Archived Interview in 2 Days, PLEASE help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, I cannot believe I found these forums, they've been of tremendous help already.
Secondly, I would really appreciate it if someone could help out with some of the questions I have.

I have an interview with the STL in South Bay California on Wednesday 8/23 for an ETL position. Theres a few questions that I wanted to ask. Brief background about me: Experienced manager/supervisor of 10-15 employees, with 4 years of experience in supply chain/logistics. But I'm also a full time business management student. I want to preferably apply for the etl - logistics role.

I've let the target recruiter know that I'm unavailable on Tuesdays and Thursdays I told her I can take a night shift from 3pm - to closing. She was ok with this and we went ahead with setting up the 2nd interview.

I've done alot of research on the company dating all the way back to its dayton times, so any company related questions I feel I can answer.
I've reviewed a ton of the glassdoor behavioral questions and answered them as well in addition to what the recruiter sent me.

1)What kind of a salary should I expect to hear from them? I saw that the general range for CA is around 60k for an ETL but read on these forums that generally for logistics I shouldn't accept anything below 65k, is this also true for CA?

2)Do you think given my experience and background I have some leverage on negotiating a salary?

3)What kind of super tricky questions do you think they'll ask me?

4)Do you think given my school schedule, I wont completely mess up both work and school considering the hours?

5)How should I negotiate my salary If (from what I've read) you dont really know where youre going to be assigned upon hire

Last edited:
Your hours & position could change due to business needs, especially on Black Friday.
Welcome!
Etl STAR interviews:
The answer to your question(s) are pretty simple. During your interview be honest and yourself. They will ask you 4-5 situational questions (total of 3 rounds I believe) just to see what type of leader you are. Remember to paint them a picture because what they are looking for in each question that you answer is to be outlined in the following way:

Situation - how does your answer relate to the question
Example: tell me about a time you had to make a tough decison
You - During college ect..... <--- you are painting them a picture so tehy can visually see your answer.
Task - what did you have to accomplish/what what was the issue or problem
Action - how did you solve this issue/what steps were taken.
Result - what was the final outcome.

Overall be upbeat. During the interview don't EVER put yourself down. Even with the famous questions "what is one think your previous supervisor would change or say that you need to work on." Turn the question about to something like: "One thing my past supervisor would stay that I can improve is sometimes I tend want to help out too much. If I see someone struggling I always try and offer assistance." Remember to turn a weakness into a strength (sorry I just got off work so if a lot does not make sense please don't blame me lol).

Coolnite7, Yesterday at 8:48 PM

Last edited:
Oh no I know how to conduct myself at an interview and answering the questions. I just had some specific questions like:

What kind of a salary should I expect to hear from them? I saw that the general range for CA is around 60k for an ETL but read on these forums that generally for logistics I shouldn't accept anything below 65k, is this also true for CA?

Do you think given my experience and background I have some leverage on negotiating a salary?

What kind of super tricky questions do you think they'll ask me?

As far as pay glassdoor is helpful always ask high and show a willingness to come down. I wouldn't ask for over 70, some assume if you don't get your asking price you will quickly leave for a better job so they go with another candidate. You will probably settle around 60-65. You won't know you are getting logistics until after you are hired.

Generally they don't start ETLs over 70. They know they can hire a young out of college for a lot cheaper.

As far as tricky questions that depends on your interviewer we can't really help you there.

Best of luck to you I am curious how you will do fulltime school and work a 60 hour week at spot fourth quarter.

I feel I can confidently negotiate for this position (I'll settle for 65), as for school, its only 4 classes, 1 of them is online which my wife will help out with (as in shell completely do it).

But honestly @HRZone I've scoured these forums for hours in the past couple of days and I must say I'm really distraught. 99% of the stuff I'm reading about people's experiences are negative, they hate the job, they're overworked, incompetent managers and so forth.

