Archived Latest rumor at my store

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I have to say is... 8am holy sh!t that's nuts. I know I'll work this T-day because I did last year, but only worked 8pm to 1am. Even though time and a half is nice, spending T-day with family is better.

We had so few guests around 1 am.

Then your zone and ALL reshop should be PURE GREEEEEENNNN !!!!!

and did I say ALL BACKSTOCK should be STO'd.

this will never happen cause TMs are sooooo lazy these days and will just stand there and say "where did all the people go ? I'm working a Holiday and don't have to do a thing to do." ... lol

What alternate universe do you work in? I am scrambling to fill the empty and destroyed end caps, while cleaning up the random door busters that have been left in places.

At least last year some jackknob didn't block my truck in by double parking.. It didn't end well for that moron.. Cameras? What Cameras. :rolleyes:

I don't even get why we're open til 11 on a daily basis. I mean we're not the only expense they have when the store is open. Waaaaait, I guess switching to solar (we recently did, not sure if it's a company wide thing or what) power saves on the electricity use. Never mind then, haha. I don't really have an argument with that realization.

We're only open till 11 on Saturday, 10 every other day. Used to be 10 every day except 9 on sunday, but they added an extra hour to both weekend days a few months ago.

And solar's definitely not a company wide thing, not yet anyway.

My store's 11pm M-Sat and 10pm on Sundays. Most people don't even know we're open that late. They always start freaking out during the 9 o'clock hour and then I'm all "relax, you have time. We're open til 11" and they're in shock haha. Same on Sundays. I didn't even know target had those crazy hours until my interview. I was all "open availability" when I applied, then got in and she said 11pm and I changed it.

Since I'm in charge of Black Friday plans I have a bit of knowledge on the subject from a ETL standpoint.

1) Yes, that was a idea that was tossed around in a all STL meeting about a month ago. Target (as most of us know) competes with Walmart and generally opens a hour after them. This reduces the blow back from the "family" people who make a huge stink about how we are ruining the holiday. (Personally I don't give a shit, but I hate my family). The idea was that Walmart may be doing a all day event, in the theory that if they do it, the people who want to shop can shop before T-Day dinner. There is multiple issues with the 8AM all day and night idea though.

- Staffing
-- No store has enough staff to do a 38 to 40 hour stint. Well some might, but we are looking at multiple overtimes, multiple split shifts, multiple melt-downs.

- Crowd Control
-- You can open at 8AM thats fine, prepare for utter chaos later though. By opening at 8AM you MAY have a line, but probably wont be as big as say a 9PM line. This causes a issue, because past the first few hours of black friday, people don't want to line up. The shit is torn down. What happens at 9PM when the lines are tore down and everyone is just going crazy in your store? FAMILIES HAVE MADE BLACK FRIDAY A TRADITION I know that my sisters LOVE going out after diner and go shopping and have for years. Other families do it too. "Screw Football" say the women, we are going shopping....they wont say this at 8AM though when they are preparing the Turkey. (sorry I'm looking at statistics, not trying to be sexist)

- Time release product
-- AINT NOBODY coming at midnight to get some TV's that were gone by 8:10AM. Ya dig? You would have to have time release product, which seems really annoying. Your losing out on sales by getting rid of everything by 9:00AM

2) I believe the idea was scrapped except for certain regions which may have been doing a "all day" thing. Most stores were thinking (and this was the big rumor) 5PM for opening. I actually made my TENT plans around 5PM. I can assure you that this really pissed people off, but there is a legit chance of 5 or 6pm.

my mom has always respected the fact I have to work in order to eat and pay bills. some times we eat early / she makes a mean breakfast casserole and I doggy bag the leftovers. but I digress. I think she is glad we don't exchg gifts for Christmas and we avoid that part of the madness

The sign at my store says there is also the time and a half holiday pay for turkey day and shift pay after 10pm for those overniters. I have done it every year. it dies about 4am when the other stores start opening. gives us a chance to clean up and start over. as for huge profits.... many of the items are loss leaders. if not, we are way over priced the rest of the yaer

So how many more weeks until we get some intel? Two more weeks? So sad that Target does that to its employees just so big down corporate can screw them over on Thanksgiving. I think corporate employees should be required to work Thanksgiving and Black Friday. We are a "team" right?

And speaking of casseroles...

Black Friday is a joke. Almost all of the "doorbuster" are available online Thursday morning. The only people that are waiting outside in the lines are the soccer moms with their Starbucks in hand and detailed lists of which barbie and video games their sperm lizards want and the 3 teeth backwoods trash looking for a big TV. Once they get what they want and trash everything in the process they are out the door. The retail world spends millions on security for this day. This is simply fricking nuts. We need to rethink Black Friday. The internet has been here for over a decade. People shop online. But retailers have not changed to keep up with technology. There are stores that have refused to open on Thanksgiving, not so much for their employees family life as they say but because it just isn't as lucrative as it once was. People buy online, wait longer for the best prices that will be available by the second week of December or simply don't spend as much.
Work life balance my ass.
I hate Christmas in retail.

Kohl's is now opening at 6pm on Thursday.

Let it be so..that Target will open at 6pm on Thursday...I kind of wish we opened earlier now at like 3pm so it would ruin all the shoppers Thanksgiving like it does everyone that has to work....Now everyone will start lining up at like 4pm outside the store

So how many more weeks until we get some intel? Two more weeks? So sad that Target does that to its employees just so big down corporate can screw them over on Thanksgiving. I think corporate employees should be required to work Thanksgiving and Black Friday. We are a "team" right?

And speaking of casseroles...

Great Idea...I wish EVERYONE from Corporate would have to work at one of the local Targets in MINN on black friday....but I have a feeling they will be off for like 3 days

Black Friday is a joke. Almost all of the "doorbuster" are available online Thursday morning. The only people that are waiting outside in the lines are the soccer moms with their Starbucks in hand and detailed lists of which barbie and video games their sperm lizards want and the 3 teeth backwoods trash looking for a big TV. Once they get what they want and trash everything in the process they are out the door. The retail world spends millions on security for this day. This is simply fricking nuts. We need to rethink Black Friday. The internet has been here for over a decade. People shop online. But retailers have not changed to keep up with technology. There are stores that have refused to open on Thanksgiving, not so much for their employees family life as they say but because it just isn't as lucrative as it once was. People buy online, wait longer for the best prices that will be available by the second week of December or simply don't spend as much.
Work life balance my ass.
I hate Christmas in retail.

This...This...and more of this please!!!

I have it on good word we are opening at 6 and it will be made public either tomorrow or Tuesday. Not 100% but incredibly likely.

6 PM yikes.... I just dislike when you are doing the 8 hr shifts and it is semi slow ( which does happen after all the madness dies down) and you are fading fast and the redbulls aren't even working ya not fun lol.

This is getting out of hand! For years Target has respected their employees time with loved ones and family. Now greed has set in and a vast percentage of minimum wage employees are paying the price of sacrifice, dealing with crazy people, and expected to be friendly in this process. While the execs and higher ups enjoy their time off while pocketing millions. Target's motto of "Expect More, Pay Less" should be implied to their employees.....Expect More work and sacrifice, Pay Less!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back