Archived Let’s talk about those High School TMs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just my store or is anyone else constantly surrounded by high schoolers and their drama. All they do is stand around together and talk crap about people. As someone not used to this childish type of work environment it sucks.

I actually really enjoy some of the younger TM's at my store. Many of them have some great energy! That said, there are others who have nasty attitudes and love the drama. Those people will always exist. IMO what's worse is the 50+ crowd that's always angry. I can deal with drama, but there's never an excuse to be openly abrasive and mean. There's a couple I wish I could tell off, but I like my job.

I actually really enjoy some of the younger TM's at my store. Many of them have some great energy! That said, there are others who have nasty attitudes and love the drama. Those people will always exist. IMO what's worse is the 50+ crowd that's always angry. I can deal with drama, but there's never an excuse to be openly abrasive and mean. There's a couple I wish I could tell off, but I like my job.

Ours have too much energy. Dude runs around like its a playground.

The high schoolers at my store are actually pretty good. They all have good people skills, are friendly, not the hardest workers but they are fun to be around and most of them are just cashiers anyway. Not a lot of drama either

They stuck one of them at Guest Service and the first transaction was an argument with a Merch Card refund where the guest refused to understand that POS attempts the refund on the full value of the merch card(s) used on the transaction before it attempts to refund other payment methods.

She couldn't explain that to the guest effectively and prompted a GSA response.

Guest was mad but understood.

They are awesome, leaving their cardboard everywhere, taking over an hour to push one single fucking U-boat, playing with their phones on the salesfloor, leaving equipment anywhere and everywhere, and flat out ignoring other TM's and guests.. Yeah they are awesome!!!

Most of ours are pretty good. We always pair them up with older tms for training, to give them the idea that it isn't high school. I don't find our HS kids to be full of drama at all. They are typically responsible about their shifts, and get along with everyone.

Most of ours are pretty good. We always pair them up with older tms for training, to give them the idea that it isn't high school. I don't find our HS kids to be full of drama at all. They are typically responsible about their shifts, and get along with everyone.

Can't do that when your TM's that knew the job have all quit due to the bullshit.

we have one fresh out of high school. He seems to disappear for 30 minutes, then shows up out of nowhere saying "im going to take my 15 min break". All this after coming back from 45 min Lunch. high schoolers also can't work past 6 PM or something. stupid laws. I remember being in HS, and i stay up until 1AM.

I think high schoolers really just depend. You have some people like me, who’s the only person in my area who ever does ANYTHING and I’m always cleaning up after everyone’s messes. Always clock in 5 minutes early, take 30 minute breaks, and I’m generally the go to person in the store by the ETL’s for basically anything that they need done. They literally fight over who gets my hours each week... There’s at least a couple other productive high schoolers at my store, but then again there’s all the ones mentioned in this thread as well, that just stand around during their shifts and then go smoke weed in their car on their 30’s... we had a high school girl run out of the store crying because her boyfriend (also a TM) broke up with her in the middle of her shift.... the other really damn annoying thing about other people my age is that they’re always on their phone hiding it underneath shelves and shit.

Is it just my store or is anyone else constantly surrounded by high schoolers and their drama. All they do is stand around together and talk crap about people. As someone not used to this childish type of work environment it sucks.

Drama does not discriminate based on age. I know plenty of adult TMs at Target who “talk crap” about fellow TMs.

we don’t hire many minors. there seems to be more people around my age (18-22 range). our minors are nice... usually cashiers and aren’t too bad. they generally don’t last long.

one girl we have now while nice can’t really commit to the job, so that is annoying. either late or calls out 9 times out of 10 due to extra curricular commitments.

Why in the hell was a kid put at GS.

*cough* Amanda Cantwell

Back on track, the two we've got at softlines are pretty good. There's a third, not sure if she's high school or barely out, she's slow at doing stuff but I also suspect intellectually she's got some problems, so forgivable.

Most of these teens I either trained or lent a helping hand are doing their best at my store as a cashier. Good kids and I’ll deadass defend them if any guest tries to harass them.

Unfortunately, most of them also think I’m a high school student lmao. I have to remind them that I’m an adult and how important it is to be aware of the difference between interacting with fellow minors and adults. If your older coworker is making you uncomfortable, please let someone know you trust be it if it’s a GSTL you’re getting along with or an HR TM who helped you with your schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back