Is it better to get hired in as an intern or to get hired in as a team lead?

Is it better to get hired in as an intern or to get hired in as a team lead? I did the math on the average salary for an ETL, which according to some websites is $50-$55,000 a year, and then I compare that to a team lead who make 17 an hour, and after taxes it looks like there’s only an $8000 difference per year in my state. So does it seem better to get hired in as an intern with the hopes of becoming an ETL or should I try to get hired in as a team lead, because I would get 40 hours a week guaranteed and they can’t expect me to do like a 12 hour day or 16 hour day?

I'd say it's better to go the intern route, only because every single intern I've worked with was immediately hired on as an ETL, whereas promotion opportunities for TLs seem to be dwindling in modernization when they did away with the senior position.

If you want to become an intern for experience and a window into what it’s like to work in retail, that’s one thing, but once you have a degree please don’t waste your time with Spot. You can do better. As for being a team lead, I can’t recommend it. Under Modernization the stress and responsibilities seem to far outweigh the pay and opportunities. ASANTS, but in some cases TLs are finding themselves doing ETL work for TL pay. Not a good way to start a career. Good luck!

Thank you Everyone for responding! I will apply to be an intern (fingers crossed), it seems like getting hired in as a TM or TL is not worth the stress, and I could continue my current job until an internship opportunity comes up.
Is working as an ETL really so awful that I should book it after the internship? I’m thinking I could try to enter hospitality management with my degree/experience.

Thank you Everyone for responding! I will apply to be an intern (fingers crossed), it seems like getting hired in as a TM or TL is not worth the stress, and I could continue my current job until an internship opportunity comes up.
Is working as an ETL really so awful that I should book it after the internship? I’m thinking I could try to enter hospitality management with my degree/experience.
“Getting hired as a TM/TL is not worth the stress”
Applies for ETL 😳

“Getting hired as a TM/TL is not worth the stress”
Applies for ETL 😳

I’m willing to take the stress for that high salary. I can’t afford even a one bedroom by myself on a TL income. and I want to level up and use that experience to get into management elsewhere. I’m kind of desperate here.

I’m willing to take the stress for that high salary. I can’t afford even a one bedroom by myself on a TL income. and I want to level up and use that experience to get into management elsewhere. I’m kind of desperate here.
You’ll do great.

If you go ETL intern you’ll make maybe $18 an hour and work 8-10 hour days. You’ll be offered full time after graduating and be offered $55k-$58k, on call around the clock depending on your leadership/upper management team.

What you don’t know is being an actual ETL and having that on your resume is huge to other places. One of our interns took the job offer and next day they were offered more to work a 9-5 M-F with holidays off at another (great) company. Just take it and keep your LinkedIn profile updated.

If you go ETL intern you’ll make maybe $18 an hour and work 8-10 hour days. You’ll be offered full time after graduating and be offered $55k-$58k, on call around the clock depending on your leadership/upper management team.

What you don’t know is being an actual ETL and having that on your resume is huge to other places. One of our interns took the job offer and next day they were offered more to work a 9-5 M-F with holidays off at another (great) company. Just take it and keep your LinkedIn profile updated.

I will keep that in mind. I don't have a linkedin yet.

I absolutely agree! Go the intern route, easiest job ever for $18/hr. Started my internship in June 2019, by August I accepted to stay on as an extended intern. I’m basically done with my degree just need to finish one class and I’ll have my BA. I just got my job offer as ETL GE, and they are planning out my training schedule. And I haven’t even graduated yet! Not sure where they’re paying $70-80,000 salary (I’d love to go there), but they quoted me around $60,000 with full benefits.

Thank you everyone for responding. I was told that due to my class standing, I would not be eligible for the internship summer 2020. I graduate in May/June 2020, so my plan is to just apply to be an ETL fresh out of college.

I was once-upon-a-time a GSA...
I didn't realize Target hired people as interns??? What positions would an "intern" take on if hired? What is the process to get hired as an intern instead of a normal open position?
Thanks!

Back