Archived Is this a tactic target managers use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lolipoppop

Hello all, in my previous post I explained why I want to quit (hours cut) but something dawned on me, Friday my manager brought me into the office and coached me because she said I don’t “greet customers in time” and when I questioned her as to why I wasn’t on the schedule she said it was because the system was malfunctioning keep in mind as of now I’m still not on the schedule for next week at all even on the paper my name wasn’t even there, but tomorrow I’m only scheduled for Monday, I have a feeling they’re planning to coach me again to have a reason to fire me, is this a tactic target uses to get rid of employees they don’t need ? I’m going to get there early to quit before they even get the chance to fire me if this is what’s going on

Maybe. But greeting guests is a huge focus right now so getting talked to about it isn't too surprising. Don't preemptively quit on them, it won't do you any good. Put in for your 2 weeks and leave in a professional manner. It keeps you rehireable and it's the right thing to do in any job.

As for the schedule, if you want to stay talk with hr about what's going on and ask how you can get more hours. Look for shifts to cover. I've learned in my time at T that unless you speak up stuff doesn't get noticed.

As HR, I want to say that is a tactic they can use, but they’re usually not so obvious about it. For example, with seasonals we were going to let go, we gave them fake shifts on the schedule so they wouldn’t suspect. It’s possible your TLs just don’t care to be obvious.

On the flip side, it could’ve been a miss. I know that when I’ve had a lot to focus on scheduling, I’ve accidentally forgotten to schedule a TM, and didn’t notice it until they mentioned it.

As HR, I want to say that is a tactic they can use, but they’re usually not so obvious about it. For example, with seasonals we were going to let go, we gave them fake shifts on the schedule so they wouldn’t suspect. It’s possible your TLs just don’t care to be obvious.

On the flip side, it could’ve been a miss. I know that when I’ve had a lot to focus on scheduling, I’ve accidentally forgotten to schedule a TM, and didn’t notice it until they mentioned it.
Thanks for being so honest. I always thought this

I've wondered though is that true if they document the reasons they fired you?

It depends on the state. Some reasons you can be fired for don't disqualify you for unemployment, but it depends on the locale.

They also have a burden of proof to deny benefits that not every store adheres to well or at all. For example, a manager could tell you to never come back ... but if they don't follow certain procedures that are state depdndant, you could still collect.

Then there is the chance they will fail to respond at all.

Wait, what? this doesn't mean you purposefully scheduled them, only to have them come in, and then ask them to leave? does it?

Wait, what? this doesn't mean you purposefully scheduled them, only to have them come in, and then ask them to leave? does it?

Once you decide to fire someone, you still have to pay them for the time you spend firing them. So most places schedule you a shift and let you go at the beginning of the shift right after you punch in. You also don’t usually want them job abandoning when they realize the end is near because the company spends money every single day you are employed, even if you aren’t working.

I got coached on Friday for the first time, I brought up to my manager that I couldn’t see my schedule for next week online and she said it was a malfunction, but after my shift I checked the wall schedule and my name wasn’t there at all, my manager didn’t fire me just coached me and tomorrow I have a shift, could I be getting fired tomorrow ? (the supervisor makes the schedules at my target) Just trying to see if anyone else thinks so or I’m overthinking, I’m still in my 90 days by the way, never been late nor called out I work for Tarbucks

I got coached on Friday for the first time, I brought up to my manager that I couldn’t see my schedule for next week online and she said it was a malfunction, but after my shift I checked the wall schedule and my name wasn’t there at all, my manager didn’t fire me just coached me and tomorrow I have a shift, could I be getting fired tomorrow ? (the supervisor makes the schedules at my target) Just trying to see if anyone else thinks so or I’m overthinking, I’m still in my 90 days by the way, never been late nor called out I work for Tarbucks

Weren't you quitting 4 threads ago? Quit starting new threads. If you think your being paranoid, chances are pretty good. At this point I'd just find as another job. Go fly a kite and quit trolling this site.

Last edited:

Always hated that non confrontational shit, i rather and did just tell people straight up if we weren't going to keep them and when to expect it. Same with interviews, if i don't see it going anywhere cut it short tell them they won't be getting the job then ask if they would like some advice on what i perceived they did wrong. Dangling people along just seems crappy to me so i never practiced it. Treat people like adults and people and it does wonders for how they interact with you, most of the time.

I gave a talk to every team member letting them know seasonal was ending and when. While I doubled up on people we could extend I had all but one TM show up for their shifts till the end.

We even had some come back and reapply now.

So I merged a thread that was part of this same story.
You are always going to do better if you keep things consolidated.

Now as to the sharp tongued amoungst us.
I don't care if you want to be brutally honest with people, some of them really need it.
Sometimes though you might want to consider your own early days and how a little kindness might have gone a long way.

So I merged a thread that was part of this same story.
You are always going to do better if you keep things consolidated.

Now as to the sharp tongued amoungst us.
I don't care if you want to be brutally honest with people, some of them really need it.
Sometimes though you might want to consider your own early days and how a little kindness might have gone a long way.

I'm extremely nice until otherwise noted ;)

If you’re still in your 90 days there is a pretty good chance they would just let you go as not being the right fit for the store. In my experience though if you’re going to fire someone you want to be as respectful and inconspicuous as possible, meaning you won’t take them completely off the schedule. You would, however, make them unnecessary overlapping coverage so that when you do fire them you’re not screwed over on coverage. I would just work your shift today and then ask for hours there’s nothing else you can really do. If they’re going to term you they’re just going to do it.

No! Sorry, I definitely didn’t word that correctly. They were informed before that shift. Those fake shifts were given in the event we couldn’t speak to them before the schedule was posted. Because when the schedule came out on Thursday, if they saw they weren’t on it, it caused problems. Then they were deleted once the Tm was notified. In most cases, the TM still had anywhere from 1-2 weeks notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back