Archived Let's talk Money

Do you believe Target compensation is fair based on the work you perform?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All --

In lieu of the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday and the forced labor that Target requires on this holiday I thought I would share what the average yearly salary is of Target Employee's. I hope this opens up a discussion, particularly if you knew about this salary and if you think it's fair. I know this forum has a large diversity of team members from management down. (All reported salaries are from glassdoor.com)

• Store Team Leader (113 reported employee salaries) - Average yearly base salary $110,163. Average compensation (after bonus and stock bonus) $130,082. Bi-weekly pay: $5003. Hourly Pay equivalent: $62.54.
  • Executive Team Leader (742 reported employee salaries) - Average yearly base salary $57,525. Average compensation (after all bonuses) $58,625. Bi-weekly pay: $2,212.50. Hourly pay equivalent: $27.66.
  • Senior Team Leader (33 reported employee salaries) - Average yearly income $37,056. Bi-weekly pay: $1,544. Hourly pay: $19.30.
  • Team Leader (226 reported employee salaries) - Average yearly income $28,800. Bi-weekly pay: $1,200. Hourly pay: $15.00
  • Team Member (946 reported employee salaries) - Average yearly income $16,627. Bi-weekly pay: $692.80. Hourly pay: $8.66.
Note: all reported salaries are before taxes. All bi-weekly wages have been normalized to 40 hour work week for illustration purposes.

Just for an example on how these compensations compare to other professions:

• Doctor (8,214 reported salaries) - $191,501.
  • Police officer (419 salaries) - $57,000
  • EMT (217 salaries) - $32,428.
2014 POVERTY GUIDELINES FOR THE 48 CONTIGUOUS STATES
AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
Persons in family/household
Poverty guideline
For families/households with more than 8 persons, add $4,060 for each additional person.
1 $11,670
2 15,730
3 19,790
4 23,850
5 27,910
6 31,970
7 36,030
8 40,090

So if you're a team member supporting a family of three you are already at the poverty level. I do want to clarify on something, not matter what the situation is we are blessed to have a job since others out there do not. However, if Target requires so much work and sacrifice of their employees especially that of team members their pay should be around $13-15 an hour. Costco average for a cashier is $15.80.

I hope that all of you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, many of us are blessed and we have a loving family by each of our sides. I hope that Target can be an example of responsibility and fairness for the assets that make this company succeed: Their employees.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. Thanks for posting.

I actually do feel I am paid a fair amount for the work I do. But I have been at Target for over 10 years.

My problem is that I have to push back a lot because the management is always trying to force me to do more or take on more responsibility, which I do not want.

For example ... When my boss is in vacation, I immediately am called upon to lead the team. I can do it, but I don't think I should. I am not compensated for it. And I do not want to promote. So I have to push back against the ETL-LOG every time.

Been working for the company since 2002. Still a team member, making roughly 24k a year. Reason I voted no is because there are people making more than me doing way less and without the responsibilities I have.

Very interesting post. Though the poverty guide is crazy, there is no way someone can live on so little.

I belive everyone should make a living wage, if you work full time you should not live in poverty.

I don't see Spot makeing any positive changes when it comes to compensation,there are still to many people who don't care about the shrinking middle class and stagnet wages.

Very interesting post. Though the poverty guide is crazy, there is no way someone can live on so little.

I belive everyone should make a living wage, if you work full time you should not live in poverty.

I don't see Spot makeing any positive changes when it comes to compensation,there are still to many people who don't care about the shrinking middle class and stagnet wages.

Of course, if you do try to talk about there are people who will try to accuse you of class warfare.

I make 400 some a week after taxes. Commission is between 400 and 2000 a month. I think that's fair considering my skill set, experience and output. #buti'mtargetmobile

Great post. This is a discussion we need to have.

Many opponents of a wage increase for minimum wage workers is that those workers are high school -.college students. The interesting aspect of this is that retail workers are a large majority of the US workforce. No matter what you say these high school - college students do have children of their own, trying to save/pay for school. There are also dedicated team members who work so hard here at Target who are of adult age. The responsbilites have increased, their work/stress has increased. ETL and STL annual bonus comes from the hard work and sacrifice of team members. The bonus depends on payroll (cutting hours when possible), guest service scores (which majority comes from team members) and other things. Team members get no bonus but instead have to work on thanksgiving?.

Spot won't change anything.
Of course not Target is shrinking its team member numbers in their stores but not increasing their pay to compensate for this added work/responsibilities. The only way Spot will change is if customers put pressure. For example Costco has gotten such good publicity for the great pay and benefits of their basic employees (cashiers, stockers). Their sales have increased as well of their membership. Target has this impression that it's better to work for than Wal Mart. I don't believe it is any different.

Those numbers are obviously bogus. The average hourly TM rate might be right, but not the bi-weekly check, that'd mean the average TM works 44 hours per week on average. No TM's get overtime every single week, very few ever get 40 hours.

The idea of a national poverty level is also ridiculous.

