Archived Interview next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have a few questions regarding my interview for the sales team member position.
How long does the interview process itself normally take? Is there normally just 1 interview? 2 interviews? What kind of situational questions are asked? Is there a drug test and how long does the test delay potential first day of employment?
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Two interviews. The first is a kind of screening with a Team Lead, who may or may not be your direct report upon hiring. Second with an ETL who is an assistant manager.

Questions are all situational. How did you react when x happened type deals. Tell me about a time you were interrupted while completing a task, a time you turned a situation around with your attitude, worked with someone you disagreed with, and one more in that packet that I can't remember. 8 total but that's usually the one I grab.

I don't think target does drug test for part time positions anymore.

I aim to spend about 15 minutes on my part of the interview process, but if yours goes faster, don't worry.

Hello, I have a few questions regarding my interview for the sales team member position.
How long does the interview process itself normally take? Is there normally just 1 interview? 2 interviews? What kind of situational questions are asked? Is there a drug test and how long does the test delay potential first day of employment?
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

First Interview is with a Team Lead and if you pass it you will have a second interview with an Executive Team Lead or the Store Team Lead.
Drug test are only required for AP positions but you will have to pass a background check before we can hire you.
Questions are tell me about a time when .... . When did you work with someone you disagreed etc.

The length of the interview process varies. For a regular Joe Schmo, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a couple days or even weeks. It really depends. @HRZone can give some great and more accurate feedback on this. In my case, I filled out an application online at 5AM because I was unemployed and awake due to a cold, and received a callback at 10:30 that very same morning.

From what I've heard, they give two interviews normally. In my case I came in for my first interview and was hired on the spot. I have to say ASANTS (All Stores Are Not The Same), but you can expect two interviews, maybe. As for a piss test, it may vary from state to state but I'm not sure if Spot does drug testing anymore. Shit's expensive.

The big thing you're going to want to think about is the questions they'll ask you. They will ask you things about "tell me about a time you did resolved a pressuring situation in a creative manner". It won't be that direct, but that's the gist of it. They're looking to see if you're a person who can be reasonably decisive and solve problems in a constructive yet somewhat creative manner. Spot likes people who can get shit done by thinking outside the box (as long as it's safe and sane) and with a smile on their face. It doesn't have to necessarily be work-oriented; if you're involved in social clubs, sports, volunteering, this is also applicable.

But yeah, just be cool, be yourself in the most professional way you can possibly be, make sure you're dressed appropriately (don't wear red and khaki to your interview, that's like going to a concert wearing a shirt of the band that you're seeing), and have a good attitude.

Just wanted to add, the biggest delay to your first day of employment may be your orientation date, as they often like to get a good sized group of new hires together before scheduling it. That may depend on how badly they need the help, though.
Good luck!

I've read that they raised starting pay to $10 for part-time employees. Is this true?

Depends on location, but in Portland OR at least i know that anyone working sales floor starts at 10.25 and backroom guys at 10.50, they were giving out little bumps for our market team, at 20 cents + whatever they made before.

The length of the interview process varies. For a regular Joe Schmo, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a couple days or even weeks. It really depends.

Good info. There are three processes to an interview

1. Interview a
2. Interview b
3. Job offer from HR

In general if you are told "we will be in touch" after your first interview it means you didn't get the job and will get a turn down email within 48 hours.

Occasionally the etl isn't there and after an A they will ask you to come back for a B that is a good sign.

There are times people pass and A and B and are told to come back when HR is there.

Ideally you can do all three in the same day.

I've read that they raised starting pay to $10 for part-time employees. Is this true?

This is state/city specific. My last store had a base of 15 an hour. My current store it's a lot lower.

You are free to call the store and ask what base pay is since it's pretty straightforward.

Last edited:
Slight hijacking, but is there anything you should bring with you to an interview?

No, some people bring a resume but that doesn't help. Your work history waa included on youe application.

Technically the interview is supposed to be completely based on answers.

Although presentation helps. I have had TLs confide they knew they were going to turn a person down when they showed up in shorts, a spaghetti strap etc.

Last edited:
So nothing too casual, but also not a suit or anything, right? Long sleeve t-shirt, jeans, decent pair of shoes, etc.. Would a small notepad and pencil be too much? From what I've read, it's possibly just two interviews with TLs and that's it, yeah?

98% of the time it's 2 interviews, if we are not 100% sure we sometimes do a third. We have people who show up in nice suits and some who show up in long sleeve shirts, jeans and good shoes. I do not recommend torn jeans and "wife beater" shirts.

Good info. There are three processes to an interview

1. Interview a
2. Interview b
3. Job offer from HR

In general if you are told "we will be in touch" after your first interview it means you didn't get the job and will get a turn down email within 48 hours.

Occasionally the etl isn't there and after an A they will ask you to come back for a B that is a good sign.

There are times people pass and A and B and are told to come back when HR is there.

Ideally you can do all three in the same day.

This is state/city specific. My last store had a base of 15 an hour. My current store it's a lot lower.

You are free to call the store and ask what base pay is since it's pretty straightforward.
So are you saying the two interviews are typically in the same day?

Yes in my opinion a good hrtm will schedule the interview when both the team lead and the executive team lead are there so a person doesn't have to shuttle back and forth to the store.

So nothing too casual, but also not a suit or anything, right? Long sleeve t-shirt, jeans, decent pair of shoes, etc.. Would a small notepad and pencil be too much? From what I've read, it's possibly just two interviews with TLs and that's it, yeah?

That is perfect. If you wear jeans I suggest a button down if you have one.

Don't pull the pad and paper out until after the interview and you are getting details on being hired/When your orientation is.

Yes! We try to schedule interviews when a TL and ETL are both available. I also only schedule interviews when I am available as well so I can do the job offer to avoid people having to come back.
Like HR Zone said, do not pull out the pad and paper until we make you a job offer and give you your orientation details.

I actually did wear slacks, heels and a nice blazer to mine. And I took a copy of both my resume and references. I've always felt that if you present yourself as a professional you start off with a leg up over the people who dress like they're going out to eat pizza.

I wore some slim (not skinny, but well fitting) jeans, solid black shoes, and a solid color button up. Had the interview with my TL and ETL, and then was asked to come back to speak with HR about it, it being the job offer. I thought I was a bit too casual because it was a button up and jeans, which is what I wear normally anyways, but I obviously didn't look ratty because they hired me.

I wore black slacks and a white button up and I brought a pad and pencil. I had 1 interview with both my SrTL and ETL in Logistics, at the end of interview they gave me a different position than the one I applied and researched so the paper was particularly handy. I was able to write down everything relating to my current position.

They spent all of 5 seconds after the interview deliberating on whether or not they wanted to hire me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back