Archived Integrated guest service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do Target stores always have integrated guest service as a result of remodel of a store that originally didn't have it? Or do some new stores open up with integrated guest service?

My store is one of the newest Targets in my area and it opened that way (with IGS).

Mostly low volume stores have them or will convert to them. Some stores opening now are built with them do to the fact that it gives extra selling space.

Seems like it mostly happens at ULV stores. Thankfully, my store has way too much foot traffic to make IGS work.

IGS at my store works out pretty well, my only complaint would be the little amount of space behind the registers and reshop area.

No.. Last year we did the E&E and Home remodels and SCO remodels and kept our GS counter. There is no way in hell we could have a IGS.. Way to high a volume to make it work.

No.. Last year we did the E&E and Home remodels and SCO remodels and kept our GS counter. There is no way in hell we could have a IGS.. Way to high a volume to make it work.
Same here we even had the flexible fulfillment storage room built

IGS could work very well with a queueing line system ad opposed to a multi lane system.

One line, all registers in a row. Next customer is called to next available register, all cashiers function as both cashier and gs.

Word is Brian hates IGS and is planning ways to get rid of it.

Wow, if true this would be probably the only thing Brian does right. IGS is awful just as a concept. Having a checklane that duel functions as a guest service desk is lame as hell and inconveniences both TMs and guests. There is a reason no other retailer does that shit.

What is an integrated guest service?

IGS could work very well with a queueing line system ad opposed to a multi lane system.

One line, all registers in a row. Next customer is called to next available register, all cashiers function as both cashier and gs.

Haha. Not at my store. Some of our cashiers are great. There are a few, however, that I have to wonder how they were even hired.

:looking at you - the cashier eating a bag of chips while on the clock, and at your register:

Wow, if true this would be probably the only thing Brian does right. IGS is awful just as a concept. Having a checklane that duel functions as a guest service desk is lame as hell and inconveniences both TMs and guests. There is a reason no other retailer does that shit.

Old Navy does.

Old Navy does.
I was just about to say this, most clothing retailers technically have IGS, and the lines move faster than target lines usually (but then again, it's just clothes, not market, makeup, etc... all on one order).

However, it could/would work if they'd properly train cashiers to be efficient but that'll never happen.

From another thread:
We have got it as part of our remodel and we are not ultra low volume. It looks much nicer than our old guest service and it isn't terrible. From a guest perspective, it always looks like there's at least one express lane open. The GSTL/GSA can watch guest service and the lanes without having to walk away from the lanes. There are a few cons though:

1. People wanting to do returns now have to wait behind other guests just making purchases.
2. The lanes do not specify that they are express lanes or anything since technically Target no longer has express lanes. Guests with a basket(s) full of stuff will check out there where there is little counter space and no belt.
3. Pair number one and number two and you have some annoyed guests.
4. Guest service no longer has down time to zone one spot, check the bathrooms, do defectives, help guests with registries, or anything else they would normally do.
5. There's not much room behind it so returns fill up fairly fast and if you have a large item you basically have to go get it then or it looks junky. Think domestics.

Our guest service tms and GSTLs/GSAs don't care for it much, but now that it's been a few months we are getting used to it. The guests don't seem to mind it too terribly, but the wait for returns is usually longer. Although we did have a sign that said something to the effect of "Why wait to do returns? Go ahead and do your shopping and then do your returns and checkout at the same time!"

And our Guest Service TMs are now scheduled under cashierin per best practice. There are still only a few TMs that consistently work IGS, but I guess since it's also considered a normal lane HQ wants the hours to come out of the cashier workcenter.

sigma7

Many retailers are switching to a single line queue system. It's much easier to manage, and if you do it right the wait time is much, much lowered.

There are multiple other benefits including taking up signifigantly less space, reducing clutter, and the ability to merchandise your impulse items along the single line, boosting sales.

Ugh, I would fucking hate working at an IGS. I'm working on so many other things when I'm not assisting a guest. It seems only practical if the only goal is to do nothing but assist guests. But 40% of my job is doing charge backs, packing up salvage, handling strays, and all the other loose ends of the store. GS is like liver of the store!!! I have to process all the shit before it can go anywhere!

exactly! IGS was such a stupid idea from the start!

Can you imagine Walmart having IGS? How would such be at a Walmart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back