Sales Floor Let's meet in the Middle; an Electronics/Tech thread

This whole format is called Electronics 2.0. It’s nice in the sense of it being smaller BUT no where to put cases. Wish it was a bit bigger high key
Interesting, we have newer style registers than you, yet we still have the old white keyboards from the ancient systems. Wish we could get rid of them if they aren't going to enable them for new POS.

Interesting, we have newer style registers than you, yet we still have the old white keyboards from the ancient systems. Wish we could get rid of them if they aren't going to enable them for new POS.
You can get rid of them. My whole store threw them in the back lmao. We got our registers remodeled a few years ago so in the middle of the remodel they said we aren’t getting new registers because they are already new. Wish they just used a AIO honestly.

Just a heads up for folks wondering WTF is with all the vinyl. Over 3 million vinyl albums were sold in a single week in the US, the first time this has happened in the Soundscan era.
I'm pretty sure Spot really wants to get some of that action so they aren't going away any time soon.
We have so many fkn bins of vinyl already I hate it.

We have so many fkn bins of vinyl already I hate it.

I love vinyl hunting.
Back before, /me waves hand at everything, this, I used to go out every Sunday and hunt for classic vinyl.
I would also buy new stuff if it was good.
Really miss that, along with live music.

ka-off-the-record.gif
fast-crate-digging.gif

So, i love the tv valley, it cuts down on the sound at the desk... or maybe we have ours on mute.

Guests hate the new boat cause they never know where to stand.

I like the back wall cause its nice and illuminated.

Hate how ungodly hot it gets back there during the the summer.

You can get rid of them. My whole store threw them in the back lmao. We got our registers remodeled a few years ago so in the middle of the remodel they said we aren’t getting new registers because they are already new. Wish they just used a AIO honestly.
I'm honestly tempted to tuck ours away just for the tiny amount of extra space it'd provide. Our registers sadly aren't AIO just a really thin small form factor pc that's tucked underneath the desk. We also have those super annoying large plastic squares that no one knows what they do (I think they were used once upon a time to demagnetize security sensors to not set off the door alarms) wasting space. 🙄
So, i love the tv valley, it cuts down on the sound at the desk... or maybe we have ours on mute.
Ours are permanently on mute and the quiet is pure bliss. Occasionally if we're getting a high profile visit I will bump up the sound so they don't complain but store level leaders don't seem to care. They also didn't seem to wire any music speakers near electronics so it truly is peaceful.

I'm honestly tempted to tuck ours away just for the tiny amount of extra space it'd provide. Our registers sadly aren't AIO just a really thin small form factor pc that's tucked underneath the desk. We also have those super annoying large plastic squares that no one knows what they do (I think they were used once upon a time to demagnetize security sensors to not set off the door alarms) wasting space. 🙄

Ours are permanently on mute and the quiet is pure bliss. Occasionally if we're getting a high profile visit I will bump up the sound so they don't complain but store level leaders don't seem to care. They also didn't seem to wire any music speakers near electronics so it truly is peaceful.
Your plastic squares are still in use. They deactivate the magnets in the items that set off the sensors up front.

I only know this cause our pml was like "why isn't this plugged in / being used"
And i was like idk they never explained its purpose and they didn't plug it in past remodel.

Ours is hilariously leaning against our covid screen in the little tiny ammount of desk space.

Our tv valley , the visiting execs never say a word and we have had regional vp's come thru. And yea there is no speakers near electronics. Super peaceful at the boat actually.

Your plastic squares are still in use. They deactivate the magnets in the items that set off the sensors up front.

I only know this cause our pml was like "why isn't this plugged in / being used"
And i was like idk they never explained its purpose and they didn't plug it in past remodel.
Ours may be plugged in but we never actually use them and alarms don’t go off…and literally no one knows what they are all about lol. Not even AP ETL.

I refuse to let the sound on. It sounds TERRIBLE. Like I went to a store with the sound on and Jesus Christ it was terrible. Idfk why we got those either they are for RFID but I don’t even think ours are plugged in LMAO. Also without keyboards is so nice. Extra space.
Guests hate the new boat cause they never know where to stand.
Totally agree.
Ours is hilariously leaning against our covid screen in the little tiny ammount of desk space.
Our SD tore down our plexiglass on the tiny boat.
Ours may be plugged in but we never actually use them and alarms don’t go off…and literally no one knows what they are all about lol. Not even AP ETL.
Yeah, ours have been unplugged forever lol.

/rant

To all the team members in non mobile stores that blow off consumer cellular guests....stop being lazy pieces of shit.

I'm in a non mobile store now and I hear it from our team members, and I have constant calls from guests visiting other stores that are having issues..one of those stores actually being a mobile store and refusing to help if their computer is down, which is unnecessary.

