Sales Floor Let's meet in the Middle; an Electronics/Tech thread

I really wish they'd stop pulling us out to do another department. Its impossible to keep up with the workload
At my store they make us do Electronics and Entertainment for 141, zone, go-backs and they also make us do pets zone and go back and baby zone and go backs....... we make 80 million a year and we can't afford to get someone to do baby pets and seasonal?

No one believes me when I say GM is Entertainment, when I show them that Entertainment is under General Merchandise in myDay, price change, one for ones, audits, set workload, BRLA, and monthly planner. "Can you fix BRLA for entertainment, our metrics are going down." Well if it's YOUR metrics why is it OUR job...

I don't really mind the entertainment part because its not a problem 90% of the time, including revisions. Its pulling me out because I'm good at setting or short staffed on other GM areas.

The other issue is that trucks on Tuesdays are just the normal thing now which only leaves 2 days a week for all departments to work on stuff outside of pushing that days truck. No department can keep up due to this and corporate needs to get their heads out of the sand and stop doing this

The other issue is that trucks on Tuesdays are just the normal thing now which only leaves 2 days a week for all departments to work on stuff outside of pushing that days truck. No department can keep up due to this and corporate needs to get their heads out of the sand and stop doing this
2019 was the last year we didn't have a truck every single day. Getting other tasks done (in all of my departments) is SO hard and we are all barely holding it together.

Mine can keep up. But that's only cause its understood at my store. Electronics don't get pulled to do media or anything else unless its 8pm and the stores dead and they volunteer. Medias not our problem. Anything that gets done with media is litterally to make techs life easier since we are closest to media.

Primarily this will be backstocking kpop.

So, after testing it for a few weeks, I think I found a much faster way to handle trucks. Reorganize the cage, putting security required items in a 3-tier. Instead of pushing the cage next, though, go to the flat and find any more security items on it and add those to the three tier. Put all those items into security and push that. Then, start on the flat and push that out, separating any Entertainment boxes if you also push those as, at least at my store, we do those last. Keep any backstock on the flat and then push the cage out. This makes it so that once you start pushing the security items, you're effectively pushing at all times rather than going back and forth and after the cage is done, you have a flat of just backstock and can do it all at once. If you aren't able to finish within your last hour, work on the backstock you have. This also makes it so the person who comes in the next day if you're the only one scheduled has repacks organized already so they can just add the new items to those you didn't finish.

So, after testing it for a few weeks, I think I found a much faster way to handle trucks. Reorganize the cage, putting security required items in a 3-tier. Instead of pushing the cage next, though, go to the flat and find any more security items on it and add those to the three tier. Put all those items into security and push that. Then, start on the flat and push that out, separating any Entertainment boxes if you also push those as, at least at my store, we do those last. Keep any backstock on the flat and then push the cage out. This makes it so that once you start pushing the security items, you're effectively pushing at all times rather than going back and forth and after the cage is done, you have a flat of just backstock and can do it all at once. If you aren't able to finish within your last hour, work on the backstock you have. This also makes it so the person who comes in the next day if you're the only one scheduled has repacks organized already so they can just add the new items to those you didn't finish.
so so so so SO Happy my store doesn't require us to use the cage. We just pull the flat out and push it.

For us we always work repacks first and use a 3 tier as our push vehicle 4 repacks will fit and can be worked at a time via the 3tier. Then they are worked by the boat all security gets wrapped and via 3tier everything is organized by isle so it can be pushed isle to isle to be efficient and the bottom tier via a repack can be backstock and each trip to the back room rinse and repeat.

For us we always work repacks first and use a 3 tier as our push vehicle 4 repacks will fit and can be worked at a time via the 3tier. Then they are worked by the boat all security gets wrapped and via 3tier everything is organized by isle so it can be pushed isle to isle to be efficient and the bottom tier via a repack can be backstock and each trip to the back room rinse and repeat.
Oh that must suck :/

When I open I normally first open a repack then push that off my flat. Then I keep that repack as my back stock box. Then the next repack holds all my excess boxes and another repack holds my repacks.

I do a very similar thing. Anything I know that would be kept in the back (apple for us). I seperate the high value items and organize them on a 3-tier and do a blitz. I have a second cart for backstock which I keep near the cage. The rest I organize at the boat and push it all day.

