Archived Let's talk about price matching!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StaticSun

Former Front-End Guru
Staff member
Administrator
Any horror stories as of yet?

I came back from my meal, and was called right over to Guest Service. Made eye contact, was friendly with the guest. They had an item and wanted to price match with Best Buy. It was a $20 difference. Well, I typed in the UPC and Best Buy said the item was only available in-store, and didn't give a price. I, politely, indicated the item didn't qualify for a pricematch. He became upset, and said he found it on the website just fine. He said the app I was using sucked and was terrible, and said he saw it on the website plain as day. Yet, I was using Safari to go on the website. Anyways, I found a similar item but it had a different UPC. I apologized, and moved on.

He followed me to the checklanes and started yelling at me. Starting berating me and Target's price match rules. Called AP and LOD over, and the LOD explained that I was 100% correct and was following procedure. UPC has to match, as it has to be the same item. The guy starts yelling at the LOD, saying it took me 15 minutes to look up the product. (False, as I was on my meal and had my walkie on a low volume the whole time. There were no GSTL/GSA calls until a moment after I walked on the floor, and it took all of 3 minutes to do the actual lookup.)

The LOD backed me up to the very end, but then vibe'd and let the guest know that he would make the exception and do the price match for a similar product. I walked to the nearest register, did the adjustment, and told the guy to have a nice day and that I was sorry for the hassle. Yanked the receipt from my hand, and walked away cursing.

So it begins...

Any horror stories as of yet?

I came back from my meal, and was called right over to Guest Service. Made eye contact, was friendly with the guest. They had an item and wanted to price match with Best Buy. It was a $20 difference. Well, I typed in the UPC and Best Buy said the item was only available in-store, and didn't give a price. I, politely, indicated the item didn't qualify for a pricematch. He became upset, and said he found it on the website just fine. He said the app I was using sucked and was terrible, and said he saw it on the website plain as day. Yet, I was using Safari to go on the website. Anyways, I found a similar item but it had a different UPC. I apologized, and moved on.

He followed me to the checklanes and started yelling at me. Starting berating me and Target's price match rules. Called AP and LOD over, and the LOD explained that I was 100% correct and was following procedure. UPC has to match, as it has to be the same item. The guy starts yelling at the LOD, saying it took me 15 minutes to look up the product. (False, as I was on my meal and had my walkie on a low volume the whole time. There were no GSTL/GSA calls until a moment after I walked on the floor, and it took all of 3 minutes to do the actual lookup.)

The LOD backed me up to the very end, but then vibe'd and let the guest know that he would make the exception and do the price match for a similar product. I walked to the nearest register, did the adjustment, and told the guy to have a nice day and that I was sorry for the hassle. Yanked the receipt from my hand, and walked away cursing.

So it begins...

I have a no swearing at my coworkers policy. He wouldn't have made it past guest service.

My only concern about the UPC matching is that sometimes the stores get the same product with different UPCs. Heck, sometimes we get the same product with different UPCs.

Now, question...I know it wasn't an okay price match because the item had no price. But if it was available in store, do we price match Best Buy? Obviously I need to double check the exclusions....

My first price match attempt, I had to call up the GSTL to the service desk because the STL hadn't released the iPad to the floor yet, nor did I have any sense of what we were doing outside of what I had read here. The guest was not happy when I pointed out that GameStop was not one of our predetermined competitors. And he wouldn't let it go....it was like we were speaking a different language. They are like dogs with bones, I tell ya.

I have a no swearing at my coworkers policy. He wouldn't have made it past guest service.

Oh heck yea. That's one of the first questions asked at my store when the LOD is called for either a ridiculous request or something that we cannot comfortably authorize at team member or team lead level. Usually after we call the LOD to guest service we'll walk towards the LOD and intercept them so the guest doesn't hear us talking... explain the situation, and unless it's a no brainer the first question tends to be "are they nice?" It's true-- treat others like you want to be treated! If you treat me with respect, I will go sooo above and beyond for you. Rules CAN be bent and broken.... but only in the right situations. If you're berating and belittling me or my team members, it's not happening.

