Archived In side 90 days and I boned up....help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got caught vaping right as the entire team was in TSC and about to go home, I'm inside my 90 days, my LOD for the night was cool with me and everyone in management likes me but now she said that they want to sit down and "talk" to me on my next shift (mind you it was after close and i dont worm for 3 days). Is it safe to say I'm going to be fired, if not now, then on my 90 day review?

At the very least I would assume it's a final corrective action. Depending what state you work in, vaping inside a public building is illegal - this would lead to termination.

I mean management loves me to death so I got that going for me, guess I'll just have to wait until I clock in next shift on sunday, but like if she was gonna fire me wouldn't it have been on the spot?

It needs to be approved by HR for you to be fired but do expect some sort of corrective action. What counts against you is you're still within your 90 day learning period so CCAs (Write ups) don't apply to those still within their 90 days. Serious offenses lead to immediate termination.

It was an incredibly idiotic thing to do so I honestly expect you to be termed. Not trying to sound like a jerk but it's reality.

here's+your+sign.png

If I just lit up a cigarette at the time clock, I'd be fired. Basically the same thing in terms of codes and laws. Not to mention the lack of respect it shows for your store, team members, and management.
Hopefully for you it's just a CA.

Idiot

If there's a next time, wait until you're outside or do what my TMs do in our store, go to the bathroom in the Backroom

I mean management loves me to death so I got that going for me, guess I'll just have to wait until I clock in next shift on sunday, but like if she was gonna fire me wouldn't it have been on the spot?

Just because you perceive that management likes you, doesn't mean you won't get termed for this. I liked a lot of my employees, then they would get caught stealing, have an attendance issue or do something moronic like you did and I still terminated them. With future employment i would suggest not to think you are above the rules (or laws in this case) just because your liked. I would also suggest you gain something called "common courtesy" - no one wants to walk through your vape cloud or smell it at work.

Pretty sure one of the signs next to the Federal Minimum Wage laws and OSHA laws and whatnot specifically says "No Smoking"

Weird a couple of our LOD's puff on their E-cigs in the break room. I've even seen a team member joke around and puff "rings" and show the LOD lol.

But isn't vaping just water vapor and not smoke?

It isn't illegal in all states. In my state it is a municipality by municipality thing. And in my city, there's no law against it. I hated when guests (usually younger ones) would come in doing it. And they always did it with an attitude of "you can't do anything about it" which made it even worse. The LODs at the time said they couldn't do anything about it unless they were harassing other guests and blowing it in their face.

There are also some asthmatics that have a reaction to vape smoke. Not entirely sure if it's the contents or just the vapor itself, but I definitely notice that my chest tightens up if I'm exposed to too much vape. Which is unfortunate, since it seems like at least 30% of the students on campus vape. Maybe it's just an allergic reaction and completely unrelated to my asthma.

One of the strategies I employed in this situation is to convince the TL/ETL/STL/DTL that they're actually under THEIR 90 days. Then tell them that you'll let them off with a warning this time and then say "... but next time..." wag your finger and then walk away. They'll be so grateful that they won't fire you.

I don't think it's the worst thing in the world you could have done but because it's up there with actual smoking due to nicotine and other factors in the smoke/vape that's why it's probably going to be an issue. But like others have said you can't just assume because they like you that you will be let off the hook. I'm liked by a lot of the managers but I know if I did something wrong that would go out the door since they have to follow their rules on how to handle situations as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back