Archived late to orientation - rejected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your bad experience with a store is not the gospel with how the store should run.

For the most part my stores leadership is very fair.

I also call B.S. on your store not hiring people because they don't look like they could do the job. Anyone who has been at Target any time knows darn well that a good team member has no specific look , age or profile.

Whether you believe it or not we get a lot of applicants who smile to our face and end up being complete duds. I try to weed through as much as I can. At the end of the day this is a business not a charity case.

When we hire minors at my store we make the expectations very clear you need to grow up. We aren't going to hold your hand just because you're 17

I agree. I’ve had a lot of TMs get hired because they gave great answers in the interview then turn out to be the “worst” employees...show up late, never get their work done, etc.

There is actually a lot that goes on behind the scenes during the hiring and firing process. It is NOT that simple to just hire or get rid of people.

Hiring:

HR spends time recruiting people, screening applications, calling people, coordinating interviews, sending out communication to applicants + interviewers, running the interviews, job offering people, entering their job offer into the computer, having people complete background check forms on the computer, calling people for orientation, running orientation, changing their status to hired by entering data, checking + signing all of the orientation paperwork in hopes that someone didn't mess up on a section, contacting people who couldn't fill out forms properly to have them edit their mistakes, sending copies of all paperwork to corporate via scanning, getting TMs started on their first day, and making sure they complete all of the necessary conputer training + hands-on training.

Imagine doing all of that and then finding out that you need terminate them.

Terminations:

HR has to have TMs fill out a resignation form, scan a copy of it to corporate, notify their leaders, and replace any shifts that are happening after their last available day. Then, we have to complete a termination form on the computer. If you are lucky, your work ends there. Of course, I work in one of the strictest states... :(

What I have to do next is wait for corporate to calculate and send me a voucher (kind of like a receipt for their final pay), go to the registers to cash their final pay, prep the vouchers + receipt for them to sign, complete a state-required form that will also require their signature at the bottom, and contact everyone involved to make sure they know that the final pay is ready for pick up.

Of course, there are those who don't show up on their last day, so I have to keep calling them for 3 days. Then, if they ignore me, I have to pay everything back into the register and complete yet another form to send them a check. And then of course they will show up with no notice after I do all of that and get pissed at me that they are getting a check instead.

After the TM receives their pay, I have to gather all relevant paperwork and file them. Then, I scan a copy of the state required paperwork to corporate. Finally, I also need to manually log every TM (state-required) that we terminated.

Hope this gives people a better idea of the processes.

Last edited:
because they don't look the part

We are trained not to do this

20171028_210442.jpg

so why would you turn someone away during the orientation phase after you've already done half of what's required to hire someone? Seems like it would take a lot more work to find two more people to hire than it would to just fire the first two if they don't fit in.

I would rather just hire once knowing it's a good fit

Firing requires a lot more time and effort. If you hire someone who can stay/last a long time it's not much work at all.

How much more time and effort? I've been led to believe, by many of this very forum, that letting someone go in the first 90 days is cake.

Its easy for the person letting them go. Not easy for HR. Anytime you fire someone you have to cover their shifts. Process their termination and depending on your state give them their pay that very day.

Seems like hiring people takes a lot more work than firing them (if you're lucky), so why would you turn someone away during the orientation phase after you've already done half of what's required to hire someone? Seems like it would take a lot more work to find two more people to hire than it would to just fire the first two if they don't fit in.

There is actually still plenty of work from the beginning of the orientation to the point where TMs can be on their own. My guess is that the kids' HR weighed whether it would be worth it to go through all of that for people who cannot even arrive at orientation on time and decided to cut their losses early. I feel bad for the kids but it is a smart move on their part.

And really, every position is a chore. You think backroom enjoys working the holidays? Physically and mentally demanding work, but we put up with it each year.

I never once said that other positions aren't a chore. I am merely providing information so that everyone can have a better understanding about HR and how it is not that easy. There is a process to everything that we do.

Firing requires a lot more time and effort.