If your guest is truly desperate and not sure what to do and the idea of driving to another store isn't ideal for them...help them. You don't have to do it directly. You can say sorry this store isn't equipped to set your phones up but I can dial consumer for you to talk to them for activation.

That's it. It's called guest service. It's your job. I swear it's so frustrating hearing how frustrated these people are and not being able to help them as much as I used to.

For all those that didn't know...the number for the ROC is 1 800 570 5746. Option 6 is consumer cellular. This is not a number you give to guests this is a number you use for yourself

You say "Hey my name is ____ and my store number is ____ I have a guest that needs to activate a new phone but our store does not service consumer cellular." They'll say blah blah we'd be happy to help and then you just say "I'm going to hand you to the guest now."

Most electronics have a phone of some sort. Wireless or stationary.

Leaders reading this. Train your goddamned team members and stop being apathetic about interaction

/Endrant

Last edited:
For non mobile stores, servicing/activating mobile phones is not our job, and leaders don't expect us to be spending time on it. Now, personally, I will help if its a basic problem that I can solve relatively quickly, but that's an exception, not an expectation. For example I move SIM cards from old phones to new phones all the time so that the guest can begin using the new phone, but when activation is required that's when they have to call the company or visit a mobile store. And no, I'm not tying up the electronics phone for them to use.

Yup I've been told "if mobiles not there, not our issue, we have other responsibilities that you need to do, if you break the guests phone that's on you doing stuff out side your responsibilities "

Now have i helped a guest activate a prepaid phone? Yea. But its not my responsibility .
But I've been told "No touching the guests phone"

They deactivate stickers like these and some items have them built onto the box with the rectangle sticker in the other photo. That white box is also built into all the scales at the self checkouts and registers which is why it beeps when items with these are put near it. It also beeps however when any security tag is put near it but just deactivates the stickers.

Attachments

• 68EF9BBD-4E91-4ED3-8FC8-4E956A502364.jpeg
    68EF9BBD-4E91-4ED3-8FC8-4E956A502364.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 16C3F2B6-205A-4B88-8B36-5ADE0FC43218.jpeg
    16C3F2B6-205A-4B88-8B36-5ADE0FC43218.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
I am new to Tech myself. I was hired as a seasonal GM expert in October and after someone quit, I was cross-trained in Tech and I worked there for most of my shifts from November to December.

I was brought on as a non-seasonal employee, with Tech being my primary assignment.

Is there any advice out there for me?

I am new to Tech myself. I was hired as a seasonal GM expert in October and after someone quit, I was cross-trained in Tech and I worked there for most of my shifts from November to December.

I was brought on as a non-seasonal employee, with Tech being my primary assignment.

Is there any advice out there for me?
Read this thread its helpful. Uhhh get the target app on your phone. Get used to using it to look up items for guests with their esoteric descriptions. You can also get the dpci that way to look it up in the zebra.

This number is an ATT easy-connect number, and not anything Target related.
The ROC is a resource for target mobile and can include getting you things ordered to your store for your mobile center. Non mobile stores can still use this to get ahold of consumer cellular. It's not exclusively for att and I'd actually say we have no use for it as anything ATT related. The only ATT resource it ever provided was assistance in activating new contract phones, which we don't do anymore. Elsewise it's always been for mostly market source and Plus Mobile. They deal with inventory concerns for target as well.

Last edited:
And no, I'm not tying up the electronics phone for them to use.
There is no "tying up" the electronics phone. Your primary answering should be done on your zebra. The stationary phone in tech is outdated and can be used for this method.

Most of you are missing the point in any case.
We aren't talking about servicing phones in non mobile stores as much as getting your guest the help they need.

The most generic response I've seen, and even you guys confirm, is "oh sorry I can't help you we aren't a mobile store."

You are still responsible to provide them with information on the plans, you are still responsible to help guide them in the right direction.

After/during/before you are able to say "We carry these but unfortunately we don't activate or service consumer cellular in our store."

With this most are more than understanding but there are a few that are completely blind sided and complain they have no way to call them cause their phone is broken/missing/etc. That's the situation in which you should be assisting them with the ROC.

Last edited:
Are you absolutely sure TMs in non-mobile stores have the knowledge, training and responsibility to provide plan information? Or is that not expected and actually unwanted by those above the store level? If it's a duty that is mandated to not be done then people following the rules shouldn't be fussed at for doing the right thing.

