Is there a company policy that every Target store must have a cart pusher for safety procedures and PPE (Personal Protective Equipment)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeaceLuvDuh24

☮️❤️😏🏪
You see I’ve just spoken to my ETL and my SD, but I still haven’t talked to my PML that it wouldn’t be a bother we could have a cart pusher, but they said the same thing they can’t afford it this time and that our store doesn’t need one (which is completely wrong) but we do need one. Specially for the weekends, holidays and hot sunny days. Pushing carts with no cart pusher has become exhausting for us, and I in particular, get emotionally drained out.

Last edited:
If I die of a heatstroke and it will be all over the news, maybe it will make the company establish a new safety system that will make the stores swallow their prices and have a cart pusher as an emergency kit or a backup equipment, you know?
Now that's just extremely overdramatic. It is getting warm in some parts of the country but if your store doesn't already have a cart pusher then I can't imagine that it's a very big store. Therefore, there likely isn't a need for one. I'm a bit confused on your fixation with a cart pusher but hey, you do you

Now that's just extremely overdramatic. It is getting warm in some parts of the country but if your store doesn't already have a cart pusher then I can't imagine that it's a very big store. Therefore, there likely isn't a need for one. I'm a bit confused on your fixation with a cart pusher but hey, you do you
I think having a cart pusher would make things easier and efficient. If you think I really have a fixation about it, I think it’s been influenced by my dull SD’s 🥱 lack of consideration and compassion and by my diabolical ETL’s 😈 show-off, hypocrisy and narcissism, that made me wanting for a cart pusher. So, I’m just giving you an honest and good reason on why I believe my store needs a cart pusher, it’s not bad or “extremely overdramatic” as you call it, it’s just a conscious, considerate and compassionate favor that isn’t too much to ask. Since when was being conscious, considerate and compassionate a crime? If you think I’m being dramatic, maybe I have been, it may be because of the temperature outside, it’s over 96 degrees, but think about this for awhile before you reply.

Last edited:
Now that's just extremely overdramatic. It is getting warm in some parts of the country

you can’t call someone overdramatic for worrying about heatstroke and then say it’s “getting warm” in some parts of the country when “some” parts of the country with large urban populations are seeing record setting heatwaves both in terms of overall temps and longevity of the high temperatures

don’t be foolish, be educated

you can’t call someone overdramatic for worrying about heatstroke and then say it’s “getting warm” in some parts of the country when “some” parts of the country with large urban populations are seeing record setting heatwaves both in terms of overall temps and longevity of the high temperatures

Yeah! 🙌🏼

Well, I think it is an efficient requirement if you ask me. Plus, the weather is so hot 🥵 outside that it slows me down and makes work harder and harder, that it keeps inside too long to cool down. Then right after, I cool off, I have to bring a series of carts, and so on, and so on. If I die of a heatstroke and it will be all over the news, maybe it will make the company establish a new safety system that will make the stores swallow their prices and have a cart pusher as an emergency kit or a backup equipment, you know?
No negative feedback, please.
I’m with you on the heat I work drive up in a state that has both heat and high humidity. ItS miserable!! Are you the only cart attendant? If not maybe ask other cart attendants for tips or advice. Ask front end leaders if you can have breaks from the heat maybe cashier for a bit, cover breaks or lunches.

I'm not saying the heat stroke part is overdramatic because it isn't; unfortunately it is a very real concern. Do not lump me in with climate change deniers because I am not one of them 🤦‍♂️ what IS overdramatic is saying that not getting a cart pusher will make OP die.

I think having a cart pusher would make things easier and efficient. If you think I really have a fixation about it, I think it’s been influenced by my dull SD’s 🥱 lack of consideration and compassion and by my diabolical ETL’s 😈 show-off, hypocrisy and narcissism, that made me wanting for a cart pusher. So, I’m just giving you an honest and good reason on why I believe my store needs a cart pusher, it’s not bad or “extremely overdramatic” as you call it, it’s just a conscious, considerate and compassionate favor that isn’t too much to ask. Since when was being conscious, considerate and compassionate a crime? If you think I’m being dramatic, maybe I have been, it may be because of the temperature outside, it’s over 96 degrees, but think about this for awhile before you reply.
I feel like the larger issue than the cart pusher is the fact that your ETL and SD are not concerned about your safety. Are they not letting you cool off for a few minutes inside or letting you drink a whole lot of water?

I do agree that a cart pusher should be available but if your store isn’t able to get one, not sure what else you could do besides voice your concerns. If you’re not enjoying your role, it’s totally okay for you to get with your leaders or ETL HR and see if there is a role that better suites you :)

I feel like the larger issue than the cart pusher is the fact that your ETL and SD are not concerned about your safety. Are they not letting you cool off for a few minutes inside or letting you drink a whole lot of water?
They are letting me cool off for a few minutes and I am drinking lots of water, but the problem is: I push a line of 6 to 7 carts, 3 to 4 times before I stay inside to cool off. And then, when time’s up, there are 3 to 2 lines of carts in the front and I have to do the same thing again.