If I say to the TL/LOD "what can we do to make it right?" then they know I'm trying to help the guest because they've been nice, and it's coming out of my own desire to help. I they don't hear those words, they proceed with a bit more caution.

My first price match attempt, I had to call up the GSTL to the service desk because the STL hadn't released the iPad to the floor yet, nor did I have any sense of what we were doing outside of what I had read here. The guest was not happy when I pointed out that GameStop was not one of our predetermined competitors. And he wouldn't let it go....it was like we were speaking a different language. They are like dogs with bones, I tell ya.

I can see where we will have issues explaining that a store that may share a parking lot with us or is across the street and sells the same item is NOT a competitor.

I did my first price match on my own tonight! A guest brought up three twilight movies and insisted Walmart had them cheaper. So, I grabbed the iPad and checked it out. The first one Walmart didn't carry. The second one had Target exclusive content. The third one, we finally had a winner and I was able to price match it!

Instead of paying $13, they were able to get it for $12.96.

It was a lot of time for four cents....especially to double check and convince them that Walmart didn't carry the first one. If there had been a line, it really would have been a serious waste of time. But, with no line, it was good "practice" for me.

My only concern about the UPC matching is that sometimes the stores get the same product with different UPCs. Heck, sometimes we get the same product with different UPCs.

Now, question...I know it wasn't an okay price match because the item had no price. But if it was available in store, do we price match Best Buy? Obviously I need to double check the exclusions....

According to the price match training on the iPad as long as it is the same item, is instock online, and the price is available online without having to log in to see it, it's a green light.

On a side note I had to help a TM through price matching today and noticed that when it came to the competitor list, they updated it! It now features Amazon as K1 as well as walmart and best buy online!

I find myself price-matching a good amount. Usually it's only about $10 or so difference, and I feel like it's probably better to match and get the sale than stick to some policy and make the guest not-so-happy. Since they usually have the ad with them or we can look it up on a smartphone, I can see the price right away and use my judgement from there.

Also, i dont bother people about red-cards every time. Lot of freedom back in electronics

I find myself price-matching a good amount. Usually it's only about $10 or so difference, and I feel like it's probably better to match and get the sale than stick to some policy and make the guest not-so-happy. Since they usually have the ad with them or we can look it up on a smartphone, I can see the price right away and use my judgement from there.

Also, i dont bother people about red-cards every time. Lot of freedom back in electronics

Is your AAR green?

Are you allowed to price match back in electronics? I'm not sure if our TMs are allowed to/have the capability to or not. Or are you just doing a regular price adjustment? Luckily there's no judgement to use. Either it's the exact item or it's not.

Are you allowed to price match back in electronics? I'm not sure if our TMs are allowed to/have the capability to or not. Or are you just doing a regular price adjustment? Luckily there's no judgement to use. Either it's the exact item or it's not.

If you are Service Desk trained, I would absolutely empower you to do price matches in electronics! That's an example of "going the extra inch" for the guest, and saving them a trip to GS. If you're not trained, ask your GSTL or GSTM how to do price matching so you can help them out.

Don't think so.... however i noticed pharmacy had some different price matching options (K1 Change Amt), so maybe Elec does...

I would think ap would have a major conniption fit if we were changing prices for price match and using it as guest price challenge, ad replacement (whatever it's called). And I'm sure target is keeping track of who we are price matching and for what and would like that information.

If electronics has those options and has been trained in all the exclusions, I'm certainly willing to share the price match load!

If you are Service Desk trained, I would absolutely empower you to do price matches in electronics! That's an example of "going the extra inch" for the guest, and saving them a trip to GS. If you're not trained, ask your GSTL or GSTM how to do price matching so you can help them out.

I believe only the Service Desk registers have the button for the new price match policy since that's what my ETL told me when I was getting trained on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back