Oh that must suck :/

When I open I normally first open a repack then push that off my flat. Then I keep that repack as my back stock box. Then the next repack holds all my excess boxes and another repack holds my repacks.
It actually doesn’t it’s super effective and there’s very little to no clutter at all. The DM loved it so much and so did APBP that they wanted it done like that through the district. Instead of just having go store to store by word of mouth/pics I was assigned to go to each store to show them. Some stores processes were very i wouldn’t say broken but needing guidance. The ETL at one store at the time wasn’t fond of the team learning it she wanted it kept the way she showed them. Her process was everything had to be sorted from the truck boxes and repacks before anything could be pushed and it all had to be done on the floor. Talk about a mess

It actually doesn’t it’s super effective and there’s very little to no clutter at all. The DM loved it so much and so did APBP that they wanted it done like that through the district. Instead of just having go store to store by word of mouth/pics I was assigned to go to each store to show them. Some stores processes were very i wouldn’t say broken but needing guidance. The ETL at one store at the time wasn’t fond of the team learning it she wanted it kept the way she showed them. Her process was everything had to be sorted from the truck boxes and repacks before anything could be pushed and it all had to be done on the floor. Talk about a mess
Ours doesn't care as long as high value items aren't sitting at the boat.

I was assigned to go to each store to show them. Some stores processes were very i wouldn’t say broken but needing guidance
That's super cool!
Her process was everything had to be sorted from the truck boxes and repacks before anything could be pushed and it all had to be done on the floor. Talk about a mess
Funny you mention this. My old SS ETL got a promotion to SD at another store so our ETL HR because SS ETL (she has previous retail experience)

With that, she joined the club in Q4 of last year. She would say such snarky shit it pissed me off. When we got books, Rather than just pushing directly from the boxes she wanted us to sort the boxes ( in the backroom ) and only sort what we can push. When we would push from the boxes we would have a dedicated cart (sometimes a shopping cart sometimes a 3 tier) of backstock and she hated how it would be in the backroom till we pushed most of the books and how it's "overflowing". She said that we should also be pushing books and pulling 141 in smaller batches.

The thing that pissed me the fuck off was she said something like "If this is how we handle the books it's no wonder this department is behind". She eventually came around to basically the same thing that we did before she came lol.

Another thing about this new ETL is she is convinced that we aren't being "productive" when we have overlap? Her and like 27 other TLs kept bitching about how "it doesn't look like electronics is being productive" so I deadass looked at her and said

Me: "but aren't our numbers good?"
ETL: "well yeah but blah blah blah"
Me; "but when we have overlap aren't sales and 141 much better?"

They would bitch at us for a WEEK we didn't change a thing, if anything we talked more. Literally, we performed as the best department in 141 and I think sales that week. leave us alone we are self sufficient.

That's super cool!

Funny you mention this. My old SS ETL got a promotion to SD at another store so our ETL HR because SS ETL (she has previous retail experience)

With that, she joined the club in Q4 of last year. She would say such snarky shit it pissed me off. When we got books, Rather than just pushing directly from the boxes she wanted us to sort the boxes ( in the backroom ) and only sort what we can push. When we would push from the boxes we would have a dedicated cart (sometimes a shopping cart sometimes a 3 tier) of backstock and she hated how it would be in the backroom till we pushed most of the books and how it's "overflowing". She said that we should also be pushing books and pulling 141 in smaller batches.

The thing that pissed me the fuck off was she said something like "If this is how we handle the books it's no wonder this department is behind". She eventually came around to basically the same thing that we did before she came lol.

Another thing about this new ETL is she is convinced that we aren't being "productive" when we have overlap? Her and like 27 other TLs kept bitching about how "it doesn't look like electronics is being productive" so I deadass looked at her and said

Me: "but aren't our numbers good?"
ETL: "well yeah but blah blah blah"
Me; "but when we have overlap aren't sales and 141 much better?"

They would bitch at us for a WEEK we didn't change a thing, if anything we talked more. Literally, we performed as the best department in 141 and I think sales that week. leave us alone we are self sufficient.
The ETL team & SD stopped giving me flack and excuses when I could back things up with reports via Greenfield and speak to every little thing and being on the Districts team good side. Our 1F1s have been stellar we have the routine down to every hour to check and clear them for Tech. Entertainment is GM only within the district as they stayed course with it that way. We have a dedicated GM TM for that that works Fri-Tues only in Entertainment. It’s almost like we are robots when how well oiled the routines are. We have had many compliments through the years from guests on how well our department is and how it feels like it’s really it’s own mini store within a store.

Back