I do agree that a cart pusher should be available but if your store isn’t able to get one, not sure what else you could do besides voice your concerns. If you’re not enjoying your role, it’s totally okay for you to get with your leaders or ETL HR and see if there is a role that better suites you :)
Well, I can always get a job transfer to another Target store that has a cart pusher. That would be my second choice.

How many carts are you supposed to have for your prototype, and how many do you actually have? Your ETL can tell you how many you’re supposed to have, your PML might remember, and they also might remember the actual amount you had for the last time they had to submit a carts/handbaskets survey.

What’s your average transaction count per day? And the big one: is your store scheduling appropriate coverage for front of store attendant based on plan payroll, and do you have enough trained dedicated front of store attendants who are working productively? If the answer to either of these is no, there’s no way you’ll get a cart pusher. If the answer is yes, can you demonstrate an impact to the guests experience due to the issue (NPS scores and specific feedback on surveys) or due to resources being put into getting carts instead of helping guests?

Big picture, it’s not an expensive asset, Target’s cost per unit is $2,956. Overall resources if one was added include payroll for TM training and certification on it, and it would be an additional asset for PM to maintain as well. An asset under $5,000 would be a store expense, my suggestion would be for the SD to talk to the PMBP about getting a cart pusher ordered IF you meet all of the above conditions.

Not sure how relevant it is to this but at my first store we switched to the bigger plastic carts years ago. At that time we got rid of the cart pusher machine and were told it did not fit the bigger carts. Luckily the full plastic carts are lighter and even a person that is not that strong could push in 6 easily. Now at my 2nd store that is a bit smaller they still have the metal carts and a cart pusher machine. The first time I had to help push carts in (without the machine) it took a while to get used to the weight difference. I see some people on here saying the plastic carts are not easy, true a machine would help. If you compare trying to push 10 plastic carts to 10 metal/plastic you will see the difference. Only complaint might be the plastic carts are wider so do not turn as easy.

They are letting me cool off for a few minutes and I am drinking lots of water, but the problem is: I push a line of 6 to 7 carts, 3 to 4 times before I stay inside to cool off. And then, when time’s up, there are 3 to 2 lines of carts in the front and I have to do the same thing again.
Is your management harping on you for staying inside to cool off? Other than them not buying you a pusher, I didn't read anything else negative.

Going in and out to get carts all day is your job... so perhaps cart attendant isn't for you. Tbh it sounds to me like you're just bored with it

Is your management harping on you for staying inside to cool off? Other than them not buying you a pusher, I didn't read anything else negative.

Going in and out to get carts all day is your job... so perhaps cart attendant isn't for you. Tbh it sounds to me like you're just bored with it
Perhaps I am a little bored and no they hardly harp on me to stay inside to cool off, only to drink water and stay cool. But I already talked to my PML and he agrees that we do need a cart pusher. So, perhaps he will convince our SD and ETL about getting us a cart pusher.

Last edited:
wait do have this cart?
Yes. And they’re heavier than the metal/plastic ones. Plus this is the type of carts that feels lighter than the full plastic ones.

Attachments

• IMG_8141.jpeg
    IMG_8141.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
How many carts are you supposed to have for your prototype, and how many do you actually have? Your ETL can tell you how many you’re supposed to have, your PML might remember, and they also might remember the actual amount you had for the last time they had to submit a carts/handbaskets survey.

What’s your average transaction count per day? And the big one: is your store scheduling appropriate coverage for front of store attendant based on plan payroll, and do you have enough trained dedicated front of store attendants who are working productively? If the answer to either of these is no, there’s no way you’ll get a cart pusher. If the answer is yes, can you demonstrate an impact to the guests experience due to the issue (NPS scores and specific feedback on surveys) or due to resources being put into getting carts instead of helping guests?

Big picture, it’s not an expensive asset, Target’s cost per unit is $2,956. Overall resources if one was added include payroll for TM training and certification on it, and it would be an additional asset for PM to maintain as well. An asset under $5,000 would be a store expense, my suggestion would be for the SD to talk to the PMBP about getting a cart pusher ordered IF you meet all of the above conditions.
What is a PMBP?

Not sure how relevant it is to this but at my first store we switched to the bigger plastic carts years ago. At that time we got rid of the cart pusher machine and were told it did not fit the bigger carts. Luckily the full plastic carts are lighter and even a person that is not that strong could push in 6 easily. Now at my 2nd store that is a bit smaller they still have the metal carts and a cart pusher machine. The first time I had to help push carts in (without the machine) it took a while to get used to the weight difference. I see some people on here saying the plastic carts are not easy, true a machine would help. If you compare trying to push 10 plastic carts to 10 metal/plastic you will see the difference. Only complaint might be the plastic carts are wider so do not turn as easy.
Oh, I did pushed more than 10 plastic/metal carts at the other Target while I was shopping there, and it did feel different. But imagine if I push plastic/metal carts at work, it would make work lighter and easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back