The economy varies tremendously from one area of the country to another.

Last edited:
Those numbers are obviously bogus. The average hourly TM rate might be right, but not the bi-weekly check, that'd mean the average TM works 44 hours per week on average. No TM's get overtime every single week, very few ever get 40 hours.
I got these numbers from a website calculator to determine the annual pay and bi weekly pay based on hourly pay. I apologize that it's off. Just wanted to illustrate to everyone what the pay would be if everyone worked 40 hours a week.

Just wanted to illustrate to everyone what the pay would be if everyone worked 40 hours a week.

• Team Member (946 reported employee salaries) - Average yearly income $18,429. Bi-weekly pay: $768. Hourly pay: $8.66.
Assuming $8.66, bi-weekly at 40 hours is $692.80 and $18,012.80 per year.

Even assuming 40 hours it'd be inaccurate.

I think on average most TM's work more like ~25 hours a week. They owe holiday pay to those that work 30, so they try their best at my store to not let TM's average 30 hours. Same thing with other benefits that require averaging 32.

Last edited:
I just updated my original post, sorry for not checking those numbers when I first posted them.

Target tries to keep tm's below 32 hours on an average so that when the new year comes around they don't have to shell out for the benefits. IF you use 31 hours as an average
On average a Team Member who makes 9.15 an hour - Yearly income would be income would be roughly- Average yearly income $14,749.80. Bi-weekly pay: $567.30. This is all before taxes and any deductions.
It puts you just above the poverty level if you are alone and have one other person in your family who has to rely on your income.
The good thing is, you may also qualify for obamacare (or state medical), ebt cards, and state issued other supplements that you (the tm) and I and all other tax payers are paying for - even Target. So if they really looked at it more carefully, is it better to pay the tm more and have them be self sufficient or is it better to get some sort of tax breaks - which I haven't researched...It certainly is a bumble*uck - and this is not just for target, it's in regards to all corporations who pay low wages. Personally, I don't like it that I can't get health ins unless I pay an arm and a leg (don't qualify for obamacare because of a small self employed business I have.) Wait, I take that back, I can get the insurance, but I have to pay full price with no tax cuts. It's a horrible circle that hasn't been thought out completely by govt, and on the small level, Target hasn't really thought out the implications of paying people a hair above minimum.. They think they have but they really haven't.

OK, I am rambling about a big thorn in my side, I will stop.. The only thing that makes me happy is that those people who are making lots of money, also pay lots more taxes then I do, so more of their money goes into paying for the state run agencies that the underpaid have to rely on in order to survive. When you use your ebt card, thank Target, because they are paying for it, along with you.

I finished my rant.. You all have a great Sunday

Now that I get Team Lead pay, I feel like I am compensated fairly. It's still not much when you break it down, though. The wages seem to get more fair the higher in the ladder you climb. For what team members are expected to get done, especially the Salesfloor TMs and the Logistics TMs, the pay is laughable. I think our cashiers are paid fairly for what they do (probably an unpopular opinion).

Your team member salary post is inaccurate. It assumes a 40 hour work week. Hardly any team members get 40 hrs. It's one of the things that finally pushed me out the door.
In addition, the STL and ETL hourly estimates are inaccurate. They rarely work 40 hrs a week, up to 50 or even 60 4th quarter.

Sadly people that make more money often pay a smaller percentage then low wage earners. They have the money to find the loopholes and stash money away in offshore accounts. Heck some business like GE pay no taxes, who are the moochers now?

Now that I get Team Lead pay, I feel like I am compensated fairly. It's still not much when you break it down, though. The wages seem to get more fair the higher in the ladder you climb. For what team members are expected to get done, especially the Salesfloor TMs and the Logistics TMs, the pay is laughable. I think our cashiers are paid fairly for what they do (probably an unpopular opinion).

I guess cashier would be relative. Imo, we expect more from our cashiers than some other retailers - I'm thinking grocery in particular - yet pay the same or less.

Your team member salary post is inaccurate. It assumes a 40 hour work week. Hardly any team members get 40 hrs. It's one of the things that finally pushed me out the door.
In addition, the STL and ETL hourly estimates are inaccurate. They rarely work 40 hrs a week, up to 50 or even 60 4th quarter.

I was going to say the same thing. Our ETL-Log regularly puts in 70 hour work weeks, in addition to working away from the store. When you really break down the hours worked, a lot of our TLs (especially the seniors) make more per hour than our ETLs.

I kinda feel the same. I'm a fan getting paid depending on how much to actually need to learn, know and do. Especially when it's a positions that can really mess up a stores numbers.

Receiving, Backroom, Instocks, and Flow are all underpaid positions. This is probably a really unpopular opinion but why should the guys unloading the 2700 + trailer in the heat, or the ones trying to meet unrealistic CAF times while running up and down ladders all day only make about 50 cents more than a Cashier or SFTM that stands around in the A/C all day. It's no wonder that the LOG team has the highest turnover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back