I'm decently experienced in management and have run my own business consisting of around 12 employees, I know how important communication and motivation is, when I worked at Enterprise I read horrible reviews as well but it wasnt as bad as Target I think (thats where I learned on how to motivate people specifically) .
I was completely stoked for this company and this interview because as an ETL I already had a total game plan on how to motivate, help out and have fun with my team members. Is this job really that freaking bad? I don't remember where I read it but one person even said that 'in my 12 years I've never met an ETL who loves their job'. And theres tens of other posts like this about ETLs specifically that hate their job...

I'm completely distraught and disappointed.

I feel I can confidently negotiate for this position (I'll settle for 65), as for school, its only 4 classes, 1 of them is online which my wife will help out with (as in shell completely do it).

But honestly @HRZone I've scoured these forums for hours in the past couple of days and I must say I'm really distraught. 99% of the stuff I'm reading about people's experiences are negative, they hate the job, they're overworked, incompetent managers and so forth.

I'm decently experienced in management and have run my own business consisting of around 12 employees, I know how important communication and motivation is, when I worked at Enterprise I read horrible reviews as well but it wasnt as bad as Target I think (thats where I learned on how to motivate people specifically) .
I was completely stoked for this company and this interview because as an ETL I already had a total game plan on how to motivate, help out and have fun with my team members. Is this job really that freaking bad? I don't remember where I read it but one person even said that 'in my 12 years I've never met an ETL who loves their job'. And theres tens of other posts like this about ETLs specifically that hate their job...

I'm completely distraught and disappointed.

I will say this-

If your STL takes good care of their ETL's they will take care of their TL's and they will take care of the TM's.

A good ETL does whatever to get the job done even if its doing it themselves. My ETL has worked abandon or covered Guest service. They respect their TL's and Tm's. They spend time interacting and be available.

I was told you can have 20 years of management experience but still be a shitty manager. Are you the asking type or the demanding type? Think about it.

Before joining Enterprise, I had read a lot of horror stories, like pretty awful ones. But for the first 7 months I had the most fantastic time at work, it all came from my branch manager who was without exaggeration a true inspiration. He used to grind it all out with us and never just demanded, he was funny, random lunches, nerf guns etc etc. Then management changed (he got promoted) and we got the most dull and demanding manager ever who never actually knew how to do anything at first but kept on demanding.

I guess this is a chance that I'll have to take because If I'm not mistaken this is what you're getting at, that it all depends on the management.

Before joining Enterprise, I had read a lot of horror stories, like pretty awful ones. But for the first 7 months I had the most fantastic time at work, it all came from my branch manager who was without exaggeration a true inspiration. He used to grind it all out with us and never just demanded, he was funny, random lunches, nerf guns etc etc. Then management changed (he got promoted) and we got the most dull and demanding manager ever who never actually knew how to do anything at first but kept on demanding.

I guess this is a chance that I'll have to take because If I'm not mistaken this is what you're getting at, that it all depends on the management.

We all make it out to be so bad, but only because the night was bad and we're just pissed off. I have pretty great ETLs and leadership, if I got a new ETL or Leader I'd be kind of upset, I love them. I can't see my ETLs getting laid off or fired, the old logistics ETL did leave for whatever reason, I'm not sure, I never knew her though, so I'm not upset at all, but like if my ETL-GE left or ETL-Sales floor did, I'd be super upset. I love them.

Most of the stories you're hearing are from freshly graduated college students that have never done anything like an ETL has to do before, and they just nag nag nag about it. If you stay true to who you are, and help your team members, assist other leaders, and do well(you can honestly do a pretty bad job and probably still not get fired, it's really hard, it'll take some time at least.) you should make it. take this great opportunity, 65000 a year sounds great, Target is competitive pay so make sure you have a goal in mind, but also find out what you will accept as a bottom line. Go in preparing to get offered the lowest amount possible, and come out earning more salary than you might of though you would. Don't expect things to go well, make things go well.

I'm just rambling at this point, but good luck!

You have to remember people use this site to vent. Most of us love the company and our team but hate the out of touch directives that come from corporate.