The ROC is a resource for target mobile and can include getting you things ordered to your store for your mobile center. Non mobile stores can still use this to get ahold of consumer cellular. It's not exclusively for att and I'd actually say we have no use for it as anything ATT related. The only ATT resource it ever provided was assistance in activating new contract phones, which we don't do anymore. Elsewise it's always been for mostly market source and Plus Mobile. They deal with inventory concerns for target as well.
What I'm trying to say is it seems like the phone number you posted is wrong, because it goes to a conference bridge line

There is no "tying up" the electronics phone. Your primary answering should be done on your zebra. The stationary phone in tech is outdated and can be used for this method.
We don't have an actual phone at the boat, and even if we did there is no room for someone to be there for extended times using it while we need to be ringing up and providing service to other guests. We have the post remodel mini-boat.

You are still responsible to provide them with information on the plans, you are still responsible to help guide them in the right direction.

After/during/before you are able to say "We carry these but unfortunately we don't activate or service consumer cellular in our store."

With this most are more than understanding but there are a few that are completely blind sided and complain they have no way to call them cause their phone is broken/missing/etc. That's the situation in which you should be assisting them with the ROC.
I absolutely do provide them information on the plans to the best of my ability. For the ones that don't have a working phone (and have no friends or family or neighbors to borrow a phone) I refer them to the mobile locations. They're using a cheap MVNO phone service and part of that is limited locations for service. If they need to have plentiful locations and access to phone service they should pony up and setup postpaid service with att/verizon/tmobile at one of their many stores.

Are you absolutely sure TMs in non-mobile stores have the knowledge, training and responsibility to provide plan information? Or is that not expected and actually unwanted by those above the store level? If it's a duty that is mandated to not be done then people following the rules shouldn't be fussed at for doing the right thing.
Bingo. Non mobile store TMs have no training regarding cell phones. If there was any expectation of us helping guests with them, some (probably mediocre) training would be provided.

That's it. It's called guest service. It's your job. I swear it's so frustrating hearing how frustrated these people are and not being able to help them as much as I used to.
Normally if its a simple problem like “I can’t get calls!” I do the basic check if Do Not Disturb is on or if airplane mode but if it is ANYTHING sim related I will refer them to another store (If our mobile rep is out). I don’t mind helping but it is no where near my responsibility to help guests with their Consumer Cellular phones. I don’t get paid more to worry about consumer guests. Now if spot said “All Tech Consultants would be getting a 3 dollar raise to work on Consumer phones with appointments“ thats a different story. I am not required to help guests with this because it is not only not my responsibility but it is also not in my pay range.

Bingo. Non mobile store TMs have no training regarding cell phones. If there was any expectation of us helping guests with them, some (probably mediocre) training would be provided.
Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought this was the opposite? I remember a few months ago it said that non MarketSource stores would train TMs on activating like prepaid CC phones and do appointments and everything.

Most electronics have a phone of some sort. Wireless or stationary.
Not only keyword MOST. A lot of stores (including mine) got the new small boat so space is precious there.. So we don’t have a phone. Even if we did I am not handing them the phone. CC guests are normally boomers who wear no facial covering so if they don’t care for my health I don’t care about them not getting calls. Sorry bout it!

Our CC guests (non-mobile store/previously mobile store) book appointments with our tech dept. a week in advance, I think 2 or 3 days a week. They have an appt. book which has their schedules in it and can book up to 2 appt. per shift on those days. Guests were a little meh about not getting immediate service (this does not mean questions aren't answered, just that they have activation time, etc.) but then it sort of became a "well, I have an appointment" sort of thing. Techs are able to devote that time to the one guest and ensure that they get one on one service with no other interruptions. It has worked extremely well.

Read this thread its helpful. Uhhh get the target app on your phone. Get used to using it to look up items for guests with their esoteric descriptions. You can also get the dpci that way to look it up in the zebra.
Thanks! I use the target app and google all the time, especially for the sites that block the price matching through network blacklist.

Thanks! I use the target app and google all the time, especially for the sites that block the price matching through network blacklist.
something super helpful for me is to setup a focus on my iPhone. i setup the apps i use the most. the one with the blue wallpaper is my normal wallpaper the red wallpaper is my target focus. it auto changes the UI of my phone if depending on if im at work or not.

now i just did that because i could lol. a bigggg help for electronics is getting the pricematching apps on your phone (walmart, amazon, bestbuy are the realllly big ones). so when a guest asks to price match to say walmart, whip out the walmart app and just scan the item. that is the most reliable way to price match. the device can be very tedious to deal with at times especially with external websites.

Attachments

• 98AE72CD-C23A-4AC3-B590-DFDADAC148A5.png
    98AE72CD-C23A-4AC3-B590-DFDADAC148A5.png
    909.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 56D72E10-CA86-4371-AAC2-3EF7E8A25063.jpeg
    56D72E10-CA86-4371-AAC2-3EF7E8A25063.jpeg
    211.3 KB · Views: 17
Back