Is this Real Life? (A Market vent thread)

@commiecorvus Ha FIFO? We can't even pull the stuff because we ran out of metro racking to backstock. It's just sitting there on pallets, not backstocked so it's not pulled in CAFs. If we notice an out we try to through the piles and find the product. The problem made itself worse this way as hardly anything was getting worked to the floor.

It's starting to clear up a little bit now (these pictures were from a week or two ago), now that lots of it went on clearance. It was caused by my store being in the midst of changing food distribution centers, going through transitions in market, and changing from having a 4 person FDC team work it on the day its received to 2 people of flow working on it the day after it's received.

You have it so good.. you have coolers you can back feed.. We have none at my store.. I had no idea other targets did until one of our vendors told us.

This has become more and more frequent the past couple weeks: Coming into work on a truck day and having the freezer/dairy cooler look like this before either truck arrives. ugh

http://i.imgur.com/CAp5dH9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/CJPPePO.jpg

Wanna borrow my ETL-Log? He would never let our store get that backed up, even if he has to stay into the afternoon (he's overnight) to work all of that product himself because there aren't hours for anyone else to do it.

When I left last night, we were almost completely out of eggs. Between Tuesday & last night we sold through an entire pallet stacked about 6 and a half feet high of large dozen eggs. No idea if we are getting more in today or not.

@TargetGuy looks like you will be using your TPC skills very soon. Sorry that stuff is not on the floor for the $10.00 off of $50.oo grocery.

This has become more and more frequent the past couple weeks: Coming into work on a truck day and having the freezer/dairy cooler look like this before either truck arrives. ugh

http://i.imgur.com/CAp5dH9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/CJPPePO.jpg
Thankfully my coolers/freezer hasn't gotten this bad before. It's always a priority to make sure the coolers and freezer are pretty much all backstocked before the next truck. The next few weeks will be tricky...transitioning to a new FDC facility and taking more trucks some weeks.

Anyone have more details on the upcoming changes to the P-fresh area? I feel like every aisle is MPG right now. We started getting some new frozen stuff in yesterday, but hearing there will be Simply Balanced lunchmeat & more grab & go options. Anyone else hear anything?

The transition packet is online and should be in store as of a week or two ago. More gluten free options, getting rid of a lot of the specialty cheeses. No hillshire farms lunch meat, more produce is prepackaged meaning less bulk (peppers for sure), juice is supposed to flip to the lead in, we will no longer order any fixed weight meat

Yeah I briefly flipped through the packet on my TLs desk, but they just haven't said much about it. So glad to see the specialty cheese go. Not sure how I feel about ordering even less meat...we barely get enough of some of the meat that we don't order as it is. Ugh.

after this years inventory there is a milk shortage of $ 32,000 ... all due to starbucks. They just take all our milk and nothing is either qmos'd or requisitoned out. Now, they are only allowed to take Market Pantry gallons: (Whole, 2%, and Skim) alonf with (Dean's half/half and Heavy whipping cream), nothing else. Still not sure how they are going to mark what they take out of stock.

How does your Starbucks mark their milk out of stock when they take it from the shelves ??

oh, we also had a shortage in Coke, not sure what on that. But, I assume the vendor could have over estimated on the amount they actually gave us.

Does anyone ever buy the specialty cheeses? In 3+ years of cashing, I don't recall ever selling one to a guest.

The more "common" specialty cheeses do sell sometimes, i.e. the fresh mozzarella and brie, along with the blue cheese crumbles. The more uncommon stuff like the Jarlsberg or Dubliner I pretty much never see any move though. I don't think people are really expecting p-fresh stores to have specialty cheeses so they're not looking, and there's not much effort put into advertising the fact that they're available. Kind of aggravating to have them in the p-fresh valley and have the sour cream and cottage cheese shuffled off to the backside of the same cooler on the bottom rack where it causes constant guest questions.

Does anyone ever buy the specialty cheeses? In 3+ years of cashing, I don't recall ever selling one to a guest.

I don't know about the other stores but at ours the little upstep circle they put them on was the worst way in the world to display them too.
If you want to display expensive items don't make them impossible to see.

after this years inventory there is a milk shortage of $ 32,000 ... all due to starbucks. They just take all our milk and nothing is either qmos'd or requisitoned out. Now, they are only allowed to take Market Pantry gallons: (Whole, 2%, and Skim) alonf with (Dean's half/half and Heavy whipping cream), nothing else. Still not sure how they are going to mark what they take out of stock.

