiers, and training new GSA's. My store expects me to function as a GSTL, yet pays me like a TM. Oh, and it was extra nice of them to promote someone from a different work center to be the new GSTL when the old one moved up. Don't mind me, I'm just venting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back