Yes, it definitely does. The term process is a huge pain for me as you know from the description from my previous post. It bums me out a little when TMs job abandon or quit early on (less than 2 months from hire). Same when ETLs tell me to term them. I spent so much time and effort on-boarding them only for them to not make it. At least with hiring, all of your effort leads to something positive (someone joining the team).

How much more time and effort? I've been led to believe, by many of this very forum, that letting someone go in the first 90 days is cake.

Its easy for the person letting them go. Not easy for HR. Anytime you fire someone you have to cover their shifts. Process their termination and depending on your state give them their pay that very day.

Yep, ETLs only need to say that this TM will be let go before their 90 days. HR actually does most of the work.

Last edited:
I have a 12 year old daughter with the same disability, she has an IEP. She is fully aware of her disability (along with her other disability) and has figured out what she needs to do in order to succeed in school. If she is unsure, she will ask the same question a few times until it is clarified, she makes herself notes and she has to put in a lot more effort and determination to be on the same level as her peers. I understand the struggles and difficulties that come with the disability.

As a mom and Target team member I would have asked my kids about orientation. You as a target TM had an orientation at some point and knew that it wasn't a "stop by between then and then thing". When you have kids with a disability, you have to give them a little more guidance sometimes.

I feel bad for the 17 year old, not so much for the 25 year old. This will be a learning experience for them even though they will be very disappointed

I have been saying this for days ......I agree. Where is mom?

Based on that exact wording, the kids should've gotten a second chance. If it weren't for that, I'd give HR a high five for getting rid of people who can't show up on time; Target is way too lenient with attendance sometimes. But with that wording, it's probably unfair.
Having hired people before in other jobs, I disagree. If I am told between 12 and 4, then you show up at 12. Just because you are unfamiliar with a 4 hour orientation doesnt mean they don't exist.

I like my Target. But Target isn't fair. No retail is fair. This world isnt fair. This is sadly a good lesson. Also, I wouldn't have hired both of them at the same location.

I've seen team members that come in late weekly, have multiple no call- no shows and incidents on file and it still took nearly a year to get them fired. Kids show up late to orientation because of misunderstanding a single verbal direction (probably because she has an auditory processing disorder) and they don't get another chance? It's no risk or skin off Target's nose to let them come the next day. She literally has been late once in the last year on her job due to car trouble. Her boss cried tears of joy when she asked to withdraw her two weeks notice. I'm salty.
I know this will sound horrible but if she is legally deaf then I DEFINITELY not hired them together. If she needs assistance that requires a person certified or the correct equipment. One of my favorite people to work for was this woman who transfered in who had cochlear implants. She had this bad habit of staring because she read lips even when she could hear. She said she had such trouble getting jobs before Target because she could hear.

Ask any TL on this website, they don't care if their team looks like the hunchback of Notre Dame if they can service a guest, push a caf, ptm an area, purge the backroom etc.

TLs know ineffective team members mean more work for them.

It's a waste of hours to put someone through orientation who isn't going to last. We have tms desperate for hours that no I'm not going to put through a complete bum just to say we had numbers.
Oh god yes!
If they interviewed with me and passed it, I would have hired them. I just wouldnt have done it together. If bro came first then sis, I would have told sis immediately that I can't hire both of you at the same location and sent her on.

What you look like means nothing. We have in my store, everyone from a muslim woman in all red to a 4 foot guy who does market with a backroom ladder. Race doesnt matter, religion doesnt matter. Level of tats doesnt matter (well forehead tats do but thats not me) Your ability to interact with guests. Your ability to work and be on time does.

If bro came first then sis, I would have told sis immediately that I can't hire both of you at the sam

Unfortunately we can't say they aren't reporting to one another but I get your point.

Race doesnt matter, religion doesnt matter. Level of tats doesnt matter (well forehead tats do but thats not me) Your ability to interact with guests. Your ability to work and be on time does.

Especially at Target. My last store had a cashier with tear drop tattoos. Super quiet humble dude believe it or not

This is the most painful part. We had 3 days with no fitting room because I had to term a seasonal.
So did they do what ours did? Get into a argument and intimidate a guest and her bf over the clothes?

