Archived Leading your Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some of you may know, I'm a new-in-role Softlines team leader.

I've started to get a better grip on my actual job duties, and I'm getting better at prioritizing all of my various tasks.

However, I'm having a hard time leading my team. I know that sounds weird, but i mean, I'm just new to "managing" other people. I'm a pro at managing execution, not talent.

So, my question is: How do you lead your team? How do you create respect and authority while maintaining the "team" attitude?

I can't speak specifically to Target, as I haven't started my job there yet. However, I have plenty of leadership experience outside of Target. Everyone has a different style of leadership, motivation, and execution of the goal/mission, but my personal preference has always been:

1) Get to know people on a personal level. It helps to create a strong camaraderie when your boss (and peers) are people you view as PEOPLE, not just bosses. This doesn't mean goofing around on the clock (excessively at least) and there's a fine line to walk at times b/c you don't want them to lose sight of the fact that you are their boss, but I find it works well. Connect with everyone on some level, music, movies, common sports interests, cars, vacation spots you like... it really doesn't matter what. However, when they start enjoying seeing you every day, they start enjoying work more, and that increases productivity.

2) Don't be afraid to delegate OR lead by example. There are plenty of times when you simply have too much to manage and can't "help out" in the traditional sense. Make sure you provide clear tasks, timelines and expectations, it's unfair to hold people to standards that you haven't clearly outlined. However, on the flip side, if you've got the time, get in there and work alongside your subordinates, it reinforces that you are perfectly willing and able to do the things you expect them to do.

Leadership, especially at the lower levels, is a tricky thing and is very dependent on the situation and who you are dealing with. There's no perfect road map and in the end, you have to find out what works best for you.

A few basics;
treat your people like you would want to be treated,
don't assign anything you aren't willing to do yourself,
ask rather then tell (and say please, it doesn't hurt to be polite),
thank people when they do things for you,
bring cookies (or something that's just from you for your team)
don't dress people down in front of everybody else (if you need to call them on something take them off to one side),
protect your team (spot will do what it can to rain drek on you, provide the biggest umbrella for your team possible).

A few basics;
don't dress people down in front of everybody else (if you need to call them on something take them off to one side),
protect your team (spot will do what it can to rain drek on you, provide the biggest umbrella for your team possible).

this! ^

A few basics;

this... and make sure you work side by side with your team, and if you have to leave the floor for email, planning, meetings, interviews, whatever, let them know what you are doing so they don't assume you're just lazy.

this... and make sure you work side by side with your team, and if you have to leave the floor for email, planning, meetings, interviews, whatever, let them know what you are doing so they don't assume you're just lazy.

I like this one! HR King, I am new in role to a TL, as well as Softlines. If you get any good info send some my way! Good Luck!

1 be real. Get to know your team let them get to know you.
2 tell your team things are you setting an adj tell them there's a major transition going on let them know tms like knowing what's going on
3 set high expectations and follow up with tm it can be uncomfortable but needs to be done. My team has a tendency to hangout in the fitting room while I want to encourage them having good relationships with each other this can't happen so I allow team zoning at the end of the night we all fold panty bins together or pick up shoes or bust out RTW strays.
4 put together a a-team this is all your go to people notice someone going a ove and beyond they belong here this group will help you decide who you want to develop as well
5 don't be afraid to put your foot down. When I first was promoted it was awkward I had to put a few people on final some where close to me before but at the end of the day you do what's best for the team

6 don't panic and if you need anything shoot me a message sl tl's have to have eachothers backs :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back