Archived Is Spot using me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm seasonal--been at my store for almost 4 weeks. I said in my interview that I'm wide open and can work whenever.

Fast forward to now.

Now that we are starting to close later (now it's 1am Mon-Saturday), all I'm doing is closing. Almost every single shift. This happened at my last job and I know they were using me because no one else liked to close. I'm starting to wonder if this is happening again.

I'm not complaining, I'm getting amazing hours. However when I see 430-1am almost every day this week AND next week, I wonder what's going on.

Thoughts?

I'm Seasonal too (Softlines SF) and all my shifts are closing... I LOVE it. Our store closes at Midnight though & it's dead after 8-9.

There may not be a lot of regular TMs with availability that late.

And a store that's open until 1am this month must be pretty high volume, meaning lots of TMs and lots of seasonals.

Just talk to your TL/ETL/HR and ask them if it's possible to give you some day shifts as well. Maybe they think you love closing because you do a good job and haven't give them a reason to think otherwise.

Honestly I don't think I'm that great of a closer. I've zoned before but it was in a grocery store. Zoning at Spot is a little different. I'm HL so it a little similar but when I'm the only one zoning Red and can only get through toys and not to domestics, that's where I fall short. I failed zoning SL. It was hilarious.

But anyways, I'd hate to complain because I get great hours. I'm almost hitting 40 (I'm AT 40 this week) and I didn't expect that.

Not really sure what you mean by 'using you'.

They hired you, what they want is to whatever is best for the company. You're an asset, as are all the other employees (in theory). The purpose of having an asset is to use it.

If you're happy with the hours you're getting I don't really see what there is to be upset about.

Kinda hard to explain. I rarely work a day shift and I know of TMs in HL who have open availability and never close. At a previous job I actually asked about why I only closed when on the days I worked I had an open schedule--it was because I was one of the few that didn't bitch about closing. I was an asset to the closing team. Not so sure about Target though.

SFSFun had a great theory and I'm just going to stick with that.

Kinda hard to explain. I rarely work a day shift and I know of TMs in HL who have open availability and never close. At a previous job I actually asked about why I only closed when on the days I worked I had an open schedule--it was because I was one of the few that didn't bitch about closing. I was an asset to the closing team. Not so sure about Target though.

SFSFun had a great theory and I'm just going to stick with that.

Mines the same way pretty much open but they give me mainly closing shifts. A few mid day ones here and there. You can always ask if you can have a few non closing shifts or something

I'm trying to lay low because I'm seasonal. One of the LODs complimented me about my ability to get my pulls done pretty quick the other day. My friend and I were pulled off the floor for that reason to cashier because of a visit from higher ups. I wasn't expecting that at all and it was pretty neat. I was zoning Red solo last week and the LOD kept walking by and complimenting me. Granted I was in toys the whole time and never got to domestics and didn't do sporting goods, but still.

It just gets to me that I spend so much time in toys and never get to domestics.

It just gets to me that I spend so much time in toys and never get to domestics.
Did you ever think about zoning domestics first? We have some flexibility to choose the order of where we flex since we're all given several locations. I find it keeps me sane to switch things up from time to time.

I'm always told to start in sporting goods and go that way. I've never made it to domestics because toys is ALWAYS a hot mess.

I'm seasonal too and have told them several times they keep messing up my schedule (long story). If they decide not to hire me on because of that that's fine. I get alot of pulls done, always help in other areas, never late, always show up, have covered shifts etc so if mentioning a concern or asking a question out of curiosity keeps me from getting hired then that's laughable

So I'm seasonal--been at my store for almost 4 weeks. I said in my interview that I'm wide open and can work whenever.

Fast forward to now.

Now that we are starting to close later (now it's 1am Mon-Saturday), all I'm doing is closing. Almost every single shift. This happened at my last job and I know they were using me because no one else liked to close. I'm starting to wonder if this is happening again.

I'm not complaining, I'm getting amazing hours. However when I see 430-1am almost every day this week AND next week, I wonder what's going on.

Thoughts?

You're new. Not only are you new, but you're seasonal. They're not going to give you all the good shifts. And what do you mean by "are they using you?" Yes? They're using you to get tasks done in the exchange for money. Definition of a job. Some people love closing. I for example, prefer it. So it's not like closing is even seen as "bad." It's better your schedule is consistent, rather than closing one night, and then opening the next day. If they start giving you nothing but "clopening" shifts....then maybe I'd be ticked off.

You're new. Not only are you new, but you're seasonal. They're not going to give you all the good shifts. And what do you mean by "are they using you?" Yes? They're using you to get tasks done in the exchange for money. Definition of a job. Some people love closing. I for example, prefer it. So it's not like closing is even seen as "bad." It's better your schedule is consistent, rather than closing one night, and then opening the next day. If they start giving you nothing but "clopening" shifts....then maybe I'd be ticked off.
exactly! I HATED "Clopening"! it was miserable.

I wouldn't say they're "using you". They decided that they want you to close, so you're closing.

Also, I'm jealous of all ya'll getting compliments. I haven't received a single one. I honestly don't know where I stand with them. They love throwing me on the register, but that's about all I know.

You have a pretty set schedule. Enjoy it. If they keep you, your hours will probably be all over the place. Clopens suck big time.

Most seasonals (myself included) have a pretty wide open schedule when they first start. After you make it on as a regular employee, go ahead and close up your availability a bit. Everyone gets hours cut mid to late January. When this happens take the opportunity to adjust your availability. You should probably keep at least 2-3 nights open until close everything else can be changed to something you think is more reasonable. Assume they will keep you until close on days you have it on your availability.

the WORST clopening shift I ever had was when the store closed at 11pm and I had to be in at 6am to do the Cash office! ugh....

the WORST clopening shift I ever had was when the store closed at 11pm and I had to be in at 6am to do the Cash office! ugh....

Our store closes at midnight. Worst I've had, is actually a night a couple of weeks ago where I was the closing GSA on a Saturday night, and Hardlines was completely fucked. There were still 10 pulls on the line at 9pm, no one had even started to zone or do go-backs. I was there until 2:30am helping out, since the closing LOD begged, and she's not someone who you can easily say no to. I had to be back in the store at 7 am the next morning to set up the ad board :/

Our store closes at midnight. Worst I've had, is actually a night a couple of weeks ago where I was the closing GSA on a Saturday night, and Hardlines was completely fucked. There were still 10 pulls on the line at 9pm, no one had even started to zone or do go-backs. I was there until 2:30am helping out, since the closing LOD begged, and she's not someone who you can easily say no to. I had to be back in the store at 7 am the next morning to set up the ad board :/
Ok you beat me! THAT Clopening shift is even worse!

I probably have the worse clopening possible close electronics at 11pm since our normal closing hours are 11pm then be back in to help assist with the truck push at 345am. That's what I was scheduled as in the system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back