Archived Interested in working in DC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, everyone! I am interested in working in a Distribution Center. I interviewed for a Group Leader position before but didn't go well. Any help for a second chance.

Well, First off Target LOVES feedback, they will have provided you with feedback from your interview process (you got that far right?) those are obviously points you should work on before you apply. I would recommend trying not to limit yourself to one specific DC or location, again another of Targets big things is flexibility ( I.E. in 2013 the new FDC is opening @ W. Jefferson there going to need to staff it so they'd like a candidate that's willing to move around some to suite there needs they'll appropriately compensate you for this move.) Now this is nothing concrete but, 1. I only know of 1 GL that has ever worked for a store, out of the 50+ at a DC. 2. Target like Military experience ( It means your Trainable) 3. How much management experience do you have (0 to 2 years is about right for most new GL's, excluding military) 4. at least @ my DC community involvement is key point for most of these new GL's, what do you do to help the people you live around.

I can get into some more detail in a little but I've got errands to run

Thanks Greenshirt! I did make it to an on-site interview. In the email I received from my recruiter, it stated "We realize that candidates often request feedback; however Target policy does not allow us to provide external candidates with specific feedback." Therefore, I didn't inquiry any further. I do have experience in management, though not military experience. I expressed my desire to relocated. I will keep trying. Thanks for the help!

TargetOldTimer,
The fact that I didn't get the job is my reasoning. I was extremely nervous. I personally believed I could have done better.

Well it happens we all blow an interview(or several) during our careers. I Since you got to an on site interview that speaks well of what Target see's as your potential, I would recommend applying again in a few months time. Since apparently Target's policy on providing feedback to external candidates has changed I'd say just work on what you preceive to be your weakness's (nervousness in stressful situations)

Best of luck!

I've had a few interviews and so far I've nailed them each time, I would say you just have to go in there and be confident. However, with target specifically the most important thing you can do is when they ask you to describe a time when you did something wrong and how you fixed it, GIVE A GOOD EXAMPLE (details)! So long as it's not safety related!

I've had lots of friends who have gone in for interviews for different positions and every time someone bombs it they always end up saying something like "Well I haven't really made any mistakes" or they give an example where they really weren't the ones who fixed the problem but they thought they where.

Sorry to hear you didn't get the job, keep trying GL positions seem to open up all the time(turnover).

Very good point on using GOOD narratives Trowa, I know I messed that one up in an internal interview before.

I'd like to throw my own questions into the mix as I've come to realize I would like to work my way up in Target through the DC. I posted in the Target store forum about ETL -Logistics and ETL- OPS but was told that Target typical doesn't start fresh ETL's in those positions, which were the only ones I was interested in. I am an Operations concentrator whose somewhat knowledgeable about supply chain and distribution. I'd like to work somewhere that I could apply my skills. Here's a quick snipet from my other post with the stuff about ETL's removed:

"I'm currently employed as a TM at my local store, though away on LoA. I will be graduating this year from a reputable university with a decent grade point average (above a 3.0) and am interested in advancing my career at somewhere I am familiar with. Queue, Target. I have no idea about the structure of Target distribution center employment. The best I could make of it was that the Group Team Leader is an equivalent entry level position to a retail store ETL. Does anyone here know how Target Distribution management is ran and what I should be applying for? My goal is to advance my career with specific regards to Operations Management, and possibly become a Senior Buyer or Supply Chain Manager as quickly as possible. My STL has a connection with a Target distribution manager up in Washington DC and he wants to forward my resume to her, but I'd really like more info about Target Distribution before I make that move. Any advice in relation to these question or my goals would be great!"

Apply for dc! There is no dc in Washington, D.C.. Stuart drafts or Suffolk, is best bet. Those locations supply va & dc.

Last edited:
I'd like to throw my own questions into the mix as I've come to realize I would like to work my way up in Target through the DC. I posted in the Target store forum about ETL -Logistics and ETL- OPS but was told that Target typical doesn't start fresh ETL's in those positions, which were the only ones I was interested in. I am an Operations concentrator whose somewhat knowledgeable about supply chain and distribution. I'd like to work somewhere that I could apply my skills. Here's a quick snipet from my other post with the stuff about ETL's removed:

"I'm currently employed as a TM at my local store, though away on LoA. I will be graduating this year from a reputable university with a decent grade point average (above a 3.0) and am interested in advancing my career at somewhere I am familiar with. Queue, Target. I have no idea about the structure of Target distribution center employment. The best I could make of it was that the Group Team Leader is an equivalent entry level position to a retail store ETL. Does anyone here know how Target Distribution management is ran and what I should be applying for? My goal is to advance my career with specific regards to Operations Management, and possibly become a Senior Buyer or Supply Chain Manager as quickly as possible. My STL has a connection with a Target distribution manager up in Washington DC and he wants to forward my resume to her, but I'd really like more info about Target Distribution before I make that move. Any advice in relation to these question or my goals would be great!"

There are plenty of threads here in dc to review.

yep, no need to answer what's already been answered I figured.

BizMan:
When your STL told you they had connections with "leadership" at a DC I'm going to assume they were referring to Washington state as opposed to Washington DC, as there is a IW in Lacey specifically T-600. If your goal in Target is to move up to a corporate position thru a DC warehousing would get your foot in the door, allowing you to get hands on experience leading people and understanding Target's production system. From there once you've put in 6 months try to look for a Production Controller, or Logistics position. Either of those should allow you more access to the Seniors,HRM and the GM. These people will be able to give you far better advise on moving up to Corporate, than I can.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back