leadership?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so lately when I close and am in hl, and the tl is in sl. Im put as "leader" of hl zone. Which I dont mind at all. Except for there is select few people who you can tell 20 times how to do something and they wont listen. Ive realised talking to team leads, just as "leadership tips" or w.e has helped so I figgured I would try this.

By people I mean people who have been called into the tsc 100 times and called coperate to whine. And I have a decent relationship with management so at some pointduring the night they come to ask how theyre doing. I even said once I feel like I'm tatteling, but I'm not going to lie either.

I just feel like I've beaten myself silly with a brick. Theyre have been new team member who started after and complain about said person.

So far Ive been told "you can only do what you can do and thats it, other people will do what they will and you can't control that"

and Would them putting me as "leader" like this be any indication of them possibly looking at me as a tl? or no?

That sl tl needs to get off carpet & walk hl to on zoning, cafs & tm's. Also, the lod should be doing the same thing too. Those tm's who arent listening to you, they will be coached soon.
One way to resolve the issue, do exactly what you told to do by tl or lod. Zone this area, help guests, go for backup, do cafs & your reshop. See what happens outside of your area. Don't stress yourself out!
Hopefully, your tl or lod will notice that other tm's are missing calls, on cell phones, not coming for backup, etc.
No hl tl's at night at my store happens twice a week.
Hang in there!
Here is a link on how to become a tl:
http://www.thebreakroom.us/showthread.php?t=61

Last edited:
I just want to add that a lot of times in our store we will give a team member additional responsibilities if we are thinking they are TL "material" or they have asked for it. We always talk to them first though, we don't just do it.

And you can only do what you can do. HLMaster said it..Don't stress yourself out!

In our store its different. We give low potential tms tasks that we know they cant complete so we can coach them out and then term them. If you are leadership potential then a tl would have taken you as a mentee. If nobody has, they may be setting you up to fail.

No they are not looking at you as being a TL. They simply see you as being the most competent out of the bunch (though that is not to imply you are a rockstar, sometimes we have to pick the smallest and least smelly turd). You previously stated you have an attitude with the job itself and that you were questioned about the attitude by the leadership team in your store and if I can catch it from a simple forum post you better damn well believe the leadership in your stores knows it.

Wow guys great fricken way to treat a fellow team member... You two sound like a$$holes.... NOP I'm fairly certain that's illegal under the fair business practices... and Stupid rules.... You just sound like a jerk....

How about some positive and constructive help/criticism like what hlm offered rather than being jerks ;)

Last edited:
I know you did I was pointing out that you did in fact offer something good As opposed to what they had said

Sorry for the confusion. What I am suggesting to the Op, is offering them a solution to the situation. We have a combo of tm's at my store, good, weak & bad tm's. There is hope for my folks. Just make sure they train correctly & given a team goal to complete the task. But with no hl present, it can hard to do. That is why the sl tl & lod need to step up to the plate. I got a new stl & they are taking no prisoners.

Yeah I know what you meant HLM... I was simply pointing out that NOP and Stupid Rules were being jerks to the op.... I was commending you for being positive to him and you deserve a GTC for that :)

@softlineszoner

I already know you have a foul attitude at work from the previous thread but I'll try and be civil here.

TMs are NOT supposed to "give orders" to other TMs, that would be a TL's job. Instead you can make "requests", and say something like "Hey _____, would you be able to ______?" instead of "Hey __________ I need you to __________."

Treating your fellow TMs with respect and having a good work ethic is the best way to gain your TL's attention.

Wow guys great fricken way to treat a fellow team member... You two sound like a$$holes.... NOP I'm fairly certain that's illegal under the fair business practices... and Stupid rules.... You just sound like a jerk....

How about some positive and constructive help/criticism like what hlm offered rather than being jerks ;)

so then you're familiar with the conversations that occur during the exec meetings?

