Locality-specific pay increases

It will be very interesting to see what happens to retail wage levels after December 25th (Christmas). Target isn't attracting as many new applicants as usual. What makes this rather perverse is that there's not any pay transparency for existing TMs.

It will be very interesting to see what happens to retail wage levels after December 25th (Christmas). Target isn't attracting as many new applicants as usual. What makes this rather perverse is that there's not any pay transparency for existing TMs.
What do you mean there isn't any pay transparency? Do you mean in different cities or in the same store? Because pretty much 100% of team members who have worked for Target for less than 15-20 years make within $1 of the minimum, so transparency isn't really needed if you're trying to figure out others at your own store. If it's for another city, you'd have to figure out what their starting rate is.

Its a store wide bump nobody gets more then others if you make more then the new minimum already you get nothing.
Not true, this time they’re giving more to people who have been there for 4 years or more. I had a team leader that makes well over the minimum and he still got a bump too since he’s been there for a while

Not true, this time they’re giving more to people who have been there for 4 years or more. I had a team leader that makes well over the minimum and he still got a bump too since he’s been there for a while

Same at my store. I'm well over the new minimum and I got a nice increase. About time.

Last edited:

Interesting. At my store it was a whole store bump. I've been there 5+ years and didn't get anything different than everyone else. It'd be nice if that was rolled out company wide.

Oh thats good to know. It just hasnt ever really happened before. We still haven't had an increase so id take anything lol.

Last edited:
Its true people are getting different raises at my store. A beauty tm been there for 5years got 2 bucks. New tms got 50 cents. They are still telling peoole what thry got but its very lopsided it seems. Specialty sales seem to be getting more than others though so far. It seems our starting pay is staying at 15 though

This is all very, very interesting. Like others, our store has lost TMs and TLs who have quit to take other jobs over the past three months. So it sounds like on a store-by-store level, the minimum base is increased but additional raises quietly offered to the most-valued TMs and TLs to keep them from quitting as well.

When I mention pay transparency, I speak of pay grade ranges not being available for TMs and TLs to review on request. Pay transparency has become a major buzzword recently as a controversial concept so that employees can benchmark their pay against the range offered for their peers within their company.

IMHO a TM should get paid more if they can work in more departments.

For example if you can do OPUs and be a Cashier you should get paid more.

This is all very, very interesting. Like others, our store has lost TMs and TLs who have quit to take other jobs over the past three months. So it sounds like on a store-by-store level, the minimum base is increased but additional raises quietly offered to the most-valued TMs and TLs to keep them from quitting as well.

When I mention pay transparency, I speak of pay grade ranges not being available for TMs and TLs to review on request. Pay transparency has become a major buzzword recently as a controversial concept so that employees can benchmark their pay against the range offered for their peers within their company.
I see what you're saying, but I don't really care what the pay range is if everyone is making the same anyway. Effectively, the range is $15-$15.75 ($15 for new hires, $15.75 would be the maximum for anyone who received the top review score IIRC) for at least 99% of the team members at the 15-20 stores closest to me.

Although from the sound of it, that may not be true anymore in other cities.

For us I was TLs only No TM increase. I believe it was all based of area wages, turnover and ability to hire. We have a really easy time hiring TMs but have a hard time getting it keeping TLs because the pay was so low compared to other local retailers for management level jobs

For us I was TLs only No TM increase. I believe it was all based of area wages, turnover and ability to hire. We have a really easy time hiring TMs but have a hard time getting it keeping TLs because the pay was so low compared to other local retailers for management level jobs
Opposite for us. We have an easy time hiring TLs, but have trouble finding good TMs when no one in town is paying less than us

Its true people are getting different raises at my store. A beauty tm been there for 5years got 2 bucks. New tms got 50 cents. They are still telling peoole what thry got but its very lopsided it seems. Specialty sales seem to be getting more than others though so far. It seems our starting pay is staying at 15 though

If they are bringing back pay bumps for "specialty" then they should bump up pay for those of us who act as GSA when TLs aren't in the building. Seriously.

If they are bringing back pay bumps for "specialty" then they should bump up pay for those of us who act as GSA when TLs aren't in the building. Seriously.
That won't happen unless they bring back the GSA position, which they won't.

Opposite for us. We have an easy time hiring TLs, but have trouble finding good TMs when no one in town is paying less than us
I think an external TL hire would be smart enough to negotiate a job offer.

However anyone is willing to work retail now wants more flexibility in their working schedules for school, kids, etc.

For example a TL at my store is upset one of her TMs isn't willing to work on Black Friday.

This TM has never worked Fridays.

Last edited:
Has any TL ever asked for and gotten a raise? I have heard that it needs DSD approval, but does the DSD even care?

Back