How does your Starbucks mark their milk out of stock when they take it from the shelves ??

oh, we also had a shortage in Coke, not sure what on that. But, I assume the vendor could have over estimated on the amount they actually gave us.
My store has the same issue with milk, not sure how to fix it. I know one of our PAs will often tell starbucks to take Dean's because it expires sooner, so that could be part of it. But there definitely needs to be a way for them to keep track so we can mark it out.

That's my freezer and/or coolers about once every week or two. And not one exec cares. Flow and Backroom must leave on time, leftover push and backstock be damned!

I'm a little apprehensive about this weekend because we have a truck Friday night and one Saturday, and since a Saturday morning truck never gets fully pushed...I have no idea where we're going to put a whole other truck.

We also have 14 pallets of Easter sitting above the line. So there's that.
That is one thing that my ETL team that has been here the last 1-2 years has been great it. We ALWAYS have ALL seasonal pallets pushed out and flexed as soon as possible

My store has the same issue with milk, not sure how to fix it. I know one of our PAs will often tell starbucks to take Dean's because it expires sooner, so that could be part of it. But there definitely needs to be a way for them to keep track so we can mark it out.

I think I remember reading that Starbucks should ONLY take the MP stuff since that is what they mark down on their sheet. I am not sure what they have to do on their end but I used to hand them our more expensive Brand if it was expiring but I quit doing that after I read the milk best practices and what Starbucks does for milk requisition. It should be on workbench somewhere.

I think I remember reading that Starbucks should ONLY take the MP stuff since that is what they mark down on their sheet. I am not sure what they have to do on their end but I used to hand them our more expensive Brand if it was expiring but I quit doing that after I read the milk best practices and what Starbucks does for milk requisition. It should be on workbench somewhere.

We have a huge milk shortage issue at my store too. Starbucks just takes their milk (Market Pantry gallons and local brand for Half and Half/Whipping Cream) and I don't know that they QMOS it out at all. I have no idea what the best practice is at all and it seems like the Starbucks team doesn't know or care. Yippee shortage! :-|

We have a huge milk shortage issue at my store too. Starbucks just takes their milk (Market Pantry gallons and local brand for Half and Half/Whipping Cream) and I don't know that they QMOS it out at all. I have no idea what the best practice is at all and it seems like the Starbucks team doesn't know or care. Yippee shortage! :-|

Per Best Practice Starbucks is only to take MP milk because they have an agreement with the vendor regarding accounting practices for MP milk.

From what I remember, it actually doesn't need to be QMOS'd out due to the fact that the store pays a certain percentage of their Starbucks sales for any milk-based product they sell at the POS to the Milk Vendor, and its accounted for in the sales accumulator for our specific store brand. Hence why they're not supposed to use alternative brands which would instead show up as shortage.

Source; ETL-Food

Best practice is Starbucks is only supposed to take only market pantry whole, 2%, half and half, and heavy whipping cream. They have a formula based on sales. The system recently changed it used to be based off what the rep thought you needed. Now its all based on sales if your not selling it or having the driver picking it up on time for them to processed it you will be shorted. Starbucks on the other hand it sounds crazy but they are supposed to be using a certain amount of oz per drink. The formula from what I gather is something like this "1 drink requires x amount of ounces / 1box or crate of milk has x amount of ounces X sales ".

Also the rep is supposed to keep an eye on the inventory weekly to see if there are issues and then once a month due a complete inventory.

My fellow pa's this Saturdays truck is huge biggest to date and very few team members. Here is the breakdown only 3 flow team members to push the 1780 piece truck that is a little more than 18 pallets. Frozen around 450 and produce about 480 .. Wait for it fresh is a little over 900. So whatever is left on Monday we will have to smart huddle. Do your best I'm off and wish I could be there to help out.

Last edited:
My fellow pa's this Saturdays truck is huge biggest to date and very few team members. Here is the breakdown only 3 flow team members to push the 1780 piece truck that is a little more than 18 pallets. Frozen around 450 and produce about 480 .. Wait for it fresh is a little over 900. So whatever is left on Monday we will have to smart huddle. Do your best I'm off and wish I could be there to help out.

Oh my god. Why is your truck so massive? That is big as a small GM truck.

Back