Archived Interviewing/transfering from tm to team lead questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I'm just hoping to be able to pick a few brains and gain some insight/advice on becoming a team lead. My current situation is as an electronics tm in a ULV store. I'm on good terms with many of my ETLs and also good with our DTL. I'm wondering if there are no current team lead openings at my store, what would be the best way to gain an interview at another store in a different district that has some openings, should I ask my current ETL-hr for a transfer/team lead interview or should I just apply at the new store with the tl openings and let them contact my current store? I have expressed my interest in becoming a team lead with ny current STL and Electronics team lead so they are aware of my developmental desires. Also what is the team lead interview process like from those who have gone through it before. Please and thanks for all responses! Love having this board as a resource!

I would look at the situation in two parts... 1) Would they send you to TL interviews? If there WERE a spot open in your store, would you go to interviews for it? and 2) Would they let you transfer to another store (a question in and of itself)... The first part is your biggest hurdle, if that answer is a yes then a transfer is pretty straight forward... As long as your STL and ETL-HR approves it and the STL and ETL-HR at the new store is alright with it, a transfer should be able to take place!

TL interviews are generally 3 interviews in store and 1 DTL interview... They should all be 4 situation questions generally geared to the 4 leadership columns (personal, team, thought, and results).... If you are transferring to another store or district it will probably have to be with some of the leaders from those locations

Thanks Rock!! You always have the information I'm looking for! My current STL said she wants me to ask my current ETL to challenge me in leadership because she does see potential. Can one be sent to TL interviews and approved pending when a position opens up at their current store? Also if I have the blessing of many ETLs at my store who have told me I have what it takes can I be sent to interviews without my STL or is it kinda hopeless if the STL is not sold on me yet?

Yes, you can be signed off by your DTL and be "on the bench" awaiting the next open TL position. You will absolutely need the support of your STL - they are pretty much always an interviewer for the promotion process. I interviewed with both my STL and an STL from another store. The fact that several of your ETLs support you is definitely not a bad thing, and that will improve your chances of being supported by your STL!

Thanks Rock!! You always have the information I'm looking for! My current STL said she wants me to ask my current ETL to challenge me in leadership because she does see potential. Can one be sent to TL interviews and approved pending when a position opens up at their current store? Also if I have the blessing of many ETLs at my store who have told me I have what it takes can I be sent to interviews without my STL or is it kinda hopeless if the STL is not sold on me yet?

So there is your answer... you need to seek out feedback more, partner with your ETL, and make those improvements so the STL wants to send you to interviews (whether that is in her store or another)... Once you can do that and pass interviews, you can look to where you will end up!

Thanks Formina and Rock!! It's a process and I totally understand that its definitely not the kinda thing that just happens overnight.

A new TL promoted within starts at PG11.. @ $11.25/hr
ssooo if that's enough for you to lose your sanity, then go ahead and become a TL.
Personally, it's no where near worth what you have to put up with.

A new TL promoted within starts at PG11.. @ $11.25/hr
ssooo if that's enough for you to lose your sanity, then go ahead and become a TL.
Personally, it's no where near worth what you have to put up with.

I just got promoted from TM to TL and my store gave me PG13. Not really sure how they made that fly, tbqh. I won't question it though :)

I just got promoted from TM to TL and my store gave me PG13. Not really sure how they made that fly, tbqh. I won't question it though :)

If a logistics TM is at a higher paygrade than a cashier or sales floor TM, then is it possible for logistics TLs to be at a higher paygrade than sales floor and GSTLs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back