Archived It's time to play... guess what's wrong with this repack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whippingboy

Produce Peon
Oh, I love getting repacks. It's like Christmas. Bonus points if you can tell by my crappy phone what this repack is sitting on. Nice pallet, guys.

repack.jpg

Also... Isn't a food safety violation to have food in repack boxes?
Our store gets a combo repack with spices and some pudding pouch things. But not all spices, the rest come in with pick labels.

Do I see vegi packs in there too?
Man that is food poisoning just waiting to happen.

Haha yes.. meat, produce and dairy all-in-one. Sitting on a case of mushrooms.
I don't see cross contamination - nothing is raw. Some stores keep ready-to-eat meats and dairy in the same cooler or ready-to-eat meats and produce together. If this is in the dairy cooler, it's good to go. If I remember correctly, dairy was the coldest cooler, maybe raw meat, but I wouldn't want this in the raw meat cooler. If this was sitting out in the BR then it's a no go, but honestly, any cooler is colder and better than a home refrigerator so overall nothing to worry about.

The only people complaining would be vegans or vegetarians since meat/dairy are touching vegetables. But everything there can be eaten as is, no cooking needed.

This is based on my experience having several conversations with the Food BP and shooting the s**t with her about why Target does things and what actual food standards are. Target far exceeds regulation standards to avoid any potential lawsuit involving their Pfresh process.

Food shouldn't be in rrepacks since we have no idea what's been in the repacks before, but other wise there's nothing wrong. Annoying maybe, but at least it's not open stock falling off a green rack lol.

Meat cooler should be coldest. Dairy and produce are the same temp. Well, should be anyway.

Target far exceeds regulation standards to avoid any potential lawsuit involving their Pfresh process.

I have a hard time believing this when our FDC regularly mixes eggs, produce, fresh-cut meat, dairy, or any combination of the four on the same pallet.

@looseseal - Target doesn't own/run the FDC. We rent their services so their standards are not Target's standards. We have a contract with them that focuses more on the logistics process (delivery schedule, driver expectations/duties, ordering, etc). How the FDC maintains food safety is on the FDC, not Target. The FDC services several different companies (Giant, Safeway, Wegmans, Target, etc). I pass the FDC in our area when I visit family in PA - the building is huge and you can see who they service by the trucks in the bays.

Target's food safety is beyond health code expectations. Steritech is a company hired to keep us above these standards. If we fail an inspection that doesn't necessarily mean we fail a health inspection, it just means we are dipping below the standards set by Target. And Target is so serious about these inspections that they spend $$$ on them and will easily hand down punishment (terminations) if this isn't handled to Target standards. They also require all ETLs to take a high level food safety course at the expense of Target.

@looseseal - Target doesn't own/run the FDC. We rent their services so their standards are not Target's standards. We have a contract with them that focuses more on the logistics process (delivery schedule, driver expectations/duties, ordering, etc). How the FDC maintains food safety is on the FDC, not Target. The FDC services several different companies (Giant, Safeway, Wegmans, Target, etc). I pass the FDC in our area when I visit family in PA - the building is huge and you can see who they service by the trucks in the bays.

I figured the reason why Target started setting up its six FDCs was so they could totally own the facilities and processes as opposed to being serviced by a 3rd-party company such as C&S.

I figured the reason why Target started setting up its six FDCs was so they could totally own the facilities and processes as opposed to being serviced by a 3rd-party company such as C&S.

Thanks for sharing this. I didn't know they were transitioning to their own FDCs. My state is still serviced by C&S. I asked a while back why Target didn't maintain their own FDCs and I was told that it costs too much to maintain these types of warehouses. The coolers alone are expensive plus you have to buy temperature controlled trailers. I wonder what changed Target's mind on doing this. They have to be cutting corners somewhere. That's a lot to invest in a process that currently yields -7% company wide. Then again, Target did go into Canada with their eyes closed.

@looseseal - Target doesn't own/run the FDC. We rent their services so their standards are not Target's standards.

Except Target does run the FDCs... They were built specifically for that purpose. C&S isn't Target owned, if that's what you're thinking of. Therefore the FDC standards should meet Target's standards. We have never had nearly the amount the cross-contamination problems with C&S that we have had with our FDC, ironically enough. I don't know if it's just ours, or a company-wide issue, but they're absolutely awful. And even still, common sense should tell you not to put celery on a pallet full of raw chicken...

Target's food safety is beyond health code expectations. Steritech is a company hired to keep us above these standards. If we fail an inspection that doesn't necessarily mean we fail a health inspection, it just means we are dipping below the standards set by Target. And Target is so serious about these inspections that they spend $$$ on them and will easily hand down punishment (terminations) if this isn't handled to Target standards. They also require all ETLs to take a high level food safety course at the expense of Target.

To your defense here : P

There was one FDC that target did rent out but that has since been phased out. (within the last few months). So your only part wrong : D

Thanks for sharing this. I didn't know they were transitioning to their own FDCs. My state is still serviced by C&S. I asked a while back why Target didn't maintain their own FDCs and I was told that it costs too much to maintain these types of warehouses. The coolers alone are expensive plus you have to buy temperature controlled trailers. I wonder what changed Target's mind on doing this. They have to be cutting corners somewhere. That's a lot to invest in a process that currently yields -7% company wide. Then again, Target did go into Canada with their eyes closed.
@looseseal and @trowa03 - the above shows I meant C&S FDC which are still in use here. I was unaware of Target's move towards their own FDC. Sounds like their mistakes could be them cutting corners which is surprising because they put a lot of standards on the stores.

As long as the celery is above the raw chicken, there is no chance of cross contamination...well, very little chance. Although, it'd seem best to just keep meat by itself. My FDC a routinely puts random boxes of fresh lemon or lime juice with fresh meat. Dry/room temp Pizza Hut and Pizza Hut food service stuff (boxes, sauce containers, etc.) always comes on the top of the meat pallet. I've even gotten honey on it several times.

Keep in mind, there are only six Target FDCs. Each one services a lot of stores, but many stores are still serviced by C&S. If there were more FDCs, you know even more corners would be cut.

I'm glad you're here @Mhugh220 to explain what's going on. Now I can tell my coworkers. It makes a lot more sense, thanks!

never had to deal with repacks ( not even really sure what that is) what i do have to deal with is getting pallets full of meat, deli, bakery, and dairy as well as my produce. gets pretty interesting having 4 or 5 full pallets in the produce cooler all at one time trying to break them all down and sort them lol

Yeah instead of having the dc separate them, we have to do it. Just another thing to top off that task list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back