At orientation, what is required?

Red t-shirt?
Khakis?
Comfortable shoes/sneakers?
Two forms of IDs?
Banking info for direct deposit?

Anything else?

At orientation, what is required?

Red t-shirt?
Khakis?
Comfortable shoes/sneakers?
Two forms of IDs?
Banking info for direct deposit?

Anything else?

We specifically tell people not to wear red and khaki so they can do an activity and not be bothered by guest during their training. I would ask HR via email or phone.

TXXXX.hr@target.com (the X's being the store number) will automatically email your stores senior HR

Last edited:
Two forms of IDs?

Since I have seen people mess up on this part before and get turned away at orientation, I want to remind you of a couple of things. If you knew everything already, then great. If not, then I hope this helps you. I don't want you to miss out on orientation.

Firstly, how many documents you bring depends on what option you choose.

If you look at your job offer, you should see a page that tells you which documents are acceptable.

You have two options:
- First Option (one document): choose one item from List A
- Second Option (two documents): choose one item from List B + one item from List C

For the second option, not just any two items will work. You cannot bring two items that belong on the same list. It must be one item chosen from List B and then one item chosen from List C. These will make up the two documents.

Also, remember to check the expiration dates for whatever you choose to bring. Expired documents are not accepted.

Lastly (this last part that I am going to tell you is absolutely not a requirement, just advice), if you just happened to have one item from each list, then bring everything. You never know. If you were planning on doing the first option and HR noticed an issue with it, then you can do the second option. If you were planning on doing the second option and HR noticed an issue with it, then you can do the first option.

Last edited:
My orientation is Friday.

What can I expect to receive in hours for the first couple weeks? Are hours limited until Black Friday?

We are trained not to do this

View attachment 4102

I would rather just hire once knowing it's a good fit

Firing requires a lot more time and effort. If you hire someone who can stay/last a long time it's not much work at all.

Can I point out that "friendliness" is also a teachable skill. Salesmen are a great example of that, they will make you feel you are their new best buddy, when in truth you are just another commission and they are miserable assholes in their daily life.

Salesmen are a great example of that, they will make you feel you are their new best buddy, when in truth you are just another commission and they are miserable assholes in their daily life.

I wish I could agree with that statement. I'm just friendly because I'm friendly lol. Where'd you get cheated out of your money, a car dealership or was it just a bad investment? I do agree, though; trying to sell redcards did make me miserable lol. Or is that not the same thing?

I wish I could agree with that statement. I'm just friendly because I'm friendly lol. Where'd you get cheated out of your money, a car dealership or was it just a bad investment? I do agree, though; trying to sell redcards did make me miserable lol. Or is that not the same thing?

I worked sales support for high pressure sales. We saw the game being played when we did the paperwork part, and we saw what the salesmen were really like when the customers were out of view. And wow, did we ever hear the lies told, and we were the poor unfortunate souls on the phone when customers figured out they were lied to.

I worked sales support for high pressure sales. We saw the game being played when we did the paperwork part, and we saw what the salesmen were really like when the customers were out of view. And wow, did we ever hear the lies told, and we were the poor unfortunate souls on the phone when customers figured out they were lied to.

Oh nice! Never knew that. In all honesty, my mission in my new sales venture is to prove the status quo of salesman wrong... I want good, honest business. In this day and age, people have the whole world at their finger tips. I work at a Volume Based Pay Scale Dealer, so we don't get commission for every car, so any prices the customer might sound reasonable on both ends, we can honor, it won't hurt our personal profit. I guess we still do need to keep dealer profitability in mind, though. I'll be learning all about it this Thursday. Those guys are all scum, they should never lie, in the long run, building a loyalty to you amongst a clientele should be more profitable in the long run than selling a lie to make a quick buck.

My orientation is Friday.

What can I expect to receive in hours for the first couple weeks? Are hours limited until Black Friday?

Asants. Anywhere from 15 to 40 just depends on your store. We are giving our seasonals around 20 and our veterans closer to 40.

I don't think there is any vet under 30 unless they are on flow or want to work less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back