Sales Floor Let's meet in the Middle; an Electronics/Tech thread

"tech can you come to the boat theres a guest who says theyve been waiting 10 min"
"ok"
*comes out from the next aisle from the boat saying ive been here for 20 minutes*

every. damn. time. i'll be working in an aisle and get a call abt a guest who cant find me and i'll literally be an aisle or 2 away. one time someone was literally circling the boat saying "why isnt anyone ever fucking here" and i was, as usual, one aisle away where they apparently didnt think to check.

"Electronics, you have a guest."
*Me, standing at the boat, not seeing anyone in the area or down the racetrack*
"Hey, copy. Where's the guest?
"Second Floor Registers"

Okay??? And?? Send them to the boat I'm not walking all the way over there. Plus you calling it out makes it sound like I'm not doing my job while I'm literally standing in the most visible spot in the department.

when it’s a team of 3 that’s what happens and we are all at 40 each week
MUST BE NICE qq

thats how it used to be at my store. small tech team, full shifts, good hours.... they decided they didnt want to have to cover tech lunches and were like "ok 6-7 tms and 3-4 hr shifts for all of u" which results in 12-16 hours if we are lucky

Plus you calling it out makes it sound like I'm not doing my job while I'm literally standing in the most visible spot in the department.
this is my BIGGEST PEEVE i hate when people call out things like that

in particular when they do shit like "elec u have people waiting for u at the boat" or "elec u literally have 3 guests at the boat" cos most of the time i am either AT THE BOAT or ONE AISLE AWAY

so i literally just reply w "ok im at the boat and no ones here" or "i was literally the next aisle over" because some of the etls give me shit for never being at the boat

its been MONTHS and im still pissed abt the etl who was questioning why i was in the back at 3pm saturday which is apparently "peak hours" instead of being visible on the floor

like i wasnt tryna pull my manuals??? and no one was on the floor when i left

At my store someone will call out, "Electronics, you have a guest at the boat." As long as you answer immediately that you are on your way, management has never had a problem with it. Don't get management who wants you in two places at the same time.

"tech can you come to the boat theres a guest who says theyve been waiting 10 min"
"ok"
*comes out from the next aisle from the boat saying ive been here for 20 minutes*

every. damn. time. i'll be working in an aisle and get a call abt a guest who cant find me and i'll literally be an aisle or 2 away. one time someone was literally circling the boat saying "why isnt anyone ever fucking here" and i was, as usual, one aisle away where they apparently didnt think to check.

Recently ive been getting "electronics we are sending a guest to you"

"I'll be standing right in front of the desk"

"Roger"

10 minutes later... no guest shows up.

I certainly love those "electronics you have guests" and I'm either in the backroom doing something. Or im walking back from abandons or checking out the remote end caps that have tech things on it... like the one in wildfable.

my fave thing is when someone calls me on the walkie saying i have guests and i show up.............

and they ask an inventory question like the person on the walkie LITERALLY could have answered it themselves via zebra search OR ASKED ME ON THE WALKIE

nothing rustles my jimmies more than tryna backstock/pull/whatever the fuck else, getting called to the boat, and finding out it was something ANYONE ELSE COULDA DONE

but people immediately get caught by someone in tech and go OHOHOHOHOH NOOOOOOOO NONONO NOT MY DEPT LEMME CALL SOMEONE FOR U

What would get to me was doing my morning pulls in the backroom, or stocking battery outposts, and getting the call about the guest at the boat. I'd hustle over there only to find some boomer wanting Consumer Cellular. Nope, gotta wait for MarketSouce at 11 a.m. to help you.

My two “favorites” after getting the “electronics you have guests at the boat”:

1.They just wanted to know if we have switches. 99.9999% of the time the answer is no and any TM should know that or be able to look it up.

2. I get over there and they just want to check out. People don’t seem to realize that they can ring up anything that isn’t locked on a peg or in a case up front. Or even worse they have no tech items at all.

my fave thing is when someone calls me on the walkie saying i have guests and i show up.............

and they ask an inventory question like the person on the walkie LITERALLY could have answered it themselves via zebra search OR ASKED ME ON THE WALKIE

nothing rustles my jimmies more than tryna backstock/pull/whatever the fuck else, getting called to the boat, and finding out it was something ANYONE ELSE COULDA DONE

but people immediately get caught by someone in tech and go OHOHOHOHOH NOOOOOOOO NONONO NOT MY DEPT LEMME CALL SOMEONE FOR U

LMAO. I do that a lot. Because (a) Well, not my department, (b) I have a 6th sense for the guests who if the answer is no, are going to ask about something else, (c) if we do have it in stock, I can't actually stop what I'm doing to go get it out of the back for them or ring them up, (d) gives tech a chance to sell them something better, (e) a lot of the time I have literally no clue what the product is that they're asking about, and (f) yeah not my department.

Of course, if it's something simple like do you have any PS4 controllers, that's an easy lol no, no we don't. No need to bother tech with that one.

LMAO. I do that a lot. Because (a) Well, not my department, (b) I have a 6th sense for the guests who if the answer is no, are going to ask about something else, (c) if we do have it in stock, I can't actually stop what I'm doing to go get it out of the back for them or ring them up, (d) gives tech a chance to sell them something better, (e) a lot of the time I have literally no clue what the product is that they're asking about, and (f) yeah not my department.

Of course, if it's something simple like do you have any PS4 controllers, that's an easy lol no, no we don't. No need to bother tech with that one.
My store has them in stock, somehow.

if youre opu you get a pass

i meant more for gm and shit

altho opu ppl here tend to help tech if they pass by idk why tho but i dont argue

I directed someone to the printer cartridges the other day, so I'm good, right? 😁

I only know where they and the batteries are because I buy them all the time, lol - anything else in Tech, I'm clueless.

I really do not understand the aversion to looking stuff up for tech. 9/10 it’s something easy like “Where are SD cards” or “Where are Ethernet cables”. I’ll ask TMs to switch to another channel when they call it out to see if it’s something easy I can answer, especially because I work in a two-story store so having to run all the way upstairs is a hassle if it’s something that can easily be answered over the walkie. Also our store is very lenient on us having our phones out as long as we’re looking stuff up for a guest, it takes two seconds and I’ve done it hundreds of times for GM. 😞

I really do not understand the aversion to looking stuff up for tech. 9/10 it’s something easy like “Where are SD cards” or “Where are Ethernet cables”. I’ll ask TMs to switch to another channel when they call it out to see if it’s something easy I can answer, especially because I work in a two-story store so having to run all the way upstairs is a hassle if it’s something that can easily be answered over the walkie. Also our store is very lenient on us having our phones out as long as we’re looking stuff up for a guest, it takes two seconds and I’ve done it hundreds of times for GM. 😞
I think there's the expectation or fear that folks looking for stuff in Tech will have follow-up questions that we mere mortals can't answer.

For those wondering what new PC Gaming stuff were getting, for now I see some various Elgato products (green screen, key light), and looks like we will get Roccat as a brand. Not sure if it would replace a brand. The other brands seem to be getting a few new products that will probably replace old ones.

How’s everyone’s non-contract phone situation? So far I’ve only seen the Do Not Sell slip print for the Alcatel flip phones but I think some stores got hit harder than we did? Or maybe we just haven’t checked enough of them.

So, supposedly ordering mobile phones for pickup is coming in the next couple of weeks. I didn't get a chance to dive into the details today. I was hoping to at the end of my shift but got bogged down searching for fask masks. I do know that fulfillment is not supposed to do it. Fulfillment's role is to notify tech if an order pops in and tech is supposed to do it.

Back