Archived Locked Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is receiving different for ON? Why are you the one accepting the food truck and not receiver or flow? I've never heard of having to close the bay door or set the alarm to walk away for a moment.

At our store, between 12am-6am, the alarm had to be armed. We could only disarm it for TMs coming in and for the food truck. For the food truck, a key carrier or TL had to be in the backroom while the bay doors were open (because they can only open while the alarm is disarmed). If I stepped away from the backroom while the alarm was down, or a TL stepped away, our AP would be all over us for an alarm violation. For the truck unload - our district had a 30 min unload requirement. The driver expected us to hit that 30 minutes, whether the food pallets went to a cooler or not. Most nights I had 2700+ GM truck, 12 food pallets, and 15 TMs to push it all.

Most of my time with Target I was the only leader on a shift. I couldn't be in multiple places at one time. When I did have TLs, they weren't key carriers and I didn't want them babysitting the food truck unload while the flow team is still pushing. But yes, we had to have the alarm armed if we weren't near the receiving door. Strict AP.

At my store, the overnight TLs are key carriers, so they're usually the ones who take down the alarm and open the door. @Mhugh220, were your TLs not allowed to open the door or were they busy with the team?

We didn't have key carriers and my STL claimed that only SrTLs could be key carriers. I asked for a Sr.TL and she laughed. Now they have a Sr.TL but they removed ETL-Replenishment - I guess the store got their ON Sr.TL.

The DTL is sent a log of excessive take-downs of the alarm system. So each time the door has to be disarmed for a late TM that arrived out of the acceptable time frame, it goes in that log. Too many logs, then the DTL will be on the STL to find out why.... Poop rolls down. Solution, don't be late.

@raspberry - technically you weren't late. I thought company policy was 5 minutes before and 7 minutes after scheduled time. Unless you were 12 minutes after scheduled time. If the LOD was waiting at the door she should have been there until 7 minutes after. Also, she should have a grid and checked people off as they came in. She should have known you were scheduled and waited until you arrived. If she wasn't going to be there she could have let you in at the receiving door or put a note on the door.

I always asked the POG TL if his team was here before I left (they always worked 3am or 4am).

Either way - sometimes LODs get caught up with something. I know I honestly didn't hear the bell or I was trapped in the BR. She should have at least apologized for the inconvenience. It was rare for me to leave the TMs out there any longer than necessary. When I first started I sucked at being at the door on time. Then I started to surprise them and have the door ready as soon as they arrived. It became an expectation for me to be there. So when I wasn't they knew I was busy.

My store wont allow us to clock in until right at your scheduled time. So, if you are scheduled for 7 am, you cant clock in at 655 or 659...has to be 7. So, on non truck days that's fine...I get there a couple minutes before my scheduled time....clock in on time and I am ready to go. Truck days...there are three times the amount of people waiting in line to clock in. So., unless you are going to get there 10 minutes before you can clock in ( to wait in line at the time clock) Someone is going to be late clocking in ( even though they were there on time)

Alarm exception reporting is something AP looks into every week. Too much disarming/rearming of the alarm (or at the wrong time), or left unarmed for too long at the wrong time, etc, are all things that create exceptions. We then have good camera coverage of all of the entrances/exits (of course) and may review video to determine what was the cause. AP may or may not follow up with leaders at a particular store, but if AP escalates the issue, you CAN have the APBP/DTL get involved. And that's when it hits the fan.

The point is, and it's been said already by Mhugh and others, but there is likely more going on at 3:30AM than the ETL was lazy or felt like teaching the TM a lesson.

My store wont allow us to clock in until right at your scheduled time. So, if you are scheduled for 7 am, you cant clock in at 655 or 659...has to be 7. So, on non truck days that's fine...I get there a couple minutes before my scheduled time....clock in on time and I am ready to go. Truck days...there are three times the amount of people waiting in line to clock in. So., unless you are going to get there 10 minutes before you can clock in ( to wait in line at the time clock) Someone is going to be late clocking in ( even though they were there on time)
That is rediculous.

As a former manager I would much rather pay the extra 5 minutes to have my team there and ready to get equipment and actually work at the scheduled time.

Thankfully my store's management seems to agree, so long as the extra few minutes don't put you into overtime (but they generally only schedule for 39.5 hours to allow for this).

I'm a flow TL who is often the only key carrier for about a 3 hour period. Some days I will literally spend over an hour at the door with no one supervising the flow team. Starting with the new year, I would only let team members come in during that ten minute window. But it is not a surprise to any of them, it was discussed in several huddles before I started leaving people outside until the next ten minute window. I had already been on the APBP's report for having the door open over ten minutes several times in December.

That is rediculous.

As a former manager I would much rather pay the extra 5 minutes to have my team there and ready to get equipment and actually work at the scheduled time.

Thankfully my store's management seems to agree, so long as the extra few minutes don't put you into overtime (but they generally only schedule for 39.5 hours to allow for this).
To you and I it seems ridiculous(rightfully so)...to my stores leadership its the best thing since sliced bread .

We didn't have key carriers and my STL claimed that only SrTLs could be key carriers. I asked for a Sr.TL and she laughed. Now they have a Sr.TL but they removed ETL-Replenishment - I guess the store got their ON Sr.TL.

Either your STL caught the dumb or she just didn't want to give your TLs the $1 raise for being key carriers. Our flow TL and overnight backroom TL are both key carriers. Between them, the ETL-Logistics, and SrTL-Replenishment, we usually have 3 key carriers any given night. Before AE14, we also had an ETL-Replenishment as well as a second flow TL.

Either your STL caught the dumb or she just didn't want to give your TLs the $1 raise for being key carriers. Our flow TL and overnight backroom TL are both key carriers. Between them, the ETL-Logistics, and SrTL-Replenishment, we usually have 3 key carriers any given night. Before AE14, we also had an ETL-Replenishment as well as a second flow TL.
They have a new STL now and the TLs still aren't key carriers. Just a Log and sr.TL who only overlap once a week.

My Log-ETL and I only work the same truck once a week. We are on opposite weekends, he is the opening LOD twice a week, so not on the truck nor does he really bother with it when he LODs, and then we have our regular days off. I run 2-3 trucks by myself and he does maybe 1-2 by himself.

To you and I it seems ridiculous(rightfully so)...to my stores leadership its the best thing since sliced bread .
I see why they did this. Their thought - "if each team member clocked in 5 mins early and left 5 mins after schedule, that's 10 minutes extra per shift per TM."

Say the average TM gets 3 shifts a week. 10 minutes extra each shift x 3 shifts a week x 100 TMs / 60 minutes in a hour = 50 hours added to payroll. Say everyone does it - for a store with 200 TMs, that's 100 hours added to payroll. Now 4 shifts = 133 hours for 200 TMs.

What happens when TMs work past schedule - or people are added frivolously - this adds to the 100+ hours. If your team was anything like mine, they all knew they could get an extra 10 minutes a day without it being a violation.

But what your leadership doesn't understand is how much time is wasted waiting in line to clock in. It only takes away from the process. We understood this possibility and always had spare hours left aside to deal with it. Limiting the clock to exact scheduled time is not much of a savings.

I can understand their reasoning and on non truck days its really not that much of an issue. However, on truck days its just a pain. I wish they would at least allow people to start clocking in 2 minutes prior to their shift starting ( on truck days) so the line to clock in isn't so out of control.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back