Archived Is it ok to get my both parents to come in while I'm on as a cashier and sign up for red cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's my first week and I still haven't sold any red cards so I was wondering if I could get both of my parents to sign up for red cards so I would have 2 or is that breaking the rules and I could get fired?

In my store, cashiers may not ring up family or friends. Not sure if this is company-wide, though?

If its general ringing up, you are not allowed to have family come through your lane.

As for RedCard signups, check with your GSTL/ETL. You are technically bringing in a RedCard metric.

In the old days, TMs got credit for getting family to signup but another TM had to process the credit app.

Last edited:
I have no idea why you cannot sign your own family up for a redcard. It's not exactly cheating, and it only adds to the count of legitimate red card sign ups.

as for not letting your family go through your actual lane just to check out, I can see why, but I don't see why it's 100% not allowed store-wide. A cashier and the cashier's parents should be able to know they need to keep the pace going and can't take extra time talking. Once you get good at cashiering, it's easy to check out fast and chit-chat, but really I think your family should be able to come through your check out.

The trick is to not let anyone know you're related... ;) and even moreseo when applying for the RC... my parents don't want red cards anyways just like the rest of my area because I haven't gotten a single RC in months, so I don't really have to worry. (I'm semi-joking about what I just said before my parents not wanting a RC.)

I have no idea why you cannot sign your own family up for a redcard. It's not exactly cheating, and it only adds to the count of legitimate red card sign ups.

You can. I say this as someone who has done it myself

as for not letting your family go through your actual lane just to check out, I can see why, but I don't see why it's 100% not allowed store-wide. A cashier and the cashier's parents should be able to know they need to keep the pace going and can't take extra time talking.

I don't think the concern is socializing. The concern is marking down prices to their benefit

You can. I say this as someone who has done it myself
I don't think the concern is socializing. The concern is marking down prices to their benefit

Oh yeah that's definitely a reason why perhaps. I might ask my GSTLs next time on their personal opinions or our store rules on it, I've never heard anything about it in the 2 years I've worked here so we'll see.

The trick is to not let anyone know you're related... ;) and even moreseo when applying for the RC... my parents don't want red cards anyways just like the rest of my area because I haven't gotten a single RC in months, so I don't really have to worry. (I'm semi-joking about what I just said before my parents not wanting a RC.)

When someone signs up for a redcard does it show their first and last name? If that's the case then you really couldn't get away with them not knowing you're related and they just went through your line.

When someone signs up for a redcard does it show their first and last name? If that's the case then you really couldn't get away with them not knowing you're related and they just went through your line.

More than likely. I'm not sure if it flags AP at all if last names match or addresses match at all. I'm not even sure the store would be able to get access to that kind of info honestly. I can't speak for anyone because I'm just a cashier of two years, but perhaps someone else in this thread knows or will come along.

You can sign up your family. Just maybe space them out especially if you haven't gotten RCs yet. If you suddenly get like 2 in a shift, then expectations change and they might think you can produce on a daily basis.

In my store if you let the GSTL know you talked to them and sold them on the red card, you will get credit and not the cashier that signed them up.

In my store if you let the GSTL know you talked to them and sold them on the red card, you will get credit and not the cashier that signed them up.

The computer automatically assigns the card to the ringing cashier.

I have family and friends come through my line all the time, how would they know/ stop me lol
Just be careful. As others have said it's discouraged for AP reasons. I'd argue that even you don't know how you'd react if one of those friends or family members asks for a discount/free stuff.

If they want a discount, they can work for me while I lounge, drink coffee, and watch Supernatural.

Just be careful. As others have said it's discouraged for AP reasons. I'd argue that even you don't know how you'd react if one of those friends or family members asks for a discount/free stuff.
If i would be stupid enough to give people discounts/ "forget" to scan things on purpose then I deserve to be fired lol

It's sad that Target creates this much pressure for cashiers over red card sign ups.

It's sad that Target creates this much pressure for cashiers over red card sign ups.

My ETL be doesn't even care anymore. We keep missing goal and yet our goal keeps rising.

They make the threats because they can't actually do anything

i feel like target has moved on from pushing Redcards and have focused more on guest experience and surveys. As a cashier and as a guest, I would rather have the focus be on making sure that the guest gets a pleasant experience, where the cashier is friendly, and processes their transaction quickly and accurately, and not have to listen to a fake and unenthusiastic credit card sales pitch every time they check out. Fortunately, my current ETL-GE believes in this, and in the 4 months I've been working for Spot as a cashier, I only have 3 Redcards and have never been talked to about it. I rarely push them anymore since 95% of the time, the guest already has one or they never want one.

i feel like target has moved on from pushing Redcards and have focused more on guest experience and surveys. As a cashier and as a guest, I would rather have the focus be on making sure that the guest gets a pleasant experience, where the cashier is friendly, and processes their transaction quickly and accurately, and not have to listen to a fake and unenthusiastic credit card sales pitch every time they check out. Fortunately, my current ETL-GE believes in this, and in the 4 months I've been working for Spot as a cashier, I only have 3 Redcards and have never been talked to about it. I rarely push them anymore since 95% of the time, the guest already has one or they never want one.
That clearly hasn't caught on yet at the OPs store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back