Archived Locked in the store!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So last night a team member at my store was locked in after closing. The LOD set the alarm and left the store with the rest of the team members like normal. The team member that got locked in was still zoneing. The team member didnt know what to do, so he called 911. And the fire department and police had to come in to break into the store to let the team member out. Crazy right?

And that LOD is now on a final, likely. I'm sure it isn't the first or last time that will happen at a store. I have many LOD numbers in my phone...but not everyone is that lucky, I know.

During my first yr I was sent to another dept to zone & had no walkie so I was left behind when they called everybody up. We were an ON store & I was finishing up as the ON team rolled out.
The ON ETL saw me & said "Ya know, they left about 20 minutes ago....":eek:
He took down the alarm & watched me all the way out to my car.
And yeh, the closing ETL got bawled out the next day.

During my first yr I was sent to another dept to zone & had no walkie so I was left behind when they called everybody up. We were an ON store & I was finishing up as the ON team rolled out.
The ON ETL saw me & said "Ya know, they left about 20 minutes ago....":eek:
He took down the alarm & watched me all the way out to my car.
And yeh, the closing ETL got bawled out the next day.

My overnight leaders would probably punch you in and have you help the flow team. :D

If I hadn't already put in an 11-hr day, I probably would've helped!

When I was Kmart, we had an employee locked in the store the WHOLE NIGHT.

He was out in the garden shop, putting away last minutes layaway into storage (it was the holiday season, and the indoor part of the garden center is converted into a makeshift layayway storage area until Spring). Everyone else in the main part of the store zoning.

The manager had to leave in a hurry... His mom was in a nursing home and he was called by nurse for something.

So he got on the PA and paged everyone to service desk. Everyone came up... Except for Bob, who was still in the garden shop. Bob was an older gentleman who was hard of hearing....

So we left. The manager assumed the service desk person let Bob out and the service desk person thought the manager let him out.

Anywho, Bob realized he was left behind when the lights out. Now, Bob didn't have a cell phone and the phone in the garden shop needed a PIN code to dial an external call. And Bob knew that the alarm would go off if he tried to go back into the main part of the store... So he spent the night in the garden shop.

He wasn't outside, but the indoor part of the garden shop isn't heated.... So I'm sure he was quite cold. What a surprise for the 4AM opener.

From them on, the manager had to a double check of the store and if Bob was working, giving him a time to be back up at the service desk.

So last night a team member at my store was locked in after closing. The LOD set the alarm and left the store with the rest of the team members like normal. The team member that got locked in was still zoneing. The team member didnt know what to do, so he called 911. And the fire department and police had to come in to break into the store to let the team member out. Crazy right?
Isn't there an overnight team? And if the police and fire dept came and broke in, why didnt the employee just open the door and set the alarm off. The police were already there. So when the police station got the call that the alarm was going off, they would have already known and then the person on file - maybe stl? Would have gotten a call from the alarm company and they would either have to come in to reset the alarm or the alarm company could do the reset.. At least that would all make sense, but then again....it is target.

Yep, my store isn't overnight...I believe there's only one ON store in my district. At my store, you would have to know which door to go out that would set the alarm off, but still leave the store locked...hint, there is only one, and no one ever uses it unless they are doing a private walk of shame. And I am certain we would have TMs who wouldn't be able to figure out which door that is.

Isn't there an overnight team? And if the police and fire dept came and broke in, why didnt the employee just open the door and set the alarm off. The police were already there. So when the police station got the call that the alarm was going off, they would have already known and then the person on file - maybe stl? Would have gotten a call from the alarm company and they would either have to come in to reset the alarm or the alarm company could do the reset.. At least that would all make sense, but then again....it is target.

We don't have a overnight team.

We had a TM nearly locked in the store one night...she was a closing cashier, so we thought she left after the last guest. Turns out she was waiting for a ride, so she went to the break room. Luckily as I was getting my stuff out of my locker, I heard her talking on her phone. If TMs are that stupid, I guarantee they wouldn't be able to figure out how to get out of the building without unlocking a door.

This is why, when I close GSA, I always help the LOD make sure everyone is out of the building...though with myTime everyone leaves at close now except for the GSA and LOD. Making sure the building is empty and that it is secure are so important...and definitely deserve finals if not done. But it's probably the worst thing in the world to get put on a final for when it can be so easily avoided with a bit of teamwork. Since I like (most of) them, I will do whatever I can to help double check things on our way out...cash office armed, TMs out...no extra cars in the parking lot, building armed...watch the LOD double check to be sure the doors are secure...all little things just to be sure everything is kosher and they sleep well that night.

We currently have an LOD on a final for not properly securing the building. I'm glad I wasn't with her that night when it happened.

I would have laughed if you had said that the team member bashed one of the windows out at the entrance to get out.

I'm glad I have one TL's phone number and have the ability to easily contact a handful of others if needed.

At my store, you would have to know which door to go out that would set the alarm off, but still leave the store locked...hint, there is only one, and no one ever uses it unless they are doing a private walk of shame.

Uhh, surely the door that people come in who start before the store opens fits that description? It'd the door we leave out when closing too once all the others are locked.

Our TM door gets deadbolted at night, so it can't be opened from the inside unless someone with a key unlocks it. Of course, we have an overnight process, so one of the logistics leaders would turn off the alarm and unlock the door.

If I were in that situation and couldn't get a hold of anyone, I'd go out the emergency exit.

Our TM door gets deadbolted at night, so it can't be opened from the inside unless someone with a key unlocks it. Of course, we have an overnight process, so one of the logistics leaders would turn off the alarm and unlock the door.

If I were in that situation and couldn't get a hold of anyone, I'd go out the emergency exit.

Hmm, I didn't know that got deadbolted, seems weird, as the door is ALWAYS locked from the outside, you have to be buzzed in to open it from the outside. If it's not that door I'd imagine it must be the door near receiving?

At my store, you would have to know which door to go out that would set the alarm off, but still leave the store locked...hint, there is only one, and no one ever uses it unless they are doing a private walk of shame.

Uhh, surely the door that people come in who start before the store opens fits that description? It'd the door we leave out when closing too once all the others are locked.

You mean the middle manual door in between the automatic doors where the cart attendant is supposed to come through with the carts? Uhh...no...that's dead bolted at close, and can only be unlocked with a key. And after close we leave out the automatic doors...which are also dead bolted upon the LOD exiting the building.

No, I meant the door near the TSC in our store. It has an alarm on it and is disarmed after everything else is locked so the closers can leave.

We also use it if coming in before 8 AM.

No, I meant the door near the TSC in our store. It has an alarm on it and is disarmed after everything else is locked so the closers can leave.

We also use it if coming in before 8 AM.

You mean the fire door out of the TSC? Yeah, we don't use that door unless, well, there's a fire. It's armed 24/7.

Weird, we use it daily. There's a camera pointing at it that is viewable from the HR office. If we come in before 8 AM we come to the door and press a button next to it and get let in by whoever is at the HR office, they have a button that when pushed briefly unlocks/disarms the door.

Nah...when I first started the opening LOD would hang a walkie on the second manual door in the entrance, and we would have to walkie for someone to let us in. Now they just leave both sets of doors unlocked so we can come in and just do our thing without some poor soul having to stop what they are doing and run and open the door every two minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back