Archived Just ready to give in..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been on the Plano Team since the beginning of February. I thought I was fast enough to be on the team, yet I have gotten pulled aside 2 times already, and being told "you are too slow, you need to get faster at setting POGs". I dont know how to get any faster. When I set a POG, i get everything correct the first time. I have yet to get called back because something is in the wrong spot. Now my coworker (who started the same day as i did) went to school for this stuff, and has gotten called back numerous times because stuff wasn't it was supposed to be. I dont understand why I have been getting called aside numerous times for being too slow (but having stuff in the correct spot) yet he has not been called aside (even though his stuff has been found in the wrong spots, but he is fast enough) (that i know of). Can I just say how seriously frustrated I am with this?! I even brought home a revised POG that i finished hoping i could study it and possibly use it to get faster, but I'm not sure how it will help!! ANY Help, tricks, ideas, will be greatly appreciated, as I am ready to just rip my hair out, out of frustration!!!
Thanks

all the above
we set the pogs, then we go and pull the product and push it before we go and start another POG

I think I'm the best at pulling, I haven't asked for more feedback yet only because I'm honestly afraid of getting told I am too slow. I would like to be on the flow team but I don't know if i can switch before my 90 days probation is up.

Yeah they say at our store it should be one end cap a half hour which is unrealistic on some days with guests constantly asking for help. When I'm on planogram I do the pulling setting and everything as well. I've gotten faster but it's hard some days with guests. Wish we could not wear red and khaki when doing it to avoid that many distractions

The reality is the metrics are the biggest goal. Set, pushed, done. Even if it had to be fixed or is never right. If the pog is tied and the product isn't in the backroom is considered a success. Next time they take you aside ask for ideas to get faster. Do they tell you how long is allotted for the pogs they give you?

Oh I know!! And I was pushing the Easter clearance to the back wall, and I had ! hour to do that and to set the POGs where the candy was. I kinda laughed at first but then I just threw stuff on the back wall. In my head I thought "forget organizing and making this look good, its 70% off. The guests can shuffle through the mess that is back here" and go figure, I actually got the POGs set.. in the time I was given.

Half the time they don't, and the other half of the time I swear to you, it's not possible for it to be done in the allotted time especially when you are in an area with a ton of guests and you have to help them. Not to mention I dont know how to answer the phone and got yelled at by a team member for not answering it and he had to run across the store to answer it himself. I'm sorry but I have never been shown how to answer the phone. Its just crazy, from now on, I swear im not gonna give a flying one about anything but getting my POG set.
Oh and I think I'll pass on asking my TL to do my pulling for me. Ya she claims to want to help me out, yet she is always to busy to help me, when I really need it, and always leaves for the day without letting anyone on the team know. It's honestly just frustrating.

Half the time they don't, and the other half of the time I swear to you, it's not possible for it to be done in the allotted time especially when you are in an area with a ton of guests and you have to help them. Not to mention I dont know how to answer the phone and got yelled at by a team member for not answering it and he had to run across the store to answer it himself. I'm sorry but I have never been shown how to answer the phone. Its just crazy, from now on, I swear im not gonna give a flying one about anything but getting my POG set.
Oh and I think I'll pass on asking my TL to do my pulling for me. Ya she claims to want to help me out, yet she is always to busy to help me, when I really need it, and always leaves for the day without letting anyone on the team know. It's honestly just frustrating.
You will learn to sorry out the things you can control (tie, set) and those you can control less (pull, push). The times given for a pog can be wrong, but it's a starting point. Also, those times DO NOT include time to pull the batch no matter what they tell you. So if you are pulling your own batch and not quite finishing you may not actually be behind.

Thank you everyone for all your advice!!! I'm gonna work on speed vs perfection. I think I'm also going to look for another job... I hate to say it, but I think I need something that my isn't gonna drive the OCD in me insane!

Like Rarejem suggested above, ask your TL for tips on how to set faster.

What part do you think is slowing you down? Are you understanding everything in the planograms? Do you have all the shelves and fixtures you need to avoid excessive trips to the fixture room?

I find that no matter how much you rush to get things done, it won't make you set that much faster. It's about how you prepare and plan it.

Here are some tips if you haven't been taught this already. Some are fairly obvious, but just in case.

- Prepare before you start setting. Get all your labels and strips. Take a good look at your plano and plan your attack, what fixtures do I need? do I need backer paper? will it be easier to set 1 section at a time or all at once? Look at the cover sheet, it gives you info on what fixture you need and how many. If you look at the quantity, it may say +3, that means you need 3 more pegs and the rest that's already on that aisle can be reused)

- Try not to count the holes at first for peg height. Use your measuring tape. Each hole is exactly 1" apart. ex. from base shelf to top hole = 76" and where top and bottom back paper meets, it's always 36" (except endcaps = 34"). You can mark your tape measure to even find the letters, like the pic below.
rLwRlq0.png

- For revisions, you gotta decide what will be quicker. If there's 2-5 pegged items changing, just fix those and leave the rest of the stuff around it. If it's like 10+ pegs, or the old set is all messed up and zone is terrible, it might actually be quicker to take it all down and start from scratch. Don't clean too much unless it's really bad. Dust and move on.

- When doing a whole aisle or multiple sections, try to do a certain tasks all at once. Here's an example of my process.
1. Demerchandise everything. Don't organize it too much, just throw the sucker in a cart/repack box.
2. Remove unnecessary fixtures and add any that's required. Then remove old labels and strips. (you don't want to clean before this step, because why clean a shelf if you end up not using it?)
3. Put up any backer paper.
3. Set all the strips.
4. Adjust shelf height based on what the strips say using a measuring tape, don't look at the planogram for this info.
5. Set the pegs. (try to count based on previous pegs set or pegs around it. ex. if a peg on the left is at 'K', start count from there.
6. Put up all the labels.
7. Clean, having a duster is quick if using liquid solution isn't necessary. Don't go gung ho and try to clean every nook and cranny.
8. Put up any signing or have your signing tm do it.
9. Push the merch that you've took down.
10. Push batch like your momma just gave birth.

Your still fairly new to setting, so you shouldn't beat yourself up. I trained a few new plano tms and usually start off fairly slow, even after a few months. I find they struggle a lot at counting because there's so many pegs and figuring out how new fixtures/or fixtures they've never used before--are suppose to be set. If you have time, try to familiarize with all the different fixture. Once you've gained that experience and find what process work best for you, setting plano should be a lot quicker.

Also, why don't they just have 1 person do all the batch pulling? Seems unproductive the way you guys are doing it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back