No I've got no idea what goes on during an exec meeting nor do I give a flying monkeys anus. What I'm saying is it's ILLEGAL for an employer to PURPOSELY give an employee tasks in which they know the employee cannot complete so that they can fire them.... I'd like to know what store you work at so that I can report you and the store leadership to the better business bureau and to corporate.....

No I've got no idea what goes on during an exec meeting nor do I give a flying monkeys anus. What I'm saying is it's ILLEGAL for an employer to PURPOSELY give an employee tasks in which they know the employee cannot complete so that they can fire them.... I'd like to know what store you work at so that I can report you and the store leadership to the better business bureau and to corporate.....

I've worked in two other states and its been like that at those stores as well. Just saying if you've never been to those meetings then you can't rule out it isn't happening at your store too.

That may be but it's still illegal and you know it. That's why I am going to do what I can to report this issue.

If they're trying to get rid of somebody, maybe its that "somebody" that is the problem and not spot.

Just sayin'

He ne'er mentioned people who misbehaved, acted inappropriately, or were not doing the job. He simply stated "low potential" team members. Just because someone isn't a top performer and doesn't have high potential for leadership does not mean under any circumstance is it alright to do what you can to terminate said employee...

He ne'er mentioned people who misbehaved, acted inappropriately, or were not doing the job. He simply stated "low potential" team members. Just because someone isn't a top performer and doesn't have high potential for leadership does not mean under any circumstance is it alright to do what you can to terminate said employee...

If they are low potential and Target wants to get rid of them, that is perfectly in their right. There are tons of hard working people who want jobs right now, and Target won't have a hard time replacing lazy TMs.

We used to have a lazy Cart Attendant, and when he showed no signs of trying to improve, I ratted him out to our former-GSTL. She coached him on his poor performance, then eventually he got caught taking a 50 minute lunch and they instantly termed him. Now we have a much more ethical, pleasant, and hardworking CA that takes the job seriously. Good trade imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they are low potential and Target wants to get rid of them, that is perfectly in their right. There are tons of hard working people who want jobs right now, and Target won't have a hard time replacing lazy TMs.

We used to have a lazy Cart Attendant, and when he showed no signs of trying to improve, I ratted him out to our former-GSTL. She coached him on his poor performance, then eventually he got caught taking a 50 minute lunch and they instantly termed him. Now we have a much more ethical, pleasant, and hardworking CA that takes the job seriously. Good trade imo.

That's perfectly understandable. He on his own proved he needed to be fired. What NOP has said is they specifically give team members a task that they know that can't complete either due to incompetence or improper training so that they have a reason to fire them. That my friend is illegal and unethical. And will be promptly reported to the proper authorities....

At my store you pretty much have to show no effort/curse someone out/steal in order to get termed if you're a sales floor team member. It's an entry level position, not every TM is going to have TL or ETL potential. There's a difference between someone who is giving an effort and not doing well (they should receive additional training) and someone who is not giving an effort. This can be ascertained through consistent monitoring of the TM.

That's perfectly understandable. He on his own proved he needed to be fired. What NOP has said is they specifically give team members a task that they know that can't complete either due to incompetence or improper training so that they have a reason to fire them. That my friend is illegal and unethical. And will be promptly reported to the proper authorities....

Hard to prove if they were setting up the TM to fail or not. The work they set the TM up for could be well intentioned for all we know.

All of the people termed at my store deserved it one way or another, so I apologize if I'm skeptical of people criticizing Target for terminating them/coworkers

Hard to prove if they were setting up the TM to fail or not. The work they set the TM up for could be well intentioned for all we know.

All of the people termed at my store deserved it one way or another, so I apologize if I'm skeptical of people criticizing Target for terminating them/coworkers

I known would be hard to prove in some cases but according to a member of this forum named NOP not our problem he stated that they PURPOSELY GIVE LOW POTENTIAL TEAM MEMBERS TASKS WHICH THEY KNOW THEY CANNOT COMPLETE FOR THE PURPOSE OF TERMINATION. Can I not spell that out any more cleary for you???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back