A lot of my ETLs love their job. No two days are the same at Target. Like any job you take the good with the bad

People are more likely to post the negatives of their job just to vent about it, and not post the positives when things run smoothly. It doesn't help that the company is trying to revamp our logistics processes with vague directions, but it'll get figured out eventually.

If you are a good manager then you have a better chance to have a good experience.

Thanks for all the replies guys I really appreciate it.

So I did the interview yesterday, completely suited up, we had an awesome chat, told a lot about myself to the STL, I did OKish on the pre written format interview questions (I'd say I answered 3 out of 5 great but not the rest of the 2).

So the interview was about an hour long I told her my schedule as well, she seemed ok with it? At the end of the interview she said "The recruiter will contact you in a few days to let you know", I'm guessing I was a no go for them?

Thanks for all the replies guys I really appreciate it.

So I did the interview yesterday, completely suited up, we had an awesome chat, told a lot about myself to the STL, I did OKish on the pre written format interview questions (I'd say I answered 3 out of 5 great but not the rest of the 2).

So the interview was about an hour long I told her my schedule as well, she seemed ok with it? At the end of the interview she said "The recruiter will contact you in a few days to let you know", I'm guessing I was a no go for them?

Target likes a rather open availability, being it's a retail store, having weekends open for work is a huge plus and having your two days off during the week. Only time can tell, they might have other candidates on hold as well, so that might be why they said you will be called "in a few days" and they're just weighing their choices here. Lets hope you get it!

There may be a few other applicants that interviewed similarly; 3 out of 5 is about average in my experience. Wait a few days for them to contact you. Best of luck.

Target likes a rather open availability, being it's a retail store, having weekends open for work is a huge plus and having your two days off during the week. Only time can tell, they might have other candidates on hold as well, so that might be why they said you will be called "in a few days" and they're just weighing their choices here. Lets hope you get it!

Well I told her that "Im all yours except Tuesday and first half of Thursday" this was actually communicated to the recruiter thoroughly as well and she went ahead and set up the interview. I also called the store today to follow up but instead I had to leave a message with the operator (she said she'll put the note in her box, hopefully she does). I was just calling to thank her for the interview, reiterate my enthusiasm for Target and if she had any additional questions to please not hesitate to call.

I expressed a keen interest in the logistics department because the responsibilities she described is what I had been doing for 4 years already and I told her that all of that is right up my alley.

Thanks for the good wishes guys!!

If you have a big negative like closed availability they will usually only hire you if the other applicants suck or you are head and shoulders above everyone else

I have heard of team leads who don't have open availability but never an etl. As a salaried employee you are generally expected to be available at anytime should business needs require it.

Best of luck to you in your job search, whoever gets you is getting a great team member

If you have a big negative like closed availability they will usually only hire you if the other applicants suck or you are head and shoulders above everyone else

I have heard of team leads who don't have open availability but never an etl. As a salaried employee you are generally expected to be available at anytime should business needs require it.

Best of luck to you in your job search, whoever gets you is getting a great team member

Unfortunately your words could not have been more true. I just received a generic email stating I wasn't selected.

Unfortunately your words could not have been more true. I just received a generic email stating I wasn't selected.

That really sucks, man. I, myself, have been attempting to get a new job as a salesman and now the boss guy hasn't picked up his phone or replied to my emails in a few days, he wants to interview me, but I can't get a hold of him. Ughhh. What are your plans now?

That really sucks, man. I, myself, have been attempting to get a new job as a salesman and now the boss guy hasn't picked up his phone or replied to my emails in a few days, he wants to interview me, but I can't get a hold of him. Ughhh. What are your plans now?
Give him some time he's probably swamped. But dont lose touch with him. Honestly, I'm not too sure, I had a few backup companies like JB Hunt so I'll start giving them a call and see what I can do. Honestly I'm thinking I can really only apply for internships because thats the only way anyones got let me have specific days and time off

I was gunna say, why didn't you apply for the Exec Internship in the first place? As a fellow college student that needs 2 days off consistently minimum, thats what I'll be doing and I've